Dorothea Davis, July 2, 1998.
A member of the Bates Key, Dorothea Davis maintained a lifetime interest in the College. Following graduation, she taught in Massachusetts at Foxboro, Newburyport, Beverly, and Brockton. She taught college-preparatory English in the junior and senior high schools there for 38 years, retiring in 1968. For the last several years, she lived at Havenwood Retirement Home in Concord, N.H., where she enjoyed the company of many Bates graduates. They, in turn, appreciated her special sense of humor. Miss Davis had been a volunteer in the Veterans Hospital Medical Library and she was a member of the South Congregational Church. Survived by a nephew, Stuart Davis, she was predeceased by a sister, E. Christine Davis ’07, and brothers Wayne ’12 and Horace ’15.

Grace George Keane, Sept. 16, 1998.
Grace George Keane was 99 at the time of her death. She had lived Newport and Goffstown, N.H., and in Sarasota, Fla. Mrs. Keane was a member of DAR. Predeceased by her husband of 40 years, Dr. Edward F. Keane, she leaves sons Richard and Lawrence; daughters Virginia, Constance, and Barbara; 13 grandchildren; 15 great-grandchildren; and several cousins, nieces and nephews.


Waitie Gordon Gorham, Oct. 15, 1998.
A musician, poet, and teacher, Waitie Gordon Gorham earned a B.Mus. from Sherwood Music School, Chicago, in 1931 and in 1963 she studied at Colgate Univ. summer institute. She taught piano in North Monmouth before going to Chicago, where she was a member of the junior faculty of the music school, taught music, and was a private tutor. Along with her own studio, she also had been a music and math teacher at Harris Preparatory School. Following her marriage to Lee Gorham in 1955, Mrs. Gorham taught at Oak Grove School, Vassalboro, then was a music teacher and head of the math department at Livermore Falls High School for 17 years. She also served on the accreditation committee for Wells, Hall-Dale, and Morse high schools. After retiring, she taught piano part time and tutored in math, spending summers at her Mount Vernon home. While in Chicago, Mrs. Gorham was a member of the National Council of Teachers of Math, Friends of Literature, the National League of Pen Women. Her poetry was published in Best New Poets of 1988 and her poem, “Morning Time,” was included in Great Poems of the Western World. A sister and three nephews survive. Her husband of 28 years died in 1983.

Elizabeth Stickney, Sept. 11, 1998.
A social worker, Elizabeth Stickney first worked with the Worcester (Mass.) Children’s Friend (SIC) Society until 1930 when she joined the Ohio public health department in Granville and worked with American Red Cross in Columbus. Following her work with the Tennessee Child Welfare Services, Miss Stickney was a social worker with the New Bedford (Mass.) Child and Family Services, where she was a director of the YWCA and a member of the World Service Committee of the North Congregational Church. In the early 1940s she had studied at Simmons School of Social Work. After retiring in 1967 she moved to West Upton, where she belonged to the Historic Society, Woman’s Club, and often gave lectures on antique dolls. A sister, Eleanor Little of Maine, survives. Among her Bates relatives were her father, Myron W. 1873; an uncle, Malcolm E. 1898; and a cousin, Maynard S. Johnson ’21.


Victor H. Bowen, Oct. 11, 1998.
Educator, pianist, pilot, and good citizen, Victor Bowen was 93 at the time of his death. He taught science and coached three sports at Framingham (Mass.) Junior High School for 18 years, earned an M.Ed. at Boston Univ. in 1935 and studied also at Harvard and theUniv. of New Hampshire. Moving to Laconia, N.H., he was a junior high school principal and taught math. After several years as assistant superintendent of schools, he was appointed superintendent in 1965, retiring in 1970. A man of many interests, Victor Bowen learned to fly and soloed a plane at the age of 80. He entertained residents of three retirement homes, playing Broadway musical scores from memory and old familiar tunes. He also had been soloist in Gilbert and Sullivan operettas in a Little Theater group. In his 80s he swam regularly at the “Y” pool, bowled a string of 200 in the Golden Oldies League, captained the Guilford Hills Tennis Club, and enjoyed fishing and hunting. A member and trustee of Laconia Congregational Church, he was member and pianist for Kiwanis Club, a Mason, and a 25-year trustee of the public library. “He knew the value of a good education,” said his daughter, “and would encourage young students to consider Bates.” Born on Chebeague Island, Vic Bowen rode the ferry to Portland for weekly piano lessons. He and wife Sara spent many summers on Cousins Island. Among his survivors are a son, Dr. Jeffrey Bowen; a daughter, Judith B. Horki; five grandchildren; and two great- grandsons. He was predeceased in 1996 by his wife of 62 years.

