The goal of JARC programming is to offer residents a wide variety of exciting and engaging events within the residence hall, in the wider Bates campus, and in the surrounding community. Participating in these programs should help residents build a stronger a stronger connection with each other and create a positive climate within the residence. Often times, our staff members will plan small programs for their particular center or residence, but programs can also be run in conjunction with another staff member or as a larger staff group. Residence Life staff members each have a small budget to help provide unique and well-received programs for their residents.
Junior Advisors are required to offer at least five programs for their First Year Center per semester, three of which must fit an educational theme. During the first semester, we require that JAs plan a mandatory program dealing with the issue of Sexual Assault for their Center. JAs must also complete a community engagement program, which can be conducted during either fall or winter semester.
Residence Coordinators and Residence Coordinator Team Leaders are required to offer at least three programs for their residents, one of which must fit an educational theme.
A sampling of successful programs from past Residence Life student staff members:
- Study Abroad Panel: Invited students who studied abroad shared their experiences.
- Stress Management Workshop: Students sampled stress management techniques by creating stress balls out of balloons and sand, meditation and relaxation, coloring, and Play-Dough.
- Get to Know Campus Scavenger Hunt: A program designed to orient First Year residents with campus in a fun, hands-on way with their floor mates.
- Re-Use, Re-Build, Reward Recycling Program: Creating a piece of art representing something related to Bates with materials solicited through a can and bottle drive.
- Surrogate Family Social: A party organized for those without visitors on Parents and Family Weekend.
- Tie Dye!: Expressions with Paint
- S’moresque: A community-building program making s’mores on the grill.
- Pumpkin Carving