Proxy Server Setup Instructions: Macintosh
These instructions are no long necessary to access Library resources. The Library now uses EZProxy to connect to Library databases. You may keep these setting if you wish. To remove these settings, please see below.
If you are not prompted for a Bates username and password, these instructions explain how to connect to the proxy server, which identifies you as an authorized Bates user when you’re connecting via a non-Bates internet service provider. When configured properly, any Bates web page that requires proxy server access will ask for your network user name and password before loading. We recommend using Firefox for all proxy access.
A. FIREFOX: FOR MACINTOSH OS 10.4.x – 10.7.x
- Under Firefox > Preferences
- Click on Advanced > Network
- Under Connection: Configure how Firefox connects to the Internet
- Click Settings
- Click to place a checkmark in Automatic proxy configuration URL
- Type in: http://proxy.bates.edu:81/bates.pac
- Click ok to exit the settings, and
- Click Reload on the webpage.
To disable the proxy server:
- Reselect Direct Connnection to the Internet
- Click OK and restart Firefox.
- When you have installed these preferences correctly on your machine, and you attempt to open a protected site from off-campus, a dialog box will appear asking for authentication:
- Enter your network user name and password