Lucille Hicks Abbott, Aug. 9, 1998.
A classics major, Lucille Hicks Abbott first taught senior English at North Yarmouth Academy, then in Mexico and Rumford at Stephens High School in where one of her students was Edmund S. Muskie ’36. Following her marriage to Warren S. Abbott in 1934, she was a partner in their dairy farm and John Deere franchise until 1970. A founding member of the Searchlight Club that studied current events, Mrs. Abbott’s hobbies included travel, golf, fishing, and bridge. She leaves sons Charles, Walker, and Wilder; eight grandchildren, including George Abbott ’85; and two great-grandchildren. Her husband predeceased her in 1986.

Katherine Thomas Saunders Smith, July 26, 1998.
For several years, Katherine Thomas Saunders Smith was activities director of the Nashua (N.H.) YWCA. She married Arthur B. Saunders in 1930. After her children were grown and with the death in 1954 of her husband, she taught fourth and fifth grades at the Crowley and Broad Street schools in Nashua, and was a receptionist at the medical building in Hollis. Following her marriage to Stanley Smith in 1965, she served with him in Beirut, Lebanon, where he was with Cobb International, coordinating services for poultry farmers in the Middle East. Her book, Chickens, Cookies and Cuzzin Georgedescribed her adventures there. A resident of Hollis since 1941, Katherine Smith received the town’s Distinguished Citizen Award in 1996. She was a member of the Congregational Church where she served as deacon and council member. She belonged to DAR and the Colonial Garden Club, and was past president of the Woman’s Club and organizer and founder of the local town band. As a member of the local historical society, she wrote a chapter of its publication, Where the Past Has Been Preserved. Survivors include a son, Roger; a daughter, Carol; two grandchildren; two great- grandchildren; four step-grandchildren; and five step-great-grandchildren. Her husband predeceased her in 1975.


Philip A. Annas, June 2, 1998.
From a one-room schoolhouse in Spragueville to the Maine State Department of Education as director of instruction for 19 years, Philip Annas devoted his life to education. He earned an Ed.M. at UMaine-Orono in 1943. He was a high school principal in Brunswick, Hallowell, and Belfast, where he also was superintendent. He had been director of elementary and secondary education for Maine, taught in the UMaine summer school, assisted in the ’60s with the Neighborhood Youth Corps under the EOA, and was director of the New England Assessment Project. A member of local, state, and national educational associations, he received the Distinguished Service to Education Award from the State Superintendents Assn. A citizen of Augusta, he had been a Scoutmaster, served on the YMCA’s board of corporators and on the national YMCA program committee, receiving the organization’s Service to Youth Award in 1973. He belonged to Rotary, the Penney Memorial Baptist Church, and served as president of the United Baptist Convention of Maine. After he retired, Philip Annas was manager of his own business, Educational Services Inc. In 1928 he married his classmate, Elva Mae Duncan. Surviving are a daughter, Elaine A. Bailey ’51; eight grandchildren, including Barbara Bailey ’74; and 11 great-grandchildren. He was predeceased by his wife in 1994 and daughter Anne ’56 in 1974.

