Annual Benefits Enrollment
The 2016 Annual Benefits Enrollment period to make new elections begins on Monday, November 9th and concludes at midnight on Tuesday, November 24th.
See the 2016 Benefits Enrollment Guide for an overview of things to consider during this year’s enrollment.
You will make your benefit elections for 2016 online through the Garnet Gateway. See the Online Annual Enrollment Tutorial for More Information.
There are links to more detailed information on your benefit plan options and frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding this years enrollment.
- 2016 Medical Plan Information
- 2016 Dental and Vision Plan Information
- 2016 Reimbursement Account Information
- 2016 Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance Information
2016 Annual Benefits Enrollment Highlights:
Effective January 1, 2016 Aetna will offer three medical plan options. Medical options include:
- The Aetna PPO Plan is a traditional co-pay style medical plan with hospital services subject to a deductible and cost sharing.
- The Aetna Whole Health (ACO) Plan is similar to the PPO, but this plan provides a lower cost option, but requires use of a more limited provider network in order to access the highest level of coverage.
- Aetna Consumer Choice (HSA) Plan continues as our plan that couples a high deductible health plan with a tax advantaged Health Savings Account.
Your current medical plan elections will continue: If you wish to elect a different medical plan option in 2016 you must first cancel your current medical plan election and then elect the new one.
A Health Savings Account, or HSA for short, is a tax advantaged account that both Bates and you can contribute to and it is owned by you. You can use funds from your HSA to pay for current medical expenses (including dental and vision) for yourself and your tax dependents or save for future healthcare expenses.
Individual Benefit Enrollment Counseling Sessions: The decision of whether the Aetna PPO Plan, Aetna Whole Health (ACO) Plan or the Aetna Consumer Choice (HSA) Plan is a better fit for you is an important one. We recognize that everyone has a different set of circumstances and we want to give you the resources you need to make an informed choice. Counselors from Better Benefits ME will be available on campus for individual counseling sessions.
The Health Insurance Contribution Credit (HICC) is available for coverage under the PPO or the ACO in 2016. The HICC is not available if you choose the Aetna Consumer Choice (HSA) Plan.
Dental Insurance: There is no change in plan design for the dental plan. Payroll contributions increased slightly.
Long-term Disability (LTD) and Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) : Coverage remains with Prudential. The online annual enrollment process does not support changes to your life insurance elections. If you wish to make changes please contact Human Resources.
New Voluntary Vision Coverage: This new plan will assist with the cost of frames and lenses or contact lenses. Your preventive annual vision exam will still be covered under the medical plan at 100%.
Online enrollment will feature email notifications as well as online ability to apply for the Health Insurance Contribution Credit or Higher Dependent Care Subsidy Amounts.