Mission, Vision, and Goals
The Harward Center advances the College’s commitment to informed civic action and responsible stewardship of the wider world through reciprocal and sustained partnerships that simultaneously meet community needs, enhance academic work, and develop leaders who are empowered to enact social and environmental change. We foster sensitivity and confidence to engage cross-culturally and encourage collaborative inquiry into issues of local and global significance.
For insight into our approach to community engagement, please consider this brief article by Harward Center director Darby Ray.
Every student will have the skills and inspiration to collaborate with diverse others to advance the greater good.
Goals and Objectives
The Harward Center supports diverse curricular and co-curricular experiences through which participants develop:
- Recognizing oneself as a member of a larger social and ecological fabric
- Recognizing oneself as a citizen with the capacity and responsibility to work with others to advance the greater good
- Developing self-awareness about the impact of one’s choices on different constituencies and entities, including the planet
Civic inquiry and deliberation
- Inquiring about the civic and environmental dimensions and public consequences of a subject of study or course of action
- Considering differing points of view and making informed moral and civic judgments
- Deliberating with others to define public problems and identify constructive approaches for addressing those problems
- Working to build, sustain, reform, and improve the communities to which one belongs
- Collaborating with others—often across lines of cultural, partisan, racial, or economic difference—to address common problems and shape common life
- Advancing the full participation of all people in the decision-making processes that affect their lives and communities