Arland Jenkins, Oct. 10, 1998.
A cum laude graduate with honors in economics, Arland Jenkins was elected to Delta Sigma Rho. He took graduate courses at UMaine-Orono, Trinity College, and the Univ. of Connecticut, and was a teacher in South Portland and Manchester (Conn.) high schools in the late ’20s. For 32 years he taught in Hartford at Bulkeley High School. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army. He was a member of Trinity United Methodist Church, Windsor. Among his survivors are two sisters-in-law, many nieces and nephews, special friends, and his caregiver, Sheila.


Louise Bixby Wright, May 9, 1998.
Following graduation, Louise Bixby Wright taught French and history for three years at South Paris High School. She attended Becker Business College for stenographic and secretarial courses and for 22 years she was a teller in the Leicester (Mass.) Savings Bank. Later, she helped with clerical work in her husband’s plumbing business for 21 years and was auditor for the local water and supply district. During the 64 years she lived in Leicester, Mrs. Wright was a member of the Federated Church and the choir, the Savings Bank Women of Massachusetts, and an associate member of the Bankers Educational Forum. She chaired the music and membership committee of the local women’s club and for 13 years was a corporator of the Leicester Savings Bank. Her husband, Alvin, died in 1977. She leaves a nephew, niece, grandnephews, and grandnieces.

Chadbourne R. Knowlton, May 30, 1998.
In his years following Bates, Chadbourne Knowlton was a radio teacher, a sales representative for Quaker Oats Co. in New Hampshire, and a sales engineer for Delco Products, a division of General Motors, in Detroit. In 1941 he took a postgraduate course at the U.S. Naval Academy. During World War II, he served as an ensign in the Navy, performing duties as a radar advisor to Rear Adm. Willis Lee, COMBATPAC-42, and was on board the USS Washington as assistant communications officer during the Battle of Guadalcanal. Returning to Delco in 1945, he was district manager in the Dayton and Hartford (Conn.) offices. He established Chad Knowlton Associates in Pompano Beach, Fla., in 1960. In retirement, “Chad” Knowlton enjoyed square dancing and attending the theater. Living a half year each in Arkansas and Apache Junction, Ariz., he moved to Sun City in 1990. Survivors include three sons, Chadbourne II, William, and Charles; and a daughter, Karin. His wife, Wilma, predeceased him in 1988.


William H. Dunham, Sept. 14, 1998.
Throughout his life, William H. Dunham contributed his time and talents to his College, community and the state of Maine. A cum laude graduate majoring in history and government, he was a member of Delta Sigma Rho and College Club. He earned his L.L.B. from Cornell in 1937 and was admitted to the Maine bar in 1940. After two terms on the Bates Board of Overseers (1944-1954 and 1957-1967), he was elected to the Board of Fellows in 1968 for 10 years, becoming Trustee emeritus in 1979. He had been vice chairman of the Bates Corporations Committee, a founding member of the board of WCBB, Maine Public Television, for whom he served as secretary and on the finance and budget committees. Following graduation, “Bill” Dunham was, briefly, teacher and principal at Marshfield (Vt.) High School and an attorney for the Boston law firm of Powers & Hall. In 1934 he joined the New England Public Service Co. as a member of the legal staff of Central Maine Power Co., working the rest of his professional life, 37 years, for CMP. He became CMP president in 1962 and also served as director for 17 years. The Maine Yankee atomic power plant was dedicated to him, the company’s first president. Mr. Dunham was a member of numerous energy companies, was an officer, consultant and director. In 1975 he received the Son of Maine Award from the New England Council for a native “who has made a significant contribution to his state or nation.” As a citizen of Augusta, he was a trustee and finance chairman of the Green Street United Methodist Church, was a director of Augusta General Hospital, supporter of YMCA, Kiwanis, founder of Boy Scouts’ advisory committee, and he played an important role in saving the Edwards Cotton Mill in the 1960s. In recent years, “Bill” Dunham’s many interests included hunting, fishing, gardening, and cross country skiing, and he also participated in the Masters Track and Field Organization, competing for 15 years in regional, national, and world meets. In 1989 he won the high jump in his 75-80 age group and placed in the javelin throw. Among his survivors are his wife of 60 years, Mary Elizabeth (Saunders); two sons, Thomas and William, Jr. ’63; two daughters, Mary Ann and Stella D. Lydon; seven grandchildren, including Erin Lydon ’92; and one great-granddaughter.

