New Endowed Funds
The Alviani-Sampson Fund
Created by the bequest of Dr. Doric J. Alviani, professor of music at the Univ. of Massachusetts, honoring the memory of Charles H. Sampson, headmaster of Huntington Prep School before coming to Bates College as a teacher and administrator, for the general purposes of the College.
Matthew David Arciaga ’93 Scholarship Fund
Given by Brandon Sutcliffe ’93 and friends, family members, and business associates of Matthew D. Arciaga in his memory. Scholarship assistance for needy and deserving Bates students with preference first for members of the men’s lacrosse team and second for students who major in political science.
Charles and Melinda Bracken Scholarship Fund
Given by Charles H. Bracken Jr. ’76 and Melinda Chace Bracken ’76. Income from this fund will provide access to worthy students who, without financial aid, would not be able to attend Bates and whose presence on campus will bring added diversity to the Bates College student body.
The Class of 1997 Scholarship
Established in May 1997 by the Class of 1997 as its senior Class Gift to the College, this is a permanent endowment fund with only the allotted income to be used for the purposes specified. The Class of 1997 Scholarship recognizes the staff at Bates College for its many contributions to the education and life of students here. This class scholarship will support educational opportunities for the dependents of Bates staff, with a preference to the dependents of hourly employees in Dining Services, Facility Services and Custodial Services, and secretarial support for all administrative and academic programs at Bates. An educational opportunity is broadly defined
as a special high school project, or an educational site visit, or tuition support for secondary and
post-secondary education at the institution of the designee’s choice, but could be anything deemed “educational” by the Committee awarding the scholarship.
The Kavork and Mushginaz Derderian Scholarship
Given by Setrak K. Derderian ’43 in memory of his parents, and added to by family and friends. Income is to be granted as scholarship aid to a United States citizen of Armenian descent.
Hugh and Elizabeth B. Montgomery
Given by Hugh and Elizabeth B. Montgomery of Phillips, for deserving Maine students with preference for those from Franklin County, Maine.
Dr. Howard I. Scher ’72 Fellowship Program
Given by Dr. Howard I. ’72, a member of the Board of Trustees at Bates College, and his wife Deborah. Income only is to be used to provide a fellowship to a selected student who is strongly interested in a career in medical science, who has a demonstrated academic record of achievement in the natural sciences at Bates, and who wishes to participate in an off-campus educational opportunity at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital in New York.
The Tetley-Morton Family Scholarship Fund
Given Hugh H. Morton in honor of his wife, Erma Tetley Morton ’29, the Rev. Edmund B. Tetley 1899, Wendell W. Tetley ’29, Carl E. and Mary Morton Cowan ’61/’61, and Timothy M. and Marianne Nolan Cowan ’91/’92 for financial aid with preference for students from the state of Maine.
Ralph H. Tukey and Adah Tasker Tukey
Given by Dr. John W. Tukey, Donner Professor of Science Emeritus at Princeton University, in honor of his parents, Dr. Ralph H. Tukey and Adah Tasker Tukey, graduates of Bates College in the Class of 1898, providing a scholarship during the senior year of undergraduate study, the recipient to be selected from the upper 2 percent of his or her class in academic standing, based upon the scholastic records of the class at the end of the first five semesters of undergraduate study, with first preference for demonstrated scholastic excellence in mathematics or the classics or some other field of academic study in the natural sciences.
Doric Joseph Alviani $30,000
Given by Dr. Doric J. Alviani, professor of music at the Univ. of Massachusetts in memory of Charles H. Sampson, headmaster of Huntington Prep School before coming to Bates College as an instructor and administrator.
Marion Crosby Hoppin ’32 $25,000
Given by Marion Crosby Hoppin ’32, a psychologist, for the general purposes of the College and designated by the Trustees to be used toward construction of the new Academic Building which when completed will house the social sciences, including psychology.
Adrienne P. Huff $300,000
Given to Bates College for its endowment in memory of her husband, Nevel W. Huff, Class of 1931. The Trustees have created the Nevel W. Huff Class of 1931 Fund with the bequest.
Victor H. Kjellman $2,000
Given by Victor H. Kjellman in memory of his wife, Constance Fuller Kjellman ’34 and added to the Annual Alumni Fund.
Edith Krugelis MacRae ’40 $10,000
Added to the Krugelis Scholarship Fund created by Edith Krugelis MacRae during her lifetime in memory of her parents, Peter and Ezabel Krugelis, and in memory of her sister, Eleanor Krugelis Heron ’45.
David A. Nichols ’42 $8,000
Retired Maine Supreme Court Justice David A. Nichols ’42 honored Norman J. Temple ’44, his friend since College days with his bequest, and the Trustees therefore added his bequest to the Norman J. Temple Scholarship Fund.
Katherine F. Sherman P’64 $5,000
Given by Katherine F. Sherman, mother of Robert F. Sherman ’64 to be added to the Sherman Family Scholarship Fund, created by Robert F. Sherman ’64 and Carolyn Kinney Sherman ’64 with first preference for a student recipient who has suffered, through death, the loss of a parent whose income represented the primary support of the family; second for a student whose family income has been affected by parental illness.
Ruth B. Strout $65,000
Bequethed in memory of her husband, Donald E. Strout ’30, to create an endowed fund with income for the general purposes of the College.
Beverly Hauer Gruninger and Rockwell D. Bailey, May 30, 1997.
Deborah Perkins ’64 and Meredith Handspicker, July 12, 1997
Betsy Brackett Allin and Maynard Wilson, Nov. 27, 1996.
Eva Frank and Bradford Greene, April 27, 1991.
Deborah Perkins and Meredith Handspicker ’54, July 12, 1997.
Louise A. Reinhart and Edward L. Cross, May 2, 1997.
Tasha Kostantacos and Norman B. Olsen, Feb. 28, 1997.
Beth Holmes Bradley and Richard Bray, June 7, 1997.
Jane Farr and Jeff Burns, Oct. 27, 1996.
Denise A. Brady and Bert P. Cole, Jan 24, 1994.
Maxine D. Dixon and Timothy D. Jones, July 19, 1997.
Linda S. Bernstein and John C. Farwell, May 10, 1997.
Emily C. Mason and R. Lauren McMackin, June 21, 1997.
Sarah R. McKnight ’96 and Scott E. Steinberg,
Aug. 30, 1997.
Alys A. Reynders and Peter H. Creighton,
Sept. 6, 1997.
Elizabeth J. Peace and Joseph Tiro, May 28, 1994.
Anne E. Reis and Gerald Cyr, Aug. 9, 1996.
Rochelle K. Rosen and John Landry, March 5, 1995.
Dawn Garibaldi and H. David Todd, June 24, 1995.
Erin G. Brady (correction) and Jeffrey A. Day,
July 29, 1995.
Leslie A. Vielbig and Christopher R. DelCol,
June 14, 1997.
Joan A. Edwards and Robert V. Greene, Sept. 13, 1997.
Sloane Taylor and Erik Given, May 17, 1997.
Jennifer A. Bassett and David J. Sheehan, June 21, 1997.
Susan M. York and Langley R. Gace, July 12, 1997.
Julie K. Adams and John P. Fingado, June 7, 1997.
Kathryn King and John E. Byrn, May 1997.
Karen LaConte and Andrew Roberts ’92, June 1997.
Jennifer A. Loveman and Gregory D. Manthei,
Oct 12, 1997.
Samantha L. Riley and Jacob J. Sherman, Nov. 2, 1996.
Stephanie Stergiou and Jim Ferro, Sept. 1996.
Pamela Batchelder and Robert H. Johnson Jr.,
Aug. 23, 1997.
Victoria Gifford and Alan W. Templeton, Oct. 1996.
Elizabeth Rynecki and Steve Knowlton, June 1997.
Jennifer L. Shepard and Robert M. Pounders,
April 26, 1997.
Catherine A. Shuttleworth and J. Scott Baruch,
June 28, 1997.
Marjorie C. Northrop ’95 and Peter J. Friedman, June 24, 1997.
Nan Jacoby and Douglas E. Champe, Sept. 28, 1996.
Fawn H. Johnson and Guy H. Stevens, June 1, 1997.
Leslie Wright and Wilken E. Mahland, Oct. 8, 1994.
Emma Holder and David Merrill, Aug. 11, 1995.
Tracy O’Mara ’94 and Bradley Peacock, May 31, 1997.
Karen LaConte ’90 and Andrew Roberts, June 1997.
Emily Romero and Francois Meucci, June 21, 1997.
Kristen Bessette ’93 and Bill Salie, Sept. 17, 1997.
Caroline Huber and Richard Sautter, Aug. 18, 1996.
Jesseca Timmons and Bob Abar, Aug. 9, 1997.
Kristen Bessette and Bill Salie ’92, Sept 17, 1997.
Heidi L. Johnson and Neil C. Bray, July 12, 1997.
Jessica Larsen and Reid Lutter, Aug. 9, 1997.
Gwen Williams ’94 and Philip Ryan, fall 1996.
Beth Mara Singer and Benet Pols, May 31, 1997.
Elizaeth Smith and Greg Hocking, Aug. 16, 1997.
Rachel J. Snow and Stephen Kindseth, Sept. 7, 1996.
Sara E. Stowell and Jose E. Aleman, July 26, 1997.
