Community-Engaged Learning Shuttle Information
This year, we will have two shuttles, one operating on a regular schedule, and the other continuing to provide a “taxi service.”
This scheduled shuttle will operate on two loops during the school day. The first loop, departing from Chase Hall on the half hour beginning at 8:30am, will stop at Longley, Martel, Lewiston High School, and Farwell.
The second loop, departing on the hour from Chase Hall beginning at 9:00am, will stop at McMahon, Montello, and Geiger.
In the afternoon, starting at 3:00pm, the scheduled shuttle will make its rounds to Tree Street and the Lewiston Public Library.
Please click here to download a copy of the current CEL shuttle schedule (fall 2013).
If a student is going to a different location, or if the shuttle arrives but is full, s/he may call our other community-engaged learning shuttle. Our “taxi” shuttle is a service that runs from 7:30am to 5pm Monday through Friday taking students to community placements in Lewiston and Auburn. Requests are made through the security dispatcher and radioed on a “first-come, first-served” basis to the driver who is in the van. Shuttle drivers know directions to all schools and most community agencies if you have the correct name.
You should go to Chase Hall and speak to the person at the Concierge Desk. The van will pick you up in front of Chase as soon as possible. You must be prepared to wait as long as 30 minutes for a ride depending on where the van is when you call. The shuttle cannot take advance “reservations.” You must be at Chase when you need the ride.
When you are ready to return, call 786-6255. It will help everyone use the shuttle more efficiently if you:
- avoid making requests for rides for distances under a mile except in inclement weather or other special circumstances;
- coordinate with other students going to the same location and make one call to the shuttle;
- plan to be picked up from your school placement by no later than 2:30pm.
Shuttle drivers will leave if you are not in a visible location when they arrive to pick you up.
If you have any concerns about the shuttle service, including extended—over 30 minute—waits, they should be emailed to Ron Lessard (email@example.com). Concerns are monitored and efforts are made to address them. Thank you for your cooperation.
Other Ways to Get Around
If you choose to use a means of transportation other than the shuttle, please bear the following in mind:
- We are close to downtown; you can often walk or bike (especially great with friends) to your community partnership sites.
- There is a public bus service (known as the Purple Bus) in Lewiston/Auburn. You can find schedules, fares, and route information online at http://www.purplebus.org/public/.
- Bates College has a Zipcar service. Read more and sign up at http://www.bates.edu/Prebuilt/ZipcarFlier.pdf.
- If you choose to ride in a private vehicle, the primary insurance coverage is that of the vehicle. So if you decide to drive three buddies in your car to a volunteer event, your car’s insurance is what will take care of everyone if anything happens. Similarly, if you borrow a friend’s car, his/her insurance will be primary.