Margaret MacBride Donaghy, June 8, 1998.
An honors graduate, Margaret MacBride Donaghy taught high school English in Ashland and Lubec in Maine and in Segreganset, Mass. She also had taken courses at Radcliffe and Bates summer school. In 1938 she married John A. Donaghy. A homemaker, she also was secretary and co-owner of Donaghy Insurance and Real Estate Agency in Lubec. A member of the Congregational Christian Church and the Ladies Social Union, Mrs. Donaghy also belonged to Friends of the Library and was a life member of Eastern Star. Among her survivors are two daughters, Patricia ’65 and Margaret; two grandchildren; one great-granddaughter; a brother, Robert G. MacBride ’39; and nieces and nephews, including Robert G. III ’68. She was predeceased by her husband in 1996 and a daughter, Jane, in 1941.


Idabelle Worcester Long, May 17, 1998.
A long-time resident of Summit House, Bar Harbor, Idabelle Worcester Long attended Bates for three years until her marriage to Ralph “Red” Long ’32. Devoted to her family, she was the mother of Ben, Mary Louise, and Molly Sophie, grandmother of 12, and great- grandmother of 18. She also had assisted her husband in his work as a guidance counselor after his eyesight failed. He died in 1972 and a son, Ralph Jr., died in 1992.


Harry K. Foster, July 4, 1998.
An educator and administrator, Harry K. Foster earned his master’s at UMaine-Orono and the Ph.D. in education and psychology at the Univ. of Iowa in 1939. After teaching in Maine at Plymouth, Canton, and Brownville, he became an assistant professor of education and assistant director of adult education at the Univ. of Akron. While in a similar position at SUNY-Fredonia for 16 years, Harry Foster spent two years during that time on a team of consultants and as an advisor to the Ministry of Education in Bandung, Indonesia, returning to Fredonia in 1966. He then was advisor to Cameroon College of Arts and Sciences and Psychology with USAID located in Bambule, West Cameroon, Africa. On his return he was director of graduate studies at the Fort Ricker branch of Troy (Ala.) State Univ. for two years, then was a professor of psychology at Georgia Southwestern College in Americus. After his 1971 retirement, he continued to participate in local, state, and national professional and civic activities. He had published an article in The Journal of Experimental Education(1943), was a member of Phi Delta Kappa, and local and national educational associations. Among his survivors are a daughter, Rilla; two grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews. His wife of 61 years, Dorothy, predeceased him in 1997.

Abbott P. Smith, Sept 28, 1998.
A cum laude graduate with majors in Greek and German, Abbott Smith taught German in New Jersey at Rutgers Preparatory and Pingree schools, then moved to Maine where he helped develop a life insurance market for lobstermen, lumbermen, and farmers. He was owner of Maine Lakes and Coast real estate company and WMTW radio station, and was an agency representative for Union Coastal Life Insurance Co. In the ’40s, while living in Greater Portland, Mr. Smith served on the Yarmouth rationing board, chaired the New Gloucester Town Committee, worked on the War Fund for the county, and chaired the board of the Community Chest. From time to time he was a lay preacher in Portland area churches filling in for ministers serving in World War II, and later was preacher at St. Peter’s Church in Lithgow, N.Y. Moving to Denver for health reasons, Abbott Smith sold training programs for Silas Deane Corp. He wrote three books, including How to Sell Intangibles, then returned to the East, continuing to work for Silas Deane in New York City. After 11 years, the Smiths moved to a farm in Millbrook, where he became president of Abbott Smith Associates Inc., a specialized investment firm. He was a member of the American Society for Training and Development, the National Society for Performance Improvement, and the Organizational Network. In Bates affairs, it is thought that Abbott Smith, through his association with Professor of Greek George M. Chase, was responsible for the dedication of the Chase Room in Coram Library and for having Professor Chase’s portrait painted. He leaves his wife, Elizabeth Saunders Smith ’34; two sons, Abbott II and James; three daughters, Susan S. Davis ’65, Carol, and Jane; eight grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.