Heidi Bishop and Steven Miller, Aug. 9, 1997.
Jill Cotroneo and Peter C. Weise, July 2, 1997.
Katherine Frank and David Beers, July 12, 1997.
Tracy O’Mara and Bradley Peacock ’92, May 31, 1997.
Aimee Phaneuf and Chad Wright, June 1997.
Karen Tagliaferro and Derek Reed, July 27, 1996.
Christina Wellington and Michael Traister, Sept. 13, 1997.
Gwen Williams and Philip Ryan ’93, fall 1996.
Molly A.N. Walsh ’96 and Brook R. Mullens,
June 28, 1997.
Marjorie C. Northrop and Peter J. Friedman ’92, June 14, 1997.
Sarah R. McKnight and Scott E. Steinberg ’86,
Aug. 30, 1997.
Molly A.N. Walsh and Brook R. Mullens ’95,
June 28, 1997.
Janice D. Dion and James D. Moss, June 21, 1997.
1961Bradford and Eva Greene, Nathaniel Bradford,
June 28, 1996.
William Hiss and Colleen Quint ’85, adoption, Jessamyn Lieu Hiss Quint, born Jan. 27, 1997.
Philip and Elizabeth Towle, Austin Philip, Feb. 11, 1997.
Mark Harris and Andrea Greenwood, Dana, Oct 7, 1996; Levi, Aug. 1, 1994.
Todd and Robin Macalister, Adam, Jan. 5, 1994; Ben, Dec. 7, 1991.
Lee and Evelyn Jaskoski, Daniel James, Feb. 29, 1996.
J. Manning and Sandra Martin Herr ’79, Bethany Virginia, July 24, 1997.
J. Manning ’78 and Sandra Martin Herr, Bethany Virginia, July 24, 1997.
Phil and Carol Gould, Emma Elizabeth, Dec. 8, 1996.
Michael Grusak and JoAnne Fleischhauer ’80, Dakota Willem, Nov. 12, 1995.
Steve and Patricia Sanders, Jeremy, June 29, 1997.
Mark and Leslie Wilcox Briggs, Austin Wilcox, July 23, 1997.
Robert and Janine Willsey, William Taylor, Oct. 10, 1996.
Chris and Donna Anderson Andreson, Colby Anderson, Oct. 27, 1996.
Michael Grusak ’79 and JoAnne Fleischhauer, Dakota Willem, Nov. 12, 1995.
Chris and Colleen Gammons, Robin Annie Elliott, Aug. 2, 1996.
John and Andrea Gillespie, Chloe Soleil, Aug. 16, 1996.
George and Sue Pierce Gorman, John Pierce, Oct 26, 1996.
Michael J. Howitz and Anna C. Schroder, Peter Christopher Howitz, Feb. 21, 1997; Andrew Christian Howitz, March 18, 1994.
David and Chris Tegeler Beneman, Katherine Susan, Jan. 4, 1996.
Robert and Kim Benintende, William Michael, June 5, 1996; Mary-Elizabeth, May 18, 1994.
James and Wendy Blake Nitsos, Jason Blake, Oct 10, 1996.
Jeff and Jane Farr Burns, Ryan Matthew, Feb. 22, 1997.
Craig Bentdahl and Stephanie Simon, Kelly Simon Bentdahl, Feb. 12, 1997.
C. Andrew and Sarah Eusden Gallop, Julia, July 15, 1997.
David and Cheryl Holzman, Katherine Coakley, Jan. 28, 1997.
Paul and Beth Ashworth Wenzel, Tyler Alexander, Feb. 19, 1995.
Bert and Denise Brady-Cole, Rachel Brady Cole, April 9, 1996.
Bob and Beatrice Koetter Birrer, Kyle Brandt, May 17, 1997.
John ’85 and Christina Martin Kroger ’84, Gabriella, July 27, 1997; Matthias, May 30, 1995.
Jeffrey and Lisa Pouliot Schmidt, Tyler Austin, May 28, 1997; Lauren Rebecca, Aug. 17, 1994.
E. John and Lynn Sleeper Orav, Gwendolyn Christine, Oct. 11, 1997
Jonathan and Liz Smith-Freedman Cameron, Jon Smith-Freedman, June 24, 1996.
Alan and Clarissa Hunter Basch, Talia Ann, July 21, 1997.
John and Christina Martin Kroger ’84,Gabriella, July 22, 1997; Matthias, May 30, 1995.
William Hiss ’66 and Colleen Quint, adoption, Jessamyn Lieu Hiss Quint, born Jan. 27, 1997.
Geoffrey Wright and Stefanie Fairchild ’87, Ania Fairchild Wright, April 3, 1997.
Louis and Jean Gudaitis Tarricone (correction), Zachary Robinson, Nov. 1, 1996.
Tim Longacre and Laura Giles ’87, Caroline Giles Longacre, Aug. 11, 1997.
Wesley and Norma Toner, Meaghan, April 1997.
Geoffrey Wright ’85 and Stefanie Fairchild, Ania Fairchild Wright, April 3, 1997.
Paul and Patricia Close Gardner ’91, Emily Elizabeth, Nov. 1996.
Mark and Lisa Gianas Nitschke, Daniel, Sept. 17, 1996.
Tim Longacre ’86 and Laura Giles, Caroline Giles Longacre, Aug. 11, 1997.
Jeffrey Soifir and C. Ellen Peters, Lenna Elsbeth Peters Soifer, Sept. 8, 1996.
Arthur ’88 and Lisa Riley Bull, Kathryn, Sept. 7, 1997.
Eric and Susan Schlapak, Emily Mae, March 10, 1997.
Daniel and Stephanie True Peters, Jackson Noah, Dec. 23, 1996.
Arthur and Lisa Riley-Bull ’87, Kathryn, Sept. 7, 1997.
Erik and Sloane Given, Carlson Carey and Tate Shaw, Oct. 10, 1997.
The late Patrick and Barbara Leahey Sullivan, Margaret Ann Marie, Oct. 21, 1997.
Jeff and Christina Nelson Cook ’91, Liam Nelson, March 29, 1997.
Greg `90 and Jane Goodell Bartholomew, Christopher Paul, Aug. 1997.
David and Angela Himmer Cox, Delaney, Oct. 13, 1997.
Jason and Wendy Lister Root, Megan Alexandra, May 6, 1997.
Thomas and Shari Stimer Mulvey, Abigail Dawn, Aug. 11, 1997.
Jeff and Jessica Adler Clay, Noah, Sept. 3, 1997.
Greg and Jane Goodell Bartholomew ’89, Christopher Paul, Aug. 1997.
Gerod and Suzanne Burnham Gianattasio, Elise Burnham, April 8, 1997.
Ismael Carreras and Andrea Snow, Caroline Snow Carreras, June 20, 1997.
Bob and Andrea Floyd Deininger, Julia, Nov. 1996.
Matthew and Jennifer Parmelee Huddleston ’91, Clarity, Oct. 1996.
Nick and Jacqueline Pizer Vlietstra, Maggie, Sept. 30, 1997.
Jurgen and Kathleen Rollberg Boldt, Caroline Kelly, Dec. 28, 1996.
Rob and Valerie St. Jean, Andrew Gabriel and Bryant Robert, Sept. 18, 1997.
Paul ’87 and Patricia Close Gardner, Emily Elizabeth, Nov. 1996.
Dan and Kim Peard Coccoluto, Lauren, Dec. 1996.
Charles Dinklage and Kendra Sowers, Hannah Katherine, June 1997.
Michael and Terri Lynn Hockman Byerly, Meredith Rose, April 1997.
Ronald and Celeste Morin Moody, Adam Edward, March 12, 1997.
Jeff ’89 and Christina Nelson Cook, Liam Nelson, March 29, 1997.
Michael and Julie O’Brien, Molly Ann, June 1996.
Matthew ’90 and Jennifer Parmelee Huddleston, Clarity, Oct. 1996.
Tim and Kristin Presley Radford, Emily Alexandra, June 2, 1997.
Doug and Sharon Williams Schultz, Mallory Elizabeh, April 20, 1997.
Michael and Susan Ziegenhagen King, Connor Edmonds, May 24, 1997.
Wilken and Leslie Mahland, Kerstan Astrid, Dec. 10, 1996.
Richard and Carolyn Sautter, William Winfield Haines, June 4, 1997.
Natthew S. Orr and Amanda F. Barney ’96, Oliver David Orr, April 24, 1997.
Matthew S. Orr ’94 and Amanda F. Barney, Oliver David Orr, April 24, 1997.
1919Raymond W. Blaisdell, Oct. 2, 1997.
An educator for 45 years, Raymond Blaisdell earned his Ed.M. from Harvard in 1930. During World War I he had been a second lieutenant with the field artillery at Camp Taylor, Ky. A junior high school principal in Reading and Newton, Mass., he received the PTA award in 1955 for his community service to the town of Newton. A year later he joined the faculty of Harvard Graduate School of Education as director of the internship program for secondary school teachers. He retired in 1964. Mr. Blaisdell was a member of Phi Delta Kappa. In Bates affairs, he had served as a class agent and as vice president of the Florida Bates Club. He was an active member of Christ Presbyterian Church in Largo, where he lived. Among his survivors are his son-in-law, Robert Purinton ’51, four grandsons, three granddaughters, three nieces including Martha Blaisdell Mabee ’42 and Constance Blaisdell Nickerson ’45. He was predeceased by his daughter, Anne Blaisdell Purinton ’52, and brother Leo ’12.
