Sophos Anti-Virus Installation for Macintosh
These instructions guide you through the process of downloading and installing Sophos Anti-Virus for Macintosh on your personally-owned computer (college-owned computers already have Sophos installed). Be aware you must also first uninstall existing anti-virus programs.
A. Uninstall existing anti-virus programs.
If you have a different anti-virus program or if you’re unsure if you have a previously installed anti-virus program, contact Help Desk Services at email@example.com or (207)786-8222.
B. Run the Sophos installer.
- Click this link, and login with Bates username and password,
- After login at the download page, a ”.dmg” file starts downloading immediately.
- After the download is done, find the .dmg file/
- Double-click it to mount it as a drive,
- Double-click the installer it contains.
- Click Continue at the Install Sophos Anti-Virus window.
- Click Continue when prompted at the Read Me window.
- Accept the default installation volume at the Select Destination Prompt and click Continue.
- Click Install when prompted.
- Enter your OS X administrator’s password to authenticate the installation and click OK.
C. Update Sophos
- Click the Sophos shield icon on your menu bar, pull down to and click Update Now.
- The Sophos AutoUpdate Status window will confirm when the update has been completed.
D. Run Sophos
- Click the Sophos shield icon on your menu bar, pull down to and click Open Sophos Anti-Virus.
- Click the green arrow to run an immediate scan to check your computer for viruses.
For a copy of the Sophos user manual please see http://www.sophos.com/en-us/medialibrary/PDFs/documentation/sesc_100_heng.pdf