Bertha Wells McInnes, Sept 12, 1998.
For several years following graduation, Bertha McInnes taught in Canton and Kennebunkport, Maine. After her 1942 marriage to William McInnes, an Army chaplain, she was a homemaker and involved with activities as an Army chaplain’s wife and later as the social and religious activities of the wife of a Congregational minister. She also had been a pastor’s assistant in the Hampton (N.H.) Congregational Church. In the ’60s she lived in Warner, Nottingham, Stratham, and Hampton, where they had pastorates, and she was a member of the Notttingham Woman’s Club and the Stratham Congregational Church during that time. She enjoyed collecting souvenir silver spoons. Survivors include two sisters; a brother and his wife; and two nieces and three nephews. Her husband died in 1986.


Olive Gray Howe, June 25, 1998.
Following a year at Bates, Olive Gray Howe worked in Boston and lived in Quincy, Mass. She traveled extensively in the United States and abroad, maintaining a lifelong interest in people. She leaves a niece, Virginia Dodd, and many grandnieces and grandnephews. Her husband, Chester, predeceased her.

Virginia Scales Varnum, Oct. 26, 1998.
A member of Phi Beta Kappa, Virginia Scales Varnum taught high school English in Newfield and North Haven until 1938, when she was an instructor at Ecole Premiere Superieure in Bruges, Belgium. On her return to America, she taught French and Latin at Lisbon High School. For several years she worked in personnel at Liberty Mutual, Boston, as labor researcher for Western Electric in New York City, as research editor for Employee Relations Bulletin, and she served as executive assistant of the United Hospital Fund of New York. When she retired in 1981, Virginia Varnum had been librarian for the American Management Assn. for 15 years. An accomplished musician, she was first violinist in the Staten Island Symphony and a choir member and lay reader at Christ Church. Her interests included photography, archeology, camping, and extensive travel. She was a member of the Adirondack Mountain Club, volunteered with the St. Vincent’s Medical Center hospice program, and kept mentally alert with English courses at the College of Staten Island and Elderhostels in England. Survivors include her brother and his wife, June and L. Damon Scales; three nephews; two grandnieces, and one grandnephew. Her husband, Myron, whom she married in 1963, died in 1975.


Lona Denton Ingraham, Jan. 12, 1997.
A member of Phi Sigma Iota, Lona Denton Ingraham taught French and Latin at Freedom (Maine) Academy after graduation. She was a homemaker and mother, “an advocate of higher education and a regular supporter of Bates,” said her daughter, Linda I. Seng. Mrs. Ingraham and her husband, Albert, celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in 1989. Her daughter survives, as do a son, Allan, and two grandchildren.

Paul G. Morin, June 1, 1998.
A graduate of Providence College, Paul Morin attended Bates and was a Golden Gloves champion while there. He had operated taverns and a diner in Attleboro, Mass., and Pawtucket, R.I., until he retired in 1995. A member of BPOE/Elks, he leaves his wife, Maybelle; two sons, John and Michael; two daughters, Suzanne and Paula; six grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.


Barbara Seamon Mermes, Oct 28, 1998.
For several years Barbara Seamon Mermes was a research technician at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston, where she received her training. She married William Mermes in 1935 and lived in Needham, Mass., until retiring to Delray Beach, Fla. in 1984. A life member of Hadassah, she enjoyed golf and worked at the Westchester Golf Club in Boynton Beach. Her husband survives, as do two daughters, Maxine and Harriet; three grandchildren; and brother Theodore I. Seamon ’34.