Meredith F. Burrill, Oct 5, 1997.
Meredith “Pete” Burrill was among the world’s foremost experts on place names; indeed, his efforts helped provide accurate information about places around the world, and his personal research was internationally recognized for innovative studies on the relationships between names and their historical and political origins. Beginning in 1926, he taught in colleges and universities including Farmington Normal School, Lehigh and Bucknell universities, Oklahoma A&M, and Southern Methodist University. He earned M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in geography at Clark University, and then for 40 years, from 1933 to 1973, he was executive secretary of the Interior Department’s U.S. Board on Geographic Names. He and his staff converted some two million names from Chinese, Japanese, and other languages to the Roman alphabet for application to military maps, and later in the United States, he worked to name new places and eliminate duplications. He chaired several sessions of the United Nation’s Group of Experts on Geographic Names, and in 1967 was president of the first U.N. Conference in Geneva on the Standardization of Geographical Names. New Zealand honored him by naming a peak in Antarctica Mount Burrill. He served as president of the Assn. of American Geographers, receiving their award for his meritorious contributions to geography. He was a member of many international societies, the American Assn. for the Advancement of Science, the International Geographic Union, and he was author of several articles and book reviews. In Bates affairs, he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa and College Club, and at one time was president of the Washington, D.C., Bates Club, served as class agent, Annual Fund chairman, and was elected an alumni Trustee, serving from 1966 to 1971. At the time of his death he was class president, and he seldom missed a Reunion. He was awarded an honorary Sc.D. from Bates in 1960. Pete Burrill’s hobbies included photographic travelogues, gardening, singing with the Chevy Chase Men’s Glee Club and enjoying the family place on Pemaquid. In 1927 he married “Nellie” Bannister ’24, and she died in 1978. He leaves his wife, Betty Didcot Burrill, daughter Elizabeth Burrill Allard ’59, son Robert, four grandsons, five great-grandchildren and nephew Charles ’60. He was predeceased by his brother and sister-in-law, Richard and Alberta (Hutchinson) Burrill ’24. His parents were Fred 1897 and Carrie Odiorne Burrill 1899.
Hazel Looke Buxton, July 25, 1997.
Following graduation, Hazel Looke Buxton taught English and Latin at Houlton and Hodgdon high schools and at Corinna Union Academy. A resident of Pittsfield, she had worked in the First National Bank, the Pittsfield Public Library, then continued as librarian at the Powell Memorial Library at Maine Central Institute, retiring in 1972 after 12 years there. She was a volunteer at the Sebasticook Medical Center, the Pennywise Shop, a charter member of the United Church of Christ, where she was treasurer of the Sunday School. A past noble grand of Rebekah Lodge, she also had been president of the Pittsfield Tuesday Club and treasurer of Senior Citizens. Mrs. Buxton continued to live alone in her original Berwick home, do her own work, and she enjoyed playing bridge, painting, solving crossword puzzles and reading. She leaves son Raymond, daughter Patricia, six grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. Her husband, Horace, died in 1958.
Ercell M. Gordon, July 15, 1997.
A teacher and administrator in public and private schools for 45 years, Ercell Gordon was submaster at Howland and at Ashland, N.H., then in 1929 moved to Berwick Academy, where he was principal for 19 years. He was principal at Windham High School for seven years, then taught physics at Deering High School and sponsored the school’s Science Club during his 17 years there. He lectured in advanced physics at UMaine/Portland-Gorham, and throughout his career had done graduate work at Bates, Bowdoin, the universities of Maine and New Hampshire. Retiring to Windham in 1974, Mr. Gordon belonged to Windham Hill Congregational Church, where he was a deacon and served on the Presumpscot Parish Council. Recently he had been involved with the Friends meeting there. An active Mason, he was a former member of Kiwanis and past president of South Berwick Rotary Club. A trustee emeritus of Berwick Academy, he received the school’s Founders and Alumni Award. Survivors include daughter Eleanor, sons Clifford ’52, Norman, and Tom, seven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. His wife, Doris, died in 1982.
Madeline Potter Soifer, April 13, 1997.
After she graduated from Bates, Madeline Potter Soifer taught school in Hollis and at Potter Academy in Sebago. For the next several years, she held a variety of positions: bookkeeper at the Ford dealership in Farmington; accountant in Portland; work at Pan American Airways, LaGuardia Field. She retired in 1970 from Roberts Office Supply in Portland. A dedicated conservationist and environmentalist, Mrs. Soifer was active in Safe Power for Maine and maintained a lifetime interest in politics and social issues. She loved her garden, the woods, seashore, her dog, and enjoyed cooking and sewing. She leaves a daughter, Libby, with whom she lived in Bangor, and two sisters. Her husband, Abraham, died in 1986.
Ruth Curtis Reinhardt, April 21, 1997.
An educator and homemaker, Ruth Curtis Reinhardt taught English in Orono after graduation, then in Port Jervis, N.Y., where she also taught drama and public speaking. She had taken courses at Bates Summer School and at the universities of New Hampshire, Iowa, and New York. A member of AAUW, Literary Club, and teachers associations, she was past viceregent of the DAR and charitable director of the Port Jervis Home for Aged Women. In recent years, Mrs. Reinhardt had received a citation from the Foreign Affairs Council and had written a history of the Minisink Valley. Her husband, Goym, survives.
Bernard A. Landman, June 26, 1997.
A native of Pittsfield, Bernard Landman had lived in Wolfeboro, N.H., where he worked in the post office and was postmaster there for 32 years, retiring in 1965. A member of F&AM, he was the oldest living past master of Morning Star Masonic Lodge in Wolfeboro, past patron of Eastern Star, and past high priest of Carroll Chapter of Royal Arch. He belonged to the First Congregational Church and earlier he had served as president of the Men’s Club. Bernard Landman was an enthusiastic hockey fan. In recent years, he lived at Havenwood in Concord, where the residents, many of them Bates friends, helped him celebrate his 90th birthday in April. He leaves Rena, his wife of 63 years, nieces and nephews. His father was Fred U. Landman 1898, and a classmate, the late John Scammon ’27, was his cousin.
Louise Hersey Loring, June 25, 1997.
A cum laude graduate with honors in Latin and math, Louise Hersey Loring was a homemaker, living in Colorado, Washington and Oregon, where her husband and classmate, J. Malcolm Loring ’28, worked for the U.S. Forest Service. Her interest in genealogy was more than a hobby as she completed major studies on five families, tracing her own roots to the Mayflower. She and her husband collected geological information and coauthored Pictographs and Petroglyphs of the Oregon Country (1982), now in its third printing at UCLA. Mrs. Loring was a member of the Mayflower Society, the Connecticut Society of Genealogists, Oregon Archeological Society, Oregon Geologic Forum, the American Rock Art Research Assn., Oregon Historical Society, and she was a 29-year member of the U.S. Forest Service Club. A faithful attendant at the North Bend Presbyterian Church, she was described as “a remarkable lady…she cared deeply for everyone she knew.” Among her survivors are son John, daughters Priscilla and Janet, 10 grandchildren, 19 great-grandchildren, two great-great-grandchildren. Her husband died in 1991.
Kenneth H. Nugent, Aug. 21, 1997.
Kenneth Nugent was an executive administrator with the Associated Press for 28 years. During that time he had been corporate records clerk and administrative assistant to the corporate secretary. He retired in 1970. A resident of Staten Island, N.Y., for 65 years, he was a member of the vestry of St. Paul’s Memorial Episcopal Church in Stapleton and was organist there in the ’50s and for several years a church school teacher. A son, Frederick, survives as do daughter Clarissa and two grandchildren. His wife, Edna, died in 1993.
Clara Parnell Cole, June 22, 1997.
A member of the Bates Key, Clara Parnell Cole also was elected to Delta Sigma Rho, serving as secretary-treasurer from 1929 to 1931. She was among the early women debaters at Bates. For many years she was class secretary; she also held offices in the Portland Bates Alumnae Club for over a decade. She taught English and public speaking at Maine Central Institute, Norway High School, and at Lincoln Junior High School. Mrs. Cole also had coached debating at Kents Hill School. She belonged to the Women’s Woodfords Club, the Women’s Literary Union, and the Cumberland County Retired Teachers Assn. An avid bridge player, she also enjoyed her summers at Sebago Lake and travels to visit family in Louisiana. Survivors include son James, daughter Mary Ann, six grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. Her husband, James, died in 1978.
W. Everett Wood, June 28, 1997.
An educator and English teacher throughout his life, Everett Wood earned his M.A. from Bates in 1936. After teaching English at Mount Hermon School for two years, and several years at Bristol (Conn.) High School, he was an instructor at the State Teachers College in Albany. He joined the English faculty at Mount Ida College In the early ’40s, teaching there for over 30 years. He also was an instructor at the Boston Univ. College of Business Administration in the summer. He retired in 1971. Everett Wood belonged to the Eliot Congregational Church in Newton, Mass., was a master Mason and a 70-year member of Mechanics Lodge in Montague, Mass., his birthplace. He leaves daughters Patricia and Cornelia, son William Jr., seven grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. His classmate and wife of 63 years, Pamelia (Leighton ’28) died in 1996.
