Housing Accommodations

All students admitted to Bates College enjoy full access to its programs and services. We acknowledge that some students with disabilities will require individual accommodations, advice, and assistance in order to succeed at Bates, particularly with regards to their housing on campus.

We define disability in accordance with the two most pertinent federal laws, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. The definition specifies that a disabled person is one who is physically or mentally impaired to the point that one or more major life activities is substantially limited, has a record of having such an impairment, or is considered one who can perform the essential functions in spite of the handicap.

If you have a disability that you believe may require an accommodation, please visit the Residence Life and Housing Accommodations page on the Accessible Education website. (Note: Clicking on this will bring you to the Accessible Education website.)

Service and Assistance Animals

Incoming and current Bates students wishing to request a service or assistance animal accommodation should follow the Housing Accommodations Request procedure. This includes a meeting with Abigail Nelson, Assistant Dean for Accessible Education and Student Support, and submission of the Housing Accommodations Request Form.

The extent of documentation required may depend on whether the animal is a service or assistance animal. If requesting a service animal, please contact Abigail Nelson before submitting documentation.

The deadline for housing accommodation requests is June 1 before the start of the academic year for incoming students, and February 1 before the start of the academic year for current Bates students.

Students should not bring an animal to campus until they have expressly received approval.

Please see the Service and Assistance Animals policies located on the Accessible Education website for more information.