Ruth Stoehr Smith, Aug. 25, 1998.
A high school English teacher for 35 years, Ruth Stoehr Smith taught in Maine at Andover, Bar Harbor, Camden, and, for 17 years, Waterville, where she was head of the English department. Earlier she had taught in Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Iowa. Ruth Smith earned additional credits at UMaine-Orono. She belonged to local and national educational associations including the New England Assn. of English Teachers and served as secretary of Delta Kappa Gamma for four years. Following her retirement in 1976, she moved to the family farm in Appleton, where she lived actively and independently. A member of the historical society, her favorite cause was the preservation of rural Appleton. Surviving are a son and daughter, Karl and Karen; a grandson, Adam; a brother and four sisters, including Annette S. Daggett ’43. Her husband, Verne ’43, predeceased her in 1971.


Bertha Bell Zeigler, Feb. 5, 1998.
A member of Delta Sigma Rho, Bertha Bell Zeigler taught English and French at Bucksport High School after she graduated. She worked in the Yale library while her husband and classmate, Earle, was a graduate student there. A homemaker and community volunteer, for most of her life she lived in London, Ont., where her husband was a university professor. He established the Bertha Bell Zeigler Memorial Lecture/Seminar for the London Regional Art and Historical Museum (LRAHM) because of her keen interest in the visual arts and where she was a faithful and knowledgeable volunteer tour guide. A former member of League of Women Voters in Michigan, she had been active with Collwood Collie Kennels while living there. In addition to her husband of 62 years, she leaves a son, Donald; a daughter, Barbara; and grandchildren.

Alfred W. Brown, July 24, 1998.
During World War II, Alfred Brown was an ensign in the U.S. Navy and commander of the USS Silverleaf, which helped install the net defense of Iwo Jima. A transfer from Dartmouth, Alfred Brown captained the tennis team at Bates. He attended the Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and for 30 years was owner and operator of Dykeman’s Drug Store in Hingham. A member of Hingham Yacht Club, the Cohasset Country Club, and the Cummaquid Golf Glub, he was a Mason, Shriner, and past president of the Wampatuck Club. Survivors include his wife, Jacqueline (Dykeman); three daughters, Deborah, Elizabeth, and Jacqueline; and six grandchildren. He was predeceased by a son, John.

Frances Coney Storm, May 7, 1998
Frances Coney “Tottie” Storm served as Annual Fund class agent and kept in contact with classmates. She took courses at Burdett Business College graduation and was a secretary at a Boston insurance office and at Ream General Hospital in Palm Beach, Fla. After her marriage to Samuel Storm in 1943, she was a homemaker and lived in Louisville, Ky., where she was a member of St. Andrew’s Church, the Woman’s Club, and Big Spring Country Club. Later in Marco Island, Fla., she was a member of St. Mark’s Episcopal Church and belonged to the Yacht and Sailing Club. She enjoyed travel, golf and bridge. Among her survivors are a son, S. Michael; two daughters, Charlotte and Jennifer; and six grandchildren. Her husband died in 1990.

Wyman H. Lord, May 29, 1998.
An educator, Wyman Lord taught math and science and was a coach for 21 years at Brockton (Mass.) High School. Earlier he had taught and coached at public schools in Bryant Pond, Maine; Chelmsford, Mass.; and Franklin, N.H., as well as at a private boys school in Marlborough, Mass. He earned an M.Ed. at Boston Univ. with additional study at Bridgewater State and Carnegie Tech. During World War II he served in the U.S. Air Force and U.S. Navy, working for a year as a ship fitter at Bath Iron Works in South Portland. Mr. Lord lived for many years in Harrison, where he was a member of the historical society, Calvary Community Church, Lions Club, Scottish Rite Bodies, the Shrine, Eastern Star, and was past master of Oxford Pomona Grange. While in Brockton he belonged to Central Methodist Church, several Masonic organizations, and was a member of Scottish Rite Bodies in Florida. In July 1989 he received the Purple Cross Award from York Rite Sovereign College of North America. After he retired in 1975, he pursued hobbies that included restoring old farm tools, collecting bottles and coins, and raising a bumper crop of raspberries. His wife, Ruth, survives, as do a brother, nieces and nephews.