Doris Libby Brann, June 1, 1997.
Doris Libby Brann attended Bates from 1925 to 1926. A homemaker, she had been married to Clifton F. Brann for 66 years and had assisted him in his several businesses. He died in 1994. A member of the Winter Street Baptist Church of Gardiner, she belonged to the Grace Missionary Guild and the Galbraith Group. Earlier she had been a member of the Radio Bible Class of Grand Rapids, Mich. Mrs. Brown’s special interests were watching and protecting wildlife. She is survived by several cousins. Relatives who were Bates graduates include A.B. Libby 1893, Ray A. Shepard ’13, William Davidson ’19, and Paul O. Libby ’24.
Samuel B. Gould, June 11, 1997.
A distinguished educational administrator who once tackled successfully “the most complex and difficult job in the whole field of higher education,” Samuel B. Gould was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, Delta Sigma Rho and College Club. He earned honors in English, was a varsity debater, active in theater and was class speaker. Following graduation he taught English in West Hartford, Conn., and Brookline, Mass. He studied dramatic literature at Oxford and also studied at Cambridge and Harvard universities. He earned his M.A. from New York Univ. in 1936. During World War II, he was a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy Pacific Theater, earning several awards for his service. On his return to Brookline High School, he headed the speech arts department until 1947, when he became professor and director of radio and speech at Boston Univ.’s School of Public Relations, and later was assistant to the president in charge of public relations. From 1954 to 1959, Samuel Gould was president of Antioch College, then chancellor of the Univ. of Calif./Santa Barbara until 1962. He then became president of Educational TV for the Metropolitan New York area, after which then-Gov. Rockefeller entrusted him with the task of consolidating the state’s 58 state and professional colleges into the State University of New York (SUNY): “the most complex and difficult job in the whole field of higher education,” declared a New Yorker profile. Resigning in 1970 and named chancellor emeritus, Samuel Gould served for two years on the Carnegie Commission on Non-Traditional Study; he was a member of the College Entrance Examination Board and Educational Testing Service. When he retired to Florida in 1974, he served 10 years on the board of the Univ. of Florida New College, helping draw up a master plan for higher education in the state. Samuel Gould was a member, trustee. or director of many boards on education, the arts and civic affairs; the recipient of several honorary degrees including an LL.D. from Bates in 1957. A frequent visitor to Bates over the years, “Sam” Gould had been a member of the Alumni Assn. Executive Committee, a class agent, and was elected an alumni Trustee from 1963 to 1968. He was the author of numerous articles and the subject of a cover story in Time (1968) on “Rise of the Public Universities: Quantity as Well as Quality.” The present chancellor of SUNY, John W. Ryan, called Gould “one of our greatest visionaries. He was a man of enormous brilliance, stature, and integrity who set high standards to which we should all aspire. Unquestionably, he was a huge figure in the history of the state university.” Samuel Gould is survived by his son, Dr. Richard A. Gould. Alan Gould ’73 is a nephew. His wife of 52 years, Laura Ohman Gould, died in 1989.
Lloyd A. Heldman, May 27, 1997.
After working for the Cumberland Power & Light Co. following graduation, Lloyd Heldman managed theaters in Newport, Vt., and Franklin, N.H. In 1962 he joined A.C. Allyn & Co. investment brokers in Portland, retiring from Advest Corp. in 1996. During World War II he worked at the South Portland Shipyards. A member of Portland Country Club and the Cumberland Club, Lloyd Heldman was a communicant of Holy Martyrs Catholic Church in Falmouth. In Bates affairs, he was a member of College Club, served as 1931′s class secretary from 1985 to 1991, and had earlier been a member of the Annual Fund Committee and served as president of the Portland Men’s Bates Club. Survivors include his wife, Blanche, daughters Patricia H. Monahan ’54, Carol H. Flynn ’59, many grandchildren including Jean Monahan ’81, John Monahan ’84, 15 great-grandchildren, and two sisters. His brother was the late Carl Heldman ’35.
Norman N. Thurlow, Aug. 13, 1997.
An honors graduate of Maine Central Institute, Norman Thurlow majored in chemistry at Bates, minored in economics and sociology. He worked at the Auburn YMCA after graduation, studied accounting at Bliss Business College, and began work for the State of Maine in Rumford with the National Reemployment Service. He also had been an auditor and an interviewer for the state’s employment service and an inspector for the Department of Agriculture. For a decade, Mr. Thurlow worked as clerk and auditor at the Harbor Defense of Portland, then was comptroller at Portsmouth (N.H.) Naval Shipyard, retiring in 1972. A member of Kittery Historical Society, AF&AM of Pittsfield, National Assn. of Retired Federal Employees, AARP, Norman Thurlow had been treasurer and trustee of the Eliot Advent Christian Church. In recent years he lived at Advent Christian Village of Dowling Park, Fla., where he was a member and volunteer. He maintained interests in child and animal welfare. His wife, Hilda, survives as do a niece, cousin, great-nieces and -nephews. The late Harry H. Thurlow 1902 was his father.
E. Eldredge Brewster, Aug. 16, 1997.
A magna cum laude graduate with honors in economics, E. Eldredge Brewster earned an M.A. from the Univ. of Pennsylvania, a B.D. from Drew Theological Seminary, and a Ph.D. in 1952 from Boston Univ. He later studied at Oxford while on sabbatical in the ’70s. During World War II he was a chaplain in the Army Air Force. For a decade he held pastorates in Maine towns of Rumford, Cape Porpoise, and at the Calvary Methodist Church in Lewiston. He also served Methodist churches in Joliet and Chicago, Ill. During those years he taught sociology at Kansas Wesleyan Univ., Le Moyne College in Memphis, Tenn., and Aurora College. After he retired in 1976, Mr. Brewster was a parish visitor in Pennsylvania churches, and the first visiting minister of Little Harbor Chapel, Portsmouth, N.H. He hosted tours to Scandinavia, to the Passion Play and to Jerusalem, authored several publications, and was a volunteer for Common Cause, the Chicago Interfaith Peace Committee, Christian Churches United, and a member of United Methodist Church and the Mayflower Society. Among his survivors are his wife, Dorothy, son Edward, daughter Christine, two grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. His father was Edward H. Brewster 1919.
Ernest K. Holt, May 16, 1997.
Following graduation, Ernest Holt was a chemist at Lever Bros. in Cambridge, Mass. He married Jean Scott in 1934. She died in 1984. In 1951 he was the company’s process engineering manager. A member of the American Oil Chemists Society, the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, he was listed in Who’s Who in Engineering and the Chemical Who’s Who. He chaired the board of trustees of the West Dennis (Mass.) Community Church, and was a regular attendee at Bates Reunions. He leaves sons Leigh, Stephen, and John, and his wife and classmate, the former Hazel Wakefield Lowell ’31, whom he married in 1987.
Dorothy Morse Foster, May 2, 1997.
After she earned her master’s degree from Columbia Univ. in 1933, Dorothy Morse Foster studied at the Sorbonne in Paris, where she received a diploma from the Univ. of Paris. She also had studied at the universities of Pennsylvania, Maine, and Iowa, where she was a graduate assistant in the Department of Romance Languages. A member of Phi Sigma Iota, she first taught in Canton High School, then at Westbrook College. In 1936 she married Harry K. Foster ’34 and devoted her time and energy to her family, community, and church. In the ’60s the Fosters spent two years in Cameroon, Africa, where he was educational advisor to USAID. In recent years they lived at Schooner Estates in Auburn. She leaves her husband of 60 years, daughter Rilla, and two grandchildren.
Eleanor A.R. Truell, April 14, 1997.
Eleanor Truell received her M.A. from Boston Univ. and later earned advanced credits in guidance, psychology, and curriculum at New York Univ. She taught in the Maine schools of Woodstock and South Paris, in Worcester, Mass., at Colby Junior College, and for 18 years was guidance counselor in Farmingdale (N.Y) public schools. She also had worked in a Boston business and was a member of Tremont Temple there. Miss Truell moved to Keene, N.H., in 1997, attended the Sturtevant Chapel and was a member of the state and county teachers associations. Survivors include a brother, sister, niece and five nephews.
Ruth Cunningham Norton, Sept. 21, 1997.
Mrs. Norton was an apprentice in the Bates library for a short time after she graduated. She had attended Wellesley College for a year before she entered Bates and she also studied at the School of Domestic Science in Boston. In the late ’30s she was a member of the Western Maine Wellesley Club, the CMG Hospital Women’s Association, the LA College Club, and the Stuart Club of Boston. Mrs. Norton and her late husband, Donald, were parents of a son, Frank, and daughter Caroline.
Kate Hall Franklin-Chadwick, June 12, 1997.
A Phi Beta Kappa graduate and a member of the Bates Key, Kate Hall Franklin-Chadwick was an active alumna during her lifetime. She was past president of the Philadelphia Bates Club served on the Alumni Assn. Executive Committee, was class agent for many years and vice president of the Florida Bates Club, 1979-1981. She assisted in her mother’s dressmaking business in Rumford prior to her marriage to classmate B. Russell Franklin. He died in 1982. While raising her family, she also substituted in Philadelphia public schools. Retiring to Cape Cod in 1972, she was an active member of the Harwich Congregational Church, an avid gardener and quilter, and devoted to her extended family. She leaves daughters Sarah Franklin ’62, Barbara Franklin DeWeerd, son Peter Franklin, stepdaughter Mary Ellen (Chadwick), stepson Bruce Chadwick, 13 grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, and her husband, Alan Chadwick.
