Import Thunderbird Contacts into Google Contacts
These instructions walk through the process of exporting a Thunderbird Address Book and importing it into Google Contacts. If there are any questions or problems with this process, please contact Help Desk Services.
1. In Thunderbird, open the Address Book.
2. On the left hand side, select the Address Book you want to export from Thunderbird. (Usually called the Personal Address Book).
3. Please check to make sure there are no email addresses or names with quotation marks around them. If so, delete or edit the address.
4. Go to the Tools menu and select Export.
5. Name the file ThunderbirdAddressbook
6. Choose to save it to your Desktop.
7. Change the Format to: Comma Separated
8. Click the Save button.
9. Open a web browser and navigate to http://contacts.google.com
10. Login with your Bates username and password.
11. Click the More button and select Import…
12. Click the Choose File button, navigate to your Desktop and select the ThunderbirdAddressbook.csv file, click Open and then click the Import button.
13. These contacts can now be used with gmail and other Google apps. Please review your contacts to make sure all critical entries have been imported.