Anne R. McNally, June 20, 1998.
During her professional career in Massachusetts, educator Anne McNally earned her M.Ed. in psychology from Boston Univ. in 1957. She first taught history and physical education at Deerfield (Mass.) High School, then became director of guidance in Wellesley, East Bridgewater, and, for 18 years, at Framingham North High School. When she retired in 1977 she was director of counseling and guidance services. A member and treasurer of the Massachusetts Assn. of Women Deans and Counselors, she chaired their professional placement service. She also belonged to the Personnel and Guidance Assn., the Greater Boston Assn., and national professional organizations. Most recently Anne McNally lived in Broomfield. She leaves a sister, R. Virginia McNally Callahan ’35; four nephews; and grandnieces and grandnephews.


E. Harry Boothby, Oct. 20, 1998.
A member of College Club, E. Harry Boothby earned an Ed.M. from the Univ. of Maine in 1952. He received an honorary LL.D. from Bates in 1969 for his “distinguished career in educational service to Maine and New England.” Following a year as teacher/coach at South Warren High School, Harry Boothby served in the U.S. Navy on a submarine tender and a submarine in the Pacific. A teacher and principal at Parsonsfield Seminary and at South Bristol High School, he was then principal over the next decade at high schools in Limestone, Easthampton, Mass., and Portsmouth, N.H. For seven years he was principal and superintendent at Whitman-Hanson (Mass.) Regional High School, then was assistant principal and head of the social science department at Sanford High School until he retired to his farm in Shapleigh in 1979. A member of Masons, Rotary, and the local planning board, “Tiny” Boothby served as town moderator and president of the New England Assn. of College and Secondary Schools, the York County Baptist Layman’s Assn., and the County Parliamentary Law Assn. He took special pleasure in his prize-winning vegetables, strawberries, and gladiolas that he shared with family and friends. In addition to Ruth, his wife of 51 years, he leaves four daughters, Sandra ’73, Carol, Kathy, and Sue; a son, Daniel; two brothers, including Daniel ’44; 12 grandsons; and nieces and nephews.

Elizabeth Puranen Bennet, May 31, 1998.
A resident of Cape Elizabeth, Elizabeth “Betsy” Puranen Bennet was a member of State Street Congregational Church in Portland. She was a volunteer for the Maine Cancer Society and Maine Medical Center. In the ’60s she was president of the local American Field Service chapter and hosted an exchange student from Cambodia. She belonged to the Nature Conservancy, the American Central Bridge League, and enjoyed bridge playing, humorous moments, sending and receiving e-mail, and time with her family and friends. Among her survivors are three daughters, Patricia, Meredith, and Nancy; and seven grandchildren. Her husband, Eben Bennet ’42, died in 1991.

Janette McCaw Willey, July 5, 1998.
For 25 years Janette McCaw Willey taught English at Walpole (Mass.) High School, retiring in 1983. After graduating from Bates, she taught English and English literature at Coventry (R.I.) High School, was an elementary teacher in Greenville, S.C., and a substitute in Danielson, Conn., and Reading, Mass. She was a member of Epiphany Episcopal Church. Mrs. Willey leaves two sons, Douglas and Bruce; a daughter, Claudia; five grandchildren; and a sister.


Tressa Braun Peabody, May 16, 1998.
A transfer from Ricker Junior College, Tressa Braun Peabody attended Bates for three years. She taught French and English at Jonesboro High School and also was in charge of girls’ gym and the glee club. After raising her children, she was a substitute teacher for 20 years at several schools including Foxcroft Academy. A member of Dover-Foxcroft Congregational Church, she was a deacon and member of the Women’s Fellowship and a past officer of Mosaic Club. She leaves a son, Mark; a daughter, Laura; four grandchildren; three great- grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews. Her husband, Herbert, whom she married in 1945, predeceased her.