Betty Mann Jacobs, July 27, 1997.
A member of the Bates Key, Betty Mann Jacobs taught French and Latin at Richmond High School after she graduated. In the ’30s she had served as an officer in the Bates Alumni Club of Western Pennsylvania. A homemaker, she later taught in an elementary school in San Mateo, Calif. Retiring to Holly Hill, Fla., she was an active member of three humane societies, past president of PEO Sisterhood Chapter, an active member of SeaBreeze United Church of Ormond Beach. She enjoyed her teaching as well as writing and presenting programs about growing up in Auburn. Survivors include sons Clifton Jr. ’59 and Thomas ’63, four grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. She was predeceased by her husband, classmate Clifton W. Jacobs ’32 in 1981, brothers Parker ’32 and Bernard ’36.
Otis B. Tibbetts, July 6, 1997.
A member of College Club, Dr. Otis Tibbetts received his M.D. from Tufts Univ. in 1936. He practiced in Auburn, then served during World War II in the U.S. Army 67th General Hospital, returning to ophthalmology practice in Auburn until his retirement in 1981. Dr. Tibbetts was an active member of the community, having been at one time president of both the Twin Cities’ Executive Club, and the Stanton Bird Club. He was a 25-year member of Rabbioni Lodge AF&AM, Kora Temple, and the Kiwanis Club. A member of local and national medical societies, he also belonged to the New England Ophthalmology Society and the Mayflower Society. Among his hobbies were gardening, woodworking, and travel. His wife, the former Edith Pennell ’33, survives as do sons Walter and Otis, nine grandchildren including Deborah T. Parkin ’80 and Kathryn T. Morello ’91, seven great-grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews.
Vincent J. Kirby, Aug. 1, 1997.
A loyal and active alumnus throughout his life, Vincent Kirby always kept in touch with the College. He was a member of College Club, class president, class agent, and had been president of both the Washington, D.C., and the Southwest Florida Bates clubs. He earned an M.Ed. from Boston Univ., studying also at Georgetown Law School. In Washington, D.C., he had been deputy director of the Personnel Department of the General Accounting Office, retiring in 1970. He and his wife, Verna (Brackett ’34) summered in Corea until 1996 when they moved permanently to Venice, Fla. He was a member of the Venice United Church of Christ and the Venice Yacht Club. In addition to his wife, he leaves daughter Barbara, son Paul, three grandchildren, and a great-grandson. He was predeceased by his father-in-law, Vernon K. Brackett ’12 and sister-in-law Frances Brackett Zwinck ’33.
Eda Osano Smith, June 28, 1997.
A graduate of Boston Univ. with a B.A. in art, Eda Osano Smith was a homemaker with a talent for art that flourished during her lifetime. At one time she was president of the Democratic Women’s Club of Mundelein, Ill., and in recent years referred to herself as a “self-employed farmer,” involved in ranching, farming, and agriculture. She leaves her husband, Donald M. Smith ’34, six grandchildren, and 13 great-grandchildren
Marvin B. Angier, March 3, 1997.
Mr. Angier attended Bates for one year. He had lived in Arizona and was the author of several books about travel and nature including The Art and Science of Taking to the Wood and One Acre of Security. The Bates Outing Club is mentioned in one of his books.
Thomas W. Musgrave, Oct 20, 1997.
Always interested in Bates, Thomas Musgrave kept in touch with the College throughout his life. He was co-founder and president of Musgrave Tower Farms Dairy in Billerica, Mass. After he retired from active operation of his business, he spent winters in Englewood, Fla., for 27 years, where he was in the real estate business. He was a member of the Englewood United Methodist Church. Tom Musgrave summered in Brunswick and enjoyed cruising the Maine coast in his yacht, The Boo Vee. His wife, the former Beulah Long, died in 1989. He leaves a brother Earl, and his companion, Helen White. A brother, Ralph ’38, and brother-in-law Ralph “Red” Long ’32 predeceased him.
Jean Murray Godfrey, May 18, 1997.
Jean Murray Godfrey devoted her life to religious work with her husband, Vincent, serving pastorates in Maine, Manchester, N.H., and Michigan. She had tutored school-age children in English in private schools in New Hampshire. Prior to her marriage she had been an editorial assistant to her brother, the Rev. Frank Murray ’34, continuing to write several brief essays and poems for religious periodicals in later years. A member of Volunteer Tutors of America, Jean Murray Godfrey worked to combat adult illiteracy, and was assistant to the matron of Fairwood Bible Institute before she retired in 1989. She leaves a sister, Mildred, brothers Frank, Victor ’33, several nieces and nephews including Timothy ’68, and was predeceased by her husband and a sister, Helen.
J. Donald MacBain, May 30, 1997.
After he graduated from Bates, J. Donald MacBain was a football trainer at the College before he became an English and history teacher and athletic director in Berwick. During World War II he served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy, stationed at Brunswick Naval Air Station from 1942 to 1946. He returned to Berwick, then taught in Massachusetts at Hanover Center High School until 1948 when he joined the Belmont High School faculty. For 29 years during the summer he operated his own business, Equi-Aqua Camp in Hanover. He leaves his wife, Mary, son John Jr., and three grandchildren. Malcom MacBain ’60 is his nephew.
Robert E. Saunders, April 20, 1997.
As a teacher, priest, and humanitarian, Robert Saunders devoted his life to young people. An outstanding athlete as an undergraduate, he first taught and coached in his hometown of Farmington, Conn., at Union Junior High School, then at the high school. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army as a captain in the Pacific and was provost of the Japanese and Korean prisoner of war camp in the Philippines, setting up a sick bay for the prisoners and organizing Sumo wrestling matches with other compounds. In 1947 “Bob” Saunders earned a master’s degree in educational administration from Columbia Univ. and returned to Farmington as principal first of the elementary and junior high schools, then of the high school. In 1949 he became superintendent of schools. After 22 years in public education, he studied for the priesthood at Pope John XXIII National Seminary and was ordained at the age of 50 by the late Richard Cardinal Cushing. He served as assistant pastor at St. Mary Church in New Britain, then was appointed principal of East Catholic High School, where he served for 11 years. In later years, he began to teach part time at St. Paul School in Bristol, was chaplain for their football team and supported all the teams. A charter member of East Catholic High School’s Hall of Fame in Manchester, he also was honored when that school’s gym was named for him. As recently as 1994, Father Saunders taught inner-city children in summer school and coordinated classes in religion. With a keen interest in other religions — he had made three trips to Israel — he taught students some Hebrew and served Matzoh while describing Passover. “Students are my family,” he said. He was a member of the Bates College Club and the Community of Divinity Students of Greater Boston. He leaves two sisters, several nieces, and nephews.
Charles F. Taylor, July 20, 1997.
After a year at Bates, where he roomed with high-school classmate Edmund Muskie ’36, Charles Taylor’s education was interrupted by the Depression. He spent several years at Butler Hospital Nurses’ Training School in Providence, R.I., and at the Payne Whitney Psychiatric Clinic in New York City. During World War II, he spent three years in Eritrea with the hospital unit of Douglas Aircraft Co., where he established a psychiatric unit and was director of the nonmedical hospital staff. After the war he earned his B.A. and M.A. degrees from New York Univ., also doing graduate work at Columbia. For 31 years he taught at Horace Greeley High School in Chappaqua, N.Y., and, in 1970, became guidance counselor. His relationships with former students continued through his retirement. Active in the community, Charlie Taylor received the first Citizen of the Year Award from the Newcastle Town Club for his work in organizing the Chappaqua Forum on American Foreign Policy. He also organized and was in charge of the first Student International Exchange at Horace Greeley, and directed the school’s summer school program for six years. An officer in local educational associations, he had been a John Hay Fellow at the 1962 Colorado College Summer Institute, had taught at Colgate Univ.’s Conference on American Foreign Policy, and also lectured at Syracuse Univ. School of Journalism. He was a member and trustee of Chappaqua Historical Society, Phi Delta Kappa, a volunteer at Mount Kisco Day Care Center, and past president of Friends of the Library. Throughout his life he had traveled extensively in 50 states, Europe, Antarctica and New Zealand. In 1983 he moved to California to be near his family. He leaves daughter Shelley, grandchildren Sara and Charles, and two sisters. His wife, the former Pearl Harvey, predeceased him in 1974. A piano teacher, she also may be remembered as secretary to Dean Hazel Clark for eight years.
Mitchell Stashkow, July 5, 1997.
Mitchell Stashkow was a member of Delta Phi Alpha. After graduation he worked for American Thread Co., Kerr Mills, as tester of speeds and payrolls. For the remainder of his professional life, he worked for the Veterans Administration in Washington, D.C. After he retired in 1977 to Fall River, Mass., he was a hospital volunteer. He enjoyed gardening and fishing. He leaves two sisters, several nieces and nephews.
Sumner F. Blanchard, March 8, 1997.
