Back-to-School Computing Basics
Information and Library Services welcomes the Class of 2017 and all returning students! If you have any questions about connecting to the Bates Network, please don’t hesitate to contact Help Desk Services. They are your single point of contact for your technology and computing questions.
Requirements for Joining the Bates Network:
- Installation of the Bradford Campus Manager client. Once you have installed the client and connect to the Bates Network, your computer will be scanned for a supported and up-to-date operating system and for an installed and up-to-date anti-virus software package. Once you have successfully passed the above requirements, you will have access to a variety of network resources such as the Internet, Network File Storage, and Network Printing.
- Supported Operating Systems:
a. Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 32-bit or 64-bit; including all updates.
b. Mac OS X v10.6 and higher, including all updates.
- Installed and up-to-date anti-virus software. Bates College provides for free Sophos Anti-Virus to all current students.
a. Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows
b. Sophos Anti-Virus for Macs
Additional Resources Available for Students:
- Computing @ Bates FAQ: Commonly asked questions with friendly answers.
- Computer Purchasing: We’ve made purchasing a Windows or Mac computer easy and stress-free through our customized Dell and Apple Stores.
- Microsoft Office: We’ve partnered with e-Academy to provide you with a convenient option for purchasing Microsoft Office for Windows and Mac at academic pricing.
- Computer Sales and Service: “The best place on campus for all your computing supplies!“ Printers, ink, software, network cables, laptop locks, surge protectors, and other supplies are competitively priced and available for purchase at Computer Sales and Service.
- Network Printing: Laser Printers are available next to Help Desk Services in Ladd Library.
- Network File Storage: Each student is provided with 5GB of file storage via their Google Drive account.
- Personal Web Page Hosting: Each student is provided with the option to create and publish your own personal website.
- Bates Email: Our web based e-mail client (Gmail through Google Apps) provides you with access to your e-mail from any Internet connected computer.
- Google Chrome Web Browser: The Chrome web browser is available for both Windows and Mac computers. This web browser provides users with a variety of security features to keep your privacy and web browsing safe, as well as optimized performance for the quick loading web pages and your Bates Gmail, as well as a variety of features available to customize and enhance your browsing experience.
- Gaming and Mobile Devices: We will do our best to help get your video game system (Xbox, PS3, Wii). Please try and self-register your device by going to http://cmapp.bates.edu/registration/GameRegister.jsp and putting in the Hardware Address of your device. We can also register your tablets, smart phones and e-readers. Please contact Help Desk Services for further assistance.