Helen Mason Lachance, Feb. 4, 1998.
For many years Helen Mason Lachance was a librarian in the Framingham (Mass.) middle schools of Winch Park and Cameron. She also had worked as a technician with the mobile unit of the Boston Blood Donor Center for the American Red Cross. She enjoyed travel and her family, which included son John, daughter Jane, grandchildren Daniel and Aaron, a sister, and nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her husband, Daniel Lachance Jr.


Nancy Gould McIver, April 23, 1998.
During World War II, 2nd Lt. Nancy Gould McIver served in the Women’s Army Corps (WAC), where she was a physiotherapist at Northington Hospital, Tuscaloosa, Ala. She married James E. McIver in 1948. During the ’50s in Richmond, Va., she was a homemaker and a physical therapist at the Crippled Children’s Hospital. Later she was a case worker aide at the Univ. of Iowa Hospital. Mrs. McIver was a member of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts and the First Unitarian Church. Her children Andrew, Jeffrey, and Paula survive, as do four grandchildren and a brother, Norbert Gould ’48. Her husband, James, predeceased her.


Gard W. Twaddle, May 24, 1998.
Following a year at Bates, Gard Twaddle served in the 8th Air Force stationed in England with the 453rd Heavy Bombardment Group. He graduated from Boston Univ. in 1944. At one time president of Twaddle-Mitchell Oil Co. in Auburn, he later retired from Nutritional Resources in Georgia. His wife, Jeanne, survives him, as do three daughters, three grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren.


Oscar Rubin, July 2, 1998.
During World War II, Oscar Rubin served in the U.S. Navy and received the Purple Heart. A 34-year resident of Union, N.J., he was owner and operator of Ozzie’s Cleaners. He retired in 1989 after 28 years in the business. He belonged to Jewish War Veterans, Mount Nebo Lodge F&AM, and the Livingston (N.J.) Shrine. Survivors include his wife, Helen; two daughters, Nancy and Mindy; and three grandchildren.


Walter Beaupre, June 16, 1998.
During his 47-year career, Walter Beaupre was professor of speech pathology and audiology at the Univ. of Rhode Island for 27 years. He also had taught speech and drama at Moravian College, and was professor of speech pathology and department chair at the Univ. of Omaha in Nebraska. He earned his master’s from Lehigh Univ. in 1951 and a Ph.D. from Columbia in 1963. During a sabbatical semester he was a visiting professor at Gallaudet College. He served as a consulting audiologist for the Rhode Island School for the Deaf, as consulting director for a state program for aural rehabilitation for the elderly, and for 10 years worked with laryngectomy patients for the American Cancer Society. As an undergraduate, Walter Beaupre was an announcer and musical director at Lewiston radio station WCOU, a hobby he repeated while he was a speech instructor at Bates for a semester in 1951. He wrote reviews for Theater Organ, played introductory music concerts for campus movies at URI, and broadcast radio reminiscences. The author of articles on speech and hearing disorders, he published Gaining Cued Speech Proficiency, a textbook for alternative sign languages for the hearing impaired. In 1991 he received the Distinguished Service Award from the Rhode Island Speech and Hearing Assn. and the Faculty Member-of-the-Year Award from the Rhode Island Student Speech Language Hearing Assn. in 1988. In 1998, URI established the Walter Beaupre Excellence Award for the outstanding graduate student of communicative disorders. An ardent supporter of URI swimming and diving teams, in retirement he taught driver safety, helped the elderly explore the Internet, and put his “Confessions of a Maine Radio Announcer” on the Web. He was a member of the Narragansett Baptist Church and past president of Friends of Robert B. Hale Library. Survivors include his wife, Kathryn, whom he married in 1961, and a son, W. Laurier ’84.


Lillian Lovely Toth, June 11, 1998.
The first graduate of the five-year Bates nursing program at Central Maine General Hospital, Lillian Lovely Toth worked at Boston City Hospital for several years and then was school nurse at Abbott Academy