WordPress Basics for ILS
PROCESS: what do I need to do?
- login: link in lower right of every footer
- where’s my content? create or edit content [how-to]
- update: press to save/publish content
- review: always review your work, check all versions of content
(if push-as used, always view ils/technology to check your work)
CONTENT TYPES: which one does what?
- posts: only for how-to’s [how-to]
- pages: static information about us, policies, staff [how-to]
- news: time-sensitive information
- sliders: only on ils home page, be aware they exist
CONTENT ELEMENTS: how do the parts fit together?
- title: short, clear title
huh?: Configuring Thunderbird To Use Your New S/MIME Certificate
good: File Management: Best Practices
- permalink: becomes URL, automatically generated from title
edit for clarity, depending on your title
- body: where the content goes
–please DO NOT cut and paste directly from Word [why]
visual vs html:
–visual is a WYSIWYG, easier to see, sometimes less accurate [how-to]
–html shows you the code, sometimes useful for tweaking specifics [allowed tags]
- excerpts: a brief enticing summary of content (posts only!)
–required by the theme in certain contexts [how-to]
–how you add multimedia to your content
–image, video, audio, media, form, flash
TEMPLATES: where is that content coming from?
- List-Children: used for subnavigation, list of child pages as links [people]
- Child-Content: used for pulling staff in to office pages [network]
- Org-Chart: custom, just to create org chart, pulls office/staff content [org chart]
TAXONOMY: where will my content show up?
- categories: large buckets for content (try to be mutually exclusive)
think: is it plane, train or automobile
- tags: cross referencing, with more specific words
think: is it webmail, thunderbird or mutt
think: is it about, install, tips or user-guide
discussion: category: Secure, tag: security, is this an issue?
purpose: to highlight key information for
location: how-to page, left under search
–short clear title (becomes a link to full post)
–excerpt required: brief enticing summary of content
- news: currently not being used
purpose: for urgent news
location: creates a red banner at top of how-to page
–must be very short message, in body (title only seen on news)
- make this post sticky:
will “stick” the post to the top of category and tag lists (ILS only)
use sparingly, or create “meta” posts that link to other posts
INTERFACE: how do I make that happen?
- admin bar: common tasks in bar at top of window
- screen options: allows you to customize what is displayed
–example: excerpt (posts only) may be hidden by default
- quick edit: hidden feature, hover over post or page listing to see
- filter: limit what the listing shows, by date or categories (posts only)
- search: keyword search within posts or pages
- column headers: click to sort listings, click again for reverse order
- status: click All, Published, Sticky, Draft, Pending to limit results to that status
WORKFLOW: when is it going to be live?
- published: visible to the public [how-to]
- drafts: in process, not visible to the public
- pending review: awaiting an editor to review and approve, not visible to the public
–to approve a post, find it in the post list, quick edit, change status to published, update
- schedule a post: to make it available in the future [how-to]
VISIBILITY: who’s allowed to see it?
- password: anyone with the password may see the page
- private: only visible to editors and admins, not searched, or in feeds
FUTURE TOPICS: what’s next?
- shortcodes: simple ways to embed existing content [how-to]
About anti-virus back-to-school bradford certificates connecting contact FAQ's file sync firefox forms Gmail groups help install ios iphone ldap lists macintosh paris password pdf podium presentation remote access scanning security setup sophos thunderbird tips user-guide visitors web windows wireless