What We Do
We work with all students interested in studying off-campus/abroad to carefully consider programs to complement their on-campus studies, to prepare for successful studies off-campus, and to return to Bates supported and guided through next steps. With international students, we provide orientations, programming, and advising throughout the year to support successful engagements with life and learning in the US. With faculty, we partner to support global teaching (through Fall Semester Abroad and Short Term Off-Campus courses), opportunities for international site visits, professional development abroad, and connecting with colleagues across campus to develop international programming and global curricula.
Connect with us and come by the Center for Global Education in Roger Williams Hall to learn more!
Especially for students
We work to ensure that all students engaged in global education while at Bates – those from abroad, studying off-campus, or both – are:
- supported academically and personally
- provided individualized advising by professional staff and student mentors
- presented with rigorous, intellectually engaging global program options – here and abroad – as part of their Bates degree
- delivered timely and accurate information regarding international health, safety and security
- assisted through passport, visa, and 1-20 processes
- guided through off-campus study applications
- advised as to the impact of changes to the legal frameworks affecting global movement
- helped to navigate the specifics of life in the US and abroad
- valued as global citizens
- invited to contribute their personal and professional experiences to internationalizing the Bates campus and community.