Mobile Data Security
Data Encryption at Bates College
Your computer’s hard drive and data have been encrypted and are now being protected with Sophos Safeguard (Windows) or Mac File Vault (Mac) to keep your information safe and secure.
Disk encryption is a technology used to protect your data by converting it into unreadable code that cannot be deciphered easily by unauthorized individuals. Disk encryption utilizes special software to encrypt all the data on your computer’s hard drive. Disk encryption prevents unauthorized access to data stored on your computer in the event of a loss or theft.
In addition to the software that is being utilized to keep your data secure, it is also important for individuals to practice good data security and computing safety practices to keep the college’s data safe and secure.
A list of safe computing tips follows:
Going Mobile – Tips for Traveling with your Bates Computer
To protect yourself and the college’s data, first and most importantly, turn off your laptop computer when it is not in use. The following are some additional recommendations when traveling with your Bates computer.
- If your Bates computer isn’t necessary in your travels, don’t bring it.
- Carry your computer as inconspicuously as possible; keeping it out of sight from others when possible.
- Keep your computer in a secure place when it is not in use. Lock it up when ever possible.
- Watch out for shoulder surfers. These are individuals who who might sit unnecessarily close to you in the hopes of spying on your personal information.
- Always be aware of your surroundings and consistently reevaluate.
- Backup your data before traveling or utilize your “Bates Work” folder for saving files.
- Use your Bates computer whenever possible instead of a hotel or kiosk computer.
- Do not use file and print sharing.
- Disable your wireless Internet connection when not in use.
- Don’t check email or other web sites that require a username and password on a public computer.
When Something Goes Wrong
In the event of a computer loss or theft, contact the local authorities and contact Bates College Security and Campus Safety at (207) 786-6254.
In the event of a data security breach or compromise, contact Help Desk Services immediately at (207) 786-8222. You may substantially reduce the impact that a data security breach may have on you and to Bates College by contacting Help Desk Services as soon as you are aware of the breach.
If you are experiencing problems with the data encryption software installed on your computer, need assistance with changing your password, or suspect your password may have compromised, please contact Help Desk Services.