Sumner Blanchard attended Bates for two years. After working for Stoddard & Co. public relations counselors in Boston and at Browne & Sharpe in Providence, R.I., he joined the family sheet metal business. During World War
II he served in the U.S. Army, then returned to the North Reading (Mass.) business for more than 40 years. He also was co-owner and treasurer of the Ideal Can Co. of Wakefield. In Reading, Mr. Blanchard was actively involved with the Quannepowitt Players as actor, director, and president. After he retired to South Bristol, he joined the Lincoln County Community Theater as actor, director, and consultant. Cooking and reading were among his hobbies. He leaves his wife, Barbara, sons Forrest and William, five grandchildren, three great-grandchildren, a sister and two brothers.
Albin Rand Hagstrom, Aug. 28, 1997.
Dr. Albin Hagstrom received his D.D.S. from Columbia Univ. School of Dentistry. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy. He practiced as an oral surgeon in Garden City, N.Y., for many years, retiring in 1974. Residents of Southbury, Conn., from 1976 to 1982, the Hagstroms then moved to Hilton Head Island, S.C. He was a fellow of the American Society of Oral Surgeons, and a diplomate of the American Board of Oral Surgeons. Among his survivors are his wife, Selma, son Stephen, daughter and son-in-law Stephen ’70 and Barbara Hagstrom Andrick ’71 and two grandchildren. He was the son of Alice Rand Hagstrom 1906 and a nephew of Harold and Harriet Rand Pingree 1908.
Charles F. North Sr., Aug. 1, 1997.
Mr. North attended Bates for two years. He served in Europe during World War II. For 33 years he worked for the U.S. Postal Service in Braintree and Quincy, Mass., Milton, N.H., and for 15 years worked on the postal train from Boston to New York, retiring in 1980. He had lived in Braintree for 48 years, where he was an enthusiastic member of the golf club; recently he belonged to the Biddeford-Saco Country Club. His wife, Margaret, survives as do son Charles, daughters Ann and Deborah, seven grandchildren and a great-grandson.
Christian K. Madison, Feb. 25, 1997.
A career Air Force officer and church administrator, Christian Madison studied at the Episcopal Theological School of the University of Denver and was a graduate of the USAF Command College. He received the Air Univ. diploma at Maxwell AFB in Alabama in 1958, was in command of the Support Squadron there. He retired as lieutenant colonel after 27 years of service with a commendation medal and Oak Leaf Cluster. He was assistant and administrator in Massachusetts, Texas, and Oklahoma churches. Active also in Boy Scouts, “Chris” Madison served as a Scout executive of the Chicago Council in the ’40s. He was a member of professional associations including the National Assn. of Church Business Administrators from whom he received their Saucedo medal in 1990 for “unselfish leadership, dedication and commitment to community and church.” While in Chicago, he was twice president of the Bates Club there and vice president of the Washington, D.C., Bates Club. Survivors include his wife, Mildred, sons Christian III and John, daughter Karen, several grandchildren, and a great-grandson.
Gilbert L. Woodward, Sept. 20, 1997.
During service in World War II in the U.S. Army, Gilbert Woodward earned the American Service and Victory medals and was discharged as a captain in 1946. His career in public relations included work as copywriter for Charles Sheldon Advertising Agency in Springfield, Mass., in the advertising department of Stanley Home Products, and as associate director of Ketchum Inc. In the ’70s, Mr. Woodward served several New York area hospitals including Lutheran Medical Center and Wyckoff Heights of Brooklyn as well as at Metropolitan Hospital Center in New York City. A newsletter editor for three major N.Y. hospitals, he received, among other awards, the 1983 Maceachern Award in Milwaukee, Wis. He taught evening classes in community relations and development at St. Thomas College, Brooklyn, and retired in 1985. A member of the New York chapter of the Mayflower Society, Gilbert Woodward had been a PTA officer, chaired the Boy Scout fund-raising effort in Suffolk County, and was a member of several professional organizations. He kept in touch with Bates through alumni clubs, serving as president of the Springfield Club from 1952 to 1958. In the summers at Dresden, he worked on the restoration of his family’s 250-year-old Sky Farm, and he enjoyed exploring Maine and Long Island beaches. Among his survivors are daughters Deborah and Cynthia, sons Gilbert II, Robert and John, eight grandchildren, one great-granddaughter, and a cousin, Helene Woodward Kimball ’41. His wife, Ruth, died in 1988. His father was Louis B. Woodward 1909.
James B. Vickery III, June 13, 1997.
A noted Maine historian, James Vickery earned a master’s degree at UMaine/Orono and received an honorary L.H.D.. from the University in 1993. For 34 years he taught English at Lee Academy, Dexter and Brewer high schools, retiring in 1981. During World War II he was a staff sergeant in the U.S. Army. He had been president of the Bangor Historical Society, the Maine Historical Preservation Committee, the Maine Historical Society standing committee, and chaired several Bicentennial and Civil War celebrations. He was member of the Society of Mayflower Descendants and Sons of American Revolution. Throughout his life, James Vickery wrote extensively on local and state history. Among his publications: A History of Unity, Maine (1954), Illustrated History of Bangor (1969), and Biography of a Maine Architect (1974); he edited The Journal of John Edwards Godfrey: Bangor, Maine (1963-1969); he wrote History of Maine Magazines and taught a course in Maine history at Orono. In 1983 he received the university’s Distinguished Service Award and, in 1991, a national commendation from the American Assn. of State and Local History. He is survived by several cousins.
Gerard P. Leen, July 14, 1997.
Following a year at Bates, Gerard Leen served during World War II in headquarters at Battery Harbor in defense of Cristobal. He earned the Good Conduct medal, American Theater Campaign ribbon, the Victory medal and lapel button. For 25 years he was an inspector for Insurance Services of Boston. A member of the American Legion, he was a communicant of St. Joseph Church, Holbrook, Mass. He is survived by his wife, M. Genevieve, sons Gerard and Thomas, a brother and sister.
David A. Nichols, June 21, 1997.
The Hon. David Nichols, retired justice of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court and one of the country’s most prominent jurists, graduated from Bates magna cum laude and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and Delta Sigma Rho as an active debater. After service in the U.S. Air Force during World War II, he earned his J.D. from the Univ. of Michigan in 1949. In the ’50s, David Nichols was president of the Maine Council of Young Republicans, the Camden-Rockport Chamber of Commerce, and was a member of the Governor’s Executive Council. He was moderator of the Lincolnville town meeting, and was active in the area as past-president of the Camden Historical Society, the Rotary Club, the Business Men’s Assn. and educational associations. In 1975 Governor Longley appointed him to the Maine Superior Court and in 1979 Judge Nichols was appointed to the Supreme Judicial Court, being reappointed in 1984, during which time he wrote more than 300 decisions (and more than 60 dissents) until his retirement in 1988. A member of the Board of Governors of the American Bar Assn. and president of the Maine Trial Lawyers’ Assn., he was a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, and belonged to the Society of Professionals in Dispute Resolution. With a lifelong interest in history and genealogy, he served on the Maine Historical Standing Committee, the Maine Old Cemetery Assn., and the Maine Genealogical Society. He attended churches in Belfast, Lincolnville and Camden. “A country lawyer,” said former Chief Justice Vincent L. McKusick ’44, “David Nichols had a deep interest in and wide knowledge of Maine history particularly.” A true Brooks Quimby debater, David Nichols was a popular speaker at historical societies and other meetings. In Bates affairs, he was an officer in the local Bates Club in Michigan, was president of the Knox County Bates Club in 1950-1952, and served as president of the Bates Alumni Assn. in 1957-1958. Three nieces and two cousins survive.
Meredith Grant, July 19, 1997.
After he graduated from Bates, Meredith Grant served as a radio operator in the Philippines during World War II. The former co-owner of Tucker Hardware in Skaneateles, N.Y., he became founder and sole owner of Chlorination Equipment Co. in which he was responsible for design, implementation, and servicing of municipal and industrial installations in New England and New York state. When he retired, he received a life membership in the American Water Works Assn. A resident of the Finger Lakes region, Mr. Grant loved sailing and was a former member of the Skaneateles Country Club. He served on the local Municipal Board, the Chamber of Commerce and was active in the Weedsport Community Theater. He leaves his wife, Marcia, daughters Martha and Carolyn, sons Richard and David, 12 grandchildren, four step-children and eight step-grandchildren.
Dante Posella, March 17, 1957.
Mr. Posella served in the U.S. Army, attended Bates and completed his B.A. work at Boston University, also earning a master’s degree in 1956 from Columbia University. He lost his life in an apartment house fire.
Robert L. Schaffrath, June 14, 1997.
An educator who was active in his community and church, Robert Schaffrath earned his master’s and Ph.D. degrees from Syracuse University. He taught chemistry at the Univ. of Massachusetts, at Purdue Univ., was associate professor at SUNY/New Paltz. In 1961 he held a similar position at C.W. Post College, becoming professor of chemistry in 1976. Following his retirement in 1992, he continued part time with teaching and counseling, culminating a 48-year career as an educator. A member of Masons, AF&AM, head deacon and rector in his church, “Bob” Schaffrath was involved with Boy Scouts as cubmaster and leader, receiving the God and Service Recognition Award from his church and the Silver Beaver Award. He was a member of American Chemical Society, American Assn. for the Advancement of Science, and honorary professional societies. He published in The Journal of the Organic Chemistry Society (1959), The Journal of Organic Chemistry, and was president of the New York Professional Chapter of Alpha Chi Sigma. In 1990 he received the 30-year faculty award from C.W. Post College. Among his hobbies, he made beach plum jams and jellies, winning ribbons at the Long Island Fair. He leaves his wife Sylvia, son Robert daughters Sibil and Jeannette.
