Short Term

Conceived by the Faculty, the Short Term is a period of focused academic study when students on campus are engaged in structured coursework. All students of all class years should review the regulations below carefully, and use them in planning completion of the College’s policy and requirement of a minimum of two and a maximum of three Short Term Units.

To remain on campus in the residences and to have access to the dining services during the Short Term, students must be in one of the following categories:

(1) Be enrolled in a Short Term Unit,
(2) Be a graduating Senior who has completed three Units AND
is engaged in approved work or voluntary work on campus
or in the community,
(3) Be a full-time Voluntary Teaching Assistant for a Short Term Unit
overseen and approved by a Faculty member,
(4) Be a full-time Research Assistant approved by a Faculty member,
(5) Be a roster participant on an intercollegiate varsity team in season
(sport term – access on campus ends at season’s conclusion).

(For categories 2, 3, or 4 above, required application forms are available in the Dean of Students Office, the Housing & Residence Life Office in Lane Hall, or online below.)

Students not involved in one of the categories above will not be allowed to stay on campus nor have dining privileges for the Short Term.

Seniors who want to stay on campus and have not completed three units must take a third Short Term Unit.

Seniors who have completed three units and want to remain on campus are required to have an approved work or voluntary work commitment, or a combination of these adding up to 15 hours or more weekly. Examples are work on campus in an office or department, work or research with a Faculty member, or work in the community verifiable by the sponsoring Faculty member or the head of the volunteer organization. Seniors in this category who desire to work through the Harward Center for volunteer options and opportunities also need to review and sign an additional agreement with a designated official in that office on conscientious and consistent participation.

Students who need to submit forms for Voluntary Teaching Assistant or full-time Research Assistant are encouraged to do so during Registration Week, but no later than the beginning of April so that housing and dining arrangements may be affirmed.  A Harward Center agreement for Seniors with three Short Terms has a deadline of April 11 but preferably should be discussed and submitted soon or well prior to exam week.

As in the past, “sport term” students need to leave campus when their season is complete unless they are Seniors with three completed Short Term Units plus approved work/volunteer commitments.

The acceptable categories for staying exclude students who simply wish to remain on campus to be employed by an administrative office, to begin a thesis, or to be members of club sports teams or campus organizations. These students will need to register for one of the Short Term Units.

Administrative offices that need non-seniors as employees will need to structure the work hours to allow the student’s enrollment in a Short Term Unit.

Any student who needs clarification on whether she or he is permitted to stay for Short Term in regard to courses, housing, or meals should check with the Dean of Students, the Registrar, or the Housing & Residence Life Office.

Students not staying for Short Term are expected to conclude their stay in the houses and residence halls at the conclusion of Winter Semester. Please consult Dates for Building and Room Access and Dining Services for specifics.

Please contact Associate Dean of Students James Reese with questions related to these Short Term Regulations.

Short Term Stay Exception Forms

Graduating Seniors with Paid Full-Time Activity (for all paid work)

Graduating Seniors with Full-Time Activity (for all volunteer work)

Research Assistant

Teaching Assistant