Protecting Your E-mail
A. Disposable e-mail account:
- Set up a personal e-mail account with a free e-mail service like Gmail.
- If you do any internet shopping, use this e-mail address for sending information.
- If there are non-Bates related web forms, use this address as well.
- If this address becomes the target of SPAM, then abandon it for a new one.
B. Fake sender:
- Mail may not come from the stated sender. Email addresses can be spoofed, appearing to be from someone that you know.
- Be especially careful if it has an attachment. Never give your personal information even if it seems to come from a legitimate source.
C. SPAM: don’t answer:
- If no one answered SPAM mail, it would eventually stop. Many SPAM offers are fraudulent and millions of dollars are stolen each year.
- Never click on the unsubscribe button in a SPAM mail. This only show the spammer that it is a live address and you get put on more lists.
D. SPAM marking:
- Bates Gmail automatically labels the e-mail that Gmail believes to be SPAM and moves it to your Spam folder.
- Gmail can be taught to recognize SPAM and automatically move it to your SPAM folder. You can do this by marking messages with the “Report Spam” button.
- If Gmail marks a message as SPAM that is not SPAM, you can use the “Not Spam” button to teach Gmail not to put the message in your SPAM folder.
- Verify who the email is from. Make sure you know who the email and attachment is from.
- Look at the name of the attachment and make sure it looks like a valid file name.
- If the file ends in a .exe, .vb, .vbs, and .zip be VERY careful about opening the attachment.
- If you’re not sure, contact the person and verify with them that they sent you an attachment that you are meant to look at.
About anti-virus back-to-school bradford certificates connecting contact FAQ's file sync firefox forms Gmail groups help install ios iphone ldap lists macintosh paris password pdf podium presentation remote access scanning security setup sophos thunderbird tips user-guide visitors web windows wireless