William H. Fee, Aug. 10, 1997.
After a year at Bates, William Fee served with the 15th Air Force in Italy during World War II and later was president of the 456th Bomb Group Assn. Following work as divisional manager at the New England Fire Insurance Rating Association, he was a field rep for the Berkshire Mutual Insurance Co. in eastern Massachusetts. He retired in 1988. Among his survivors are his wife, Kathleen, brothers Richard ’43, Robert and Peter, and several nieces and nephews.
Eleanor Frost Michaels, Sept. 12, 1997.
Eleanor Frost Michaels lived in India and graduated from the Woodstock School before she entered Bates. She spent a year at Simmons College School of Social Work for a year and was a social worker with the Massachusetts State Health Department for two years. After working as a secretary at Bates and at the Ocean Park Hotel in the summer, she combined her life as a homemaker with jobs at the National Research Council in Wshington, D.C., as a social worker with Aid to Dependent Children in Toledo, Ohio, and as secretary in the learning disabilities clinic at Northwestern Univ. Eleanor Michaels also had been a church secretary at the Mount Vernon Unitarian Church in Alexandria, Va. After she returned to the Lewiston-Auburn area in 1971, she became active in several local organizations. She was medical secretary for her brother, Dr. Robert Frost ’35, and was church secretary at the High Street Congregational Church from 1979 to 1981. She is survived by a son, Glenn, her brother and two grandchildren. Her parents were Harold 1907 and Mabel Schermerhorn Frost 1908.
Marion Thurber Boocock, May 12, 1997.
Marion Thurber Boocock attended Bates for two years. She was a homemaker and mother and lived in Portsmouth, R.I., for 40 years. She worked as a legal assistant for the late U.S. Attorney Paul F. Murray, and had served in that capacity when he was in private practice. Until she retired in 1990, she was a legal secretary for Tillinhast, Collins & Graham in Providence. Since 1993 Marion Boocock had lived in Middletown, R.I., where she served on the board of the public library. She was a member of the United Congregational Church and Altar Guild. Her survivors include son, H. David, daughters Amy and Janet, and four grandchildren. Her husband was the late Harry Boocock.
Norman F. Jordan, Aug. 6, 1997.
Norman Jordan served as a radio specialist in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II. He had studied interior design at Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts. For several years he worked in sales for several companies including Jordan Marsh Co. and John B. Pray in Boston, Brooks Brothers Wholesale Chemical Company in Los Angeles, and had been an office supervisor at McKesson & Robbins when he retired in 1984. While in California, Norman Jordan was president of the Southern California Bates Club (1960-1961). Throughout his life he read extensively, enjoyed classical music, sports and his friends.
Florence Lindquist Slocum, March 26, 1997.
Florence “Lindy” Slocum, a homemaker and mother, held several positions in the health care field in the years after graduation. Following her marriage to Frederick Slocum in 1959, “Lindy” Slocum lived in Connecticut and was assistant secretary of the Greater New London Chamber of Commerce. In 1954 she was an X-ray assistant at Seaside Sanatorium. An officer in Little League Council and active in Waterford Babe Ruth Auxiliary, she also served as secretary of the local scholarship committee and on the advisory board of the Public Health Nursing Assn. In recent years, she was a medical secretary at General Surgical Associates in New London. Her husband survives as do sons Peter and William, daughter Judith and eight grandchildren. Her aunt was the late Florence G. Lindquist ’21.
William W. Mobilia, May 31, 1997.
William Mobilia served in the U.S. Army during World War II, then taught school in Westford, Mass., taking courses at Boston Univ. and Harvard. He was business manager at Palmer Pollaski in Boston until 1974 when he became founder and president of Financial Consultants Inc. of Stoneham, Mass., as well as general agent for United Life & Accident Co., from which he received a C.L.U. Award. A member of the civil advisory board of Boston Regional Medical Center, he was past president of the Boston region of the American Assn. of Certified Financial Planners from 1976 to 1977, and he belonged to Rotary, Stoneham, and Bear Hill country clubs. Among his survivors are his wife, Anita, son William Jr., daughter Florence, and three grandchildren.
Judith Nevers Inchautequis, March 7, 1997.
A social services provider, Judy Nevers Inchautequis was a child welfare worker for the state of Maine in Bangor, and later as a city welfare caseworker in Norwalk, Conn. For a time she lived and worked in Rye and Port Chester, N.Y., and was a part-time professional for Fawcett Publications in Greenwich, Conn. After she moved to Skowhegan in 1989, she was a general assistance director of the town, secretary of the Federated Church, a curator at History House, and member of the Riverside Ringers, Community Band, Women’s and Garden clubs. Among her survivors are her husband, Samuel, son Douglas, daughter Donna, three grandchildren, two step-grandchildren, a sister, nieces and nephews.
William N. Blake, June 21, 1997.
William Blake attended Bates for a year. He attended Portland Junior College, the Univ. of Miami, and in 1958 he worked at General Motors. His family in New Hope, Pa., included his wife, Gertrude, and a daughter, Katherine.
Samuel J. Kozak, July 2, 1997.
A geology major at Bates, Samuel Kozak earned his M.S. from Brown in 1958 and the Ph.D. from Univ. of Iowa in 1961. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1950 to 1958. He joined the faculty of Washington and Lee Univ. in Lexington, Va., in 1961 with special fields of interest in micropaleontology, petrology, and planetology. In recent years he was the university’s representative for the Keck Consortium Undergraduate Research Project, a program funded by the Keck Foundation to improve the quality of geologic education at 12 liberal arts member colleges. An active member of the American Geophysical Union and the Geological Society of America, Professor Kozak was head of the geology department and a loyal supporter of the college’s athletic programs. He attended the R.E. Memorial Episcopal Church and was a member of the Lexington Golf and Country Club. Among his survivors are his wife, Julia, daughter Jennifer, son Matthew, and three grandchildren.
Kenneth A. Sargent, May 19, 1997.
A career geologist, Kenneth Sargent was employed by the U.S. government for 33 years. He worked in Denver, Colo., Washington, D.C., and most recently in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. He earned master’s and Ph.D. degrees from State Univ. of Iowa. Initially he did research for Texaco in New Orleans and taught a summer field course in South Dakota and Wyoming. He moved to Denver as a mineralogist for the U.S. Geological Survey in 1962, followed by the USGS mission in Jeddah. Before he retired to the coast of Maine in 1995, he had worked at the National Center, OIG, in Reston, Va. A member of the Geological Society of America, he was a former member of the First Baptist Church of Denver. He leaves his wife, Ruth Scammon Sargent ’54, sons David, John, Andrew, two granddaughters, a brother, nieces and nephews. His parents-in-law were John ’27 and Margaret Morris Scammon ’28.
Clyde A. Swift, August 15, 1997.
A member of College Club, Clyde Swift earned his M.D. from Tufts Univ. in 1958. He served with the U.S. Marine Corps 2d Division and was a member of the Massachusetts National Guard. For 21 years he was on the staff of the Department of Anesthesiology at Glens Falls (N.Y.) Hospital and at Memorial Hospital in Martinsville, Va. In the ’80s Dr. Swift taught at Yale Medical School as assistant professor, section chief, and resident counselor. For three years he was medical director of Kennedy Convalescent Center. A member of the Impaired Physician Committee of Connecticut State Medical Society, the committee on Physician Health of the New Haven Medical Society, chairman of the Medical Center Task Force on Impaired Health Care Providers. He belonged to national, state, and local professional associations and the Society of Anesthesia. He also was a member of Toastmasters, YMCA, a Scoutmaster, and senior medical advisor for the New York State Police. Among his family members are his wife, Marion, sons Michael, David, Daniel, Peter, Derek, daughters Diane, Cynthia, step-daughter Marie, step-son William, and five grandchildren.
Mark Amechi Muotune, Jan. 10, 1979.
Dr. Mark Muotune graduated with a B.S. in biology and attended graduate school at Univ. of Conn., then earned his M.D. at National Univ.of Ireland in 1962. He served his internship in Manchester, England, and became a medical officer in obstetrics and gynecology at Univ. College Hospital in Ibadan, Nigeria. In 1967 he moved to Glasgow, Scotland, to practice at the Royal Infirmary. He was senior house officer at West Regional Hospital there, maintaining general practice in Glasgow at Queen Mother Hospital and served on the faculty of homeopathy. Survivors include his wife, Maureen Ojekwe, who wrote that “he was so proud of his stay at Bates and discussed memories frequently.” He also leaves five children: sons Jiddofor (Jim), Dozie (Andrew), Hannan, Amechi, Jr., and Heoma.
Norman E. Levine, Sept. 6, 1997.
