Proxy Server Setup Instructions: Windows
These instructions are no long necessary to access Library resources. The Library now uses EZProxy to connect to Library databases. You may keep these setting if you wish. To remove these settings, please see below.
If you are not prompted for a Bates username and password, these instructions explain how to connect to the proxy server, which identifies you as an authorized Bates user when you’re connecting via a non-Bates internet service provider. When configured properly, any Bates web page that requires proxy server access will ask for your network user name and password before loading. Included are configuration settings for Firefox and Internet Explorer.
- Open Firefox
- From the Tools menu, select Options
- Select Advanced
- Click on the Network tab
- Click on Settings… button to the right
- Click the Automatic Proxy Configuration URL: radio button (at bottom) then enter this URL:
- Click OK, then Reload the web page.
B. INTERNET EXPLORER:
- Open Internet Explorer
- From the Tools menu, select Internet Options
- Select the Connections tab
- Check Automatically detect settings
- Check Use automatic configuration script
- In the Address text box enter the URL:
!! IMPORTANT !! DO NOT CHECK “Use a Proxy Server…”
- Click OK, then click
- OK again to close the Internet Options window and save these settings
- Reload or Restart Internet Explorer C. To disable the proxy server:
- Deselect the Use automatic configuration script button (Step 5 above)
- Reload or restart Internet Explorer
Uncheck all these settings when on campus for direct access.