Intellectual Life at Bates
The Intellectual Life team will explore the following questions:
- How do we foster an intellectual culture that shapes and reflects the distinctive, changing needs of faculty, students, and staff and responds to the myriad ways in which their intellectual lives are interwoven?
- How do we create an intellectual community that takes full advantage of place—the distinctive place in which the college resides, the human scale of a residential college, the heterogeneous places that inform our scholarly pursuits, and the wider world to which we are responsible?
- How do we build a more diverse community and deepen engagement with the array of experiences and perspectives that shape the intellectual vitality of Bates?
Intellectual Life at Bates Members
- Chair: Georgia Nigro, Professor of Psychology
- Staff: Matt Duvall, Manager, Imaging Center & Institutional Research Associate
- Senem Aslan, Assistant Professor of Politics
- Matt Auer (Ex Officio), Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the Faculty
- Jon Cavallero, Assistant Professor of Rhetoric
- Jane Costlow, Clark A. Griffith Professor of Environmental Studies
- Matt Côté, Associate Professor of Chemistry; Chair, Division of the Natural Sciences
- David Cummisky, Professor of Philosophy
- Alex Dauge-Roth, Associate Professor of French and Francophone Studies
- Nancy Koven, Associate Professor of Psychology
- Ellen Alcorn, Director of Bonner Leader Program, Assistant Director of Community Engaged Learning
- Christina Bell, Humanities Librarian, Information & Library Services
- Mary Meserve, Registrar
- Dan Mills, Director of the Museum of Art and Lecturer in the Humanities
- Jeremy Glover ’17
- Cira Mollings Puentes ’16
- Erica (Jaqui) Veazey ’16