A national and internationally known amateur track coach, Norman Levine was men’s track and cross-country coach at Brandeis Univ. for 30 years. He retired in 1994. A member of College Club, he was president of the Philadelphia Bates Club in 1960. He earned an M.Ed. from Boston Univ. and an M.S. in physical chemistry from the National Science Foundation. His Brandeis teams won 51 conference regional, NCAA and institutional championships. Ten times Coach of the Year for Division III, he also was a field event coach for the 1974 U.S. meet with the U.S.S.R. Head coach of track and swimming in the ’70s, he was also associate professor of physical education and academic advisor. Norman Levine was elected to the Brandeis Athletic Hall of Fame, received the NCAA’s Silver Award for Distinguished Service, and served as president of both the Greater Boston Track Coaches and Massachusetts Track and Field Officials’ associations. His survivors include brothers Howard and Richard, two sisters-in-law, and four nephews.
Robert G. Tetler, June 7, 1997.
A lawyer by profession, Robert Tetler earned his LL.B. from Boston Univ. in 1965. Following six months active duty in the U.S. Army Reserves, he joined the Hampton (N.H.) law firm of William Treat. In 1976 he was a partner in the law firm of Tetler & Holmes. He was a special justice of the Seabrook Municipal Court, a fellow of the New Hampshire Bar Foundation and former Rockingham County Governor to the State Bar Assn. For 20 years, Mr. Tetler was a director of the Hampton National/Meridian Bank. He was a member of Rotary and a member of the First Congregational Church, where he served as deacon and moderator. He belonged to the Masonic Temple, F&AM of Hampton, the Scottish Rite Bodies of Portsmouth and Dover Consistory, Valley of Nashua, and Bektash Temple Shrine of Concord. He leaves daughters Jennifer and Alison Tetler, stepson Richard Preston, stepdaughter Alicia Preston and his companion of many years, Judy Harris Preston.
Dana D. Gallison, April 11, 1997.
Dana Gallison majored in philosophy and was a dean’s list student during his three years at Bates. He attended law school in Portland and most recently lived in Houlton. He is survived by three aunts and an uncle.
Jonathan Chiu-Sung Liang, Aug. 4, 1997.
An English major and dean’s list student, Jonathan Liang maintained an ongoing interest in and support of Bates after he graduated. He was principal and general manager of Odyssey HealthCare Corp. of Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He had been market manager at Health Infusion Inc. in Miami since 1993. An active member, elder, and youth advisor of Bethany Presbyterian Church, he served on the school board of Bethany Christian School. He was a member of Tower Club, and Fort Lauderdale Yacht Club. Jonathan Liang leaves his wife, Kim, son Elijah, parents Grant and Lucille Liang, and sister Christine.
Evelyn Minard Phillips, Oct. 9, 1997.
For 22 years the first lady of Bates College, a woman who graced the campus with hospitality and made all members of the community feel welcome, whether that be young people away from home for the first time or distinguished lecturers and Commencement speakers, Evelyn Phillips was born in Knoxville, Pa., on May 14, 1910, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. Raymond Minard. A 1932 graduate of Elmira College in Elmira, N.Y., she received advanced education as a dietitian at the Woman’s Education Union affiliated with Boston’s Simmons College. In June 1932, she married Charles F. Phillips of Geneva, N.Y. Their son Charles Jr. is a graduate of the Univ. of New Hampshire and has a Ph.D. in economics from Harvard Univ. and is now a professor of economics at Washington and Lee Univ. in Lexington, Va. Carol P. Taylor, their daughter, is a graduate of Oberlin College in Ohio with a master’s degree from the Univ. of Wisconsin. She lives with her husband in Birmingham, Ala. Following their years at Harvard and Simmons, Dr. and Mrs. Phillips lived in Geneva, N.Y., for a year when Dr. Phillips taught economics at Hobart College. He then joined the economics department at Colgate Univ. and they lived in Hamilton, N.Y. During World War II, Washington D.C., was their home as Dr. Phillips served with the Office of Price Administration, becoming deputy administrator for rationing. In the fall of 1944, Dr. Phillips became president of Bates College, retiring on Jan. 1, 1967. During the more than two decades at Bates College, Mrs. Phillips was an active hostess at social functions for Bates faculty, students, alumni, and trustees. She accompanied her husband to Bates alumni meetings throughout the country. In the Lewiston-Auburn community, she was a regular volunteer at the Central Maine Medical Center, a member of the Women’s Literary Union, and active in the YWCA and the Girl Scouts of America. For several years she was president of the Wednesday Morning Club and later a member of the Lewiston-Auburn Art and Literature Club. In 1966, Bates recognized her many contributions by awarding her an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree. As a member of the United Baptist Church, she was involved in the activities of the Women’s society of that institution. She is survived by her husband, Dr. Charles F. Phillips of Auburn; a son, Charles Phillips Jr., of Lexington, Va., and a daughter, Carol P. Taylor, of Birmingham, Ala.
John F. Barry, Dec. 18, 1996.
During World War II John Barry served in the U.S. Navy submarine division in the the Pacific. At one time he was a member of the V-12 contingent at Bates. In addition to his wife, Charlotte, he leaves daughters Christine and Barbara, and a grandson.
Paul D. Carroll, March 2, 1997.
During 33 months as a chief specialist in the U.S. Navy V-12 program, Paul Carroll was assistant coach of football and basketball at Bates. He had lived in Chadron, Neb., where he taught and coached at the high school, served on the board of education there, was a member of the Congregational Church, Elks, Masons and Shrine. A brother and sister survive.
Charles H. Stauffer, Sept. 30, 1997.
Dr. Charles Stauffer came to Bates in 1965 to chair the Department of Chemistry and the Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. In 1968 he became the first Charles A. Dana Professor, an honor recognizing outstanding teaching by experienced teachers. A Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Swarthmore College, Dr.Stauffer earned advanced degrees at Harvard. He had taught at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Clark, and St.Lawrence universities and was director of the Chemical Data Project of the National Academy of Science from 1954 to 1964. The Bates faculty’s tribute praised their colleague as “a dedicated teacher who led his students through challenging physical chemistry concepts to the rewards of real understanding…. Throughout his career at Bates, Charlie maintained a respect not only for his students and colleagues, but also for the faculty and the College as institutions.” For the past 20 years since he retired, the Stauffers enjoyed boating on the Maine coast. A lifelong member of the Society of Friends, he was a member of Rabbioni Lodge of Masons and several national professional associations. He leaves his devoted wife of 58 years, Eleanor, sons- and daughters-in-law Charles and Jane, John and Judy, daughter Anne ’67, and six grandchildren.
David Williams, Aug. 29, 1997.
Professor David Williams came to Bates in 1957 as a member of the Department of Economics. After a career in the private sector as investment banker with Kidder Peabody and as a marketing executive at Lord & Taylor, he decided to join the academic community. At Bates he taught economics, was a member of the Guidance and Placement Committee and served a period as dean of men. In a faculty memorial, his colleagues observed: “In his view, it was far more important for an undergraduate — even one who planned to enter the world of commerce — to take a series of courses in, for example, literature, philosophy and history, rather than concentrate exclusively on economics…. For those who desired such a course, he provided guidance based partly on his personal experiences.” He received an M.A. from Harvard. He was an active, committed member of Christ Church in Gardiner.” He and Parthenia, his wife of 66 years, welcomed new faculty members in their home, and he was known as the Lollypop Man to neighborhood children of Mountain Avenue, a role he relished. He leaves three sons, eight grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren. His wife died in 1995.
Helen Sampson, April 3, 1997.
Wife of the late Charles Sampson, the Bates dean and patron saint of Sampsonville, the campus housing complex for World War II veterans during the post-war period, Helen Sampson soon made her own place in the College community through her lively personality and social gifts. Her special creative talents won her many friends in the Lewiston-Auburn area, where she taught classes in traditional American decorative arts such as stenciling, tole painting, and gold leaf work. She later continued her teaching in Nobleboro at the Sampsons’ summer home. Before her 1934 marriage to Charles Sampson, she had been executive secretary to the president of Northeastern Univ. After Mr. Sampson’s death in 1957, she became head of hall and director of travel at Northfield-Mount Hermon School, retiring to Lakeland, Fla., in 1971. She leaves a daughter, Martha Sampson Naismith.
The following deaths recently have become known to the College:
1923 Harold E. Bowie, Oct. 2, 1997.
1927 Bertha Jack Marshall, Dec. 6, 1997.
1934 Mary Gardner Knowles, Nov. 22, 1997.
Albert I. Oliver, Dec. 10, 1996.
1939 Stanley L. Bergeron, Oct. 26, 1997
1941 John K. Morris, Sept. 13, 1997.
1944 Alice Spooner Saunders ’44 Nov. 18, 1997.
1946 Charlotte Hawkes Stoughton, Oct. 21, 1997.
1947 Edward A. Penn, Dec. 10, 1997.
1949 Elizabeth Cozier Grim, Nov. 28, 1997.
Dwight P. Quigley, Nov. 29, 1997.
1952 Thomas D. Crumley, Oct. 17, 1997.
1954 Andy M. Ichiki, Oct. 27, 1997.
1969 Marilyn Coughlin Hall, Nov. 5, 1997.
Correction: In the summer issue, Ralph Pena ’79 and Paul Gastonguay ’58 were incorrectly listed among deceased alumni. They are very much alive. The magazine apologizes for the error and very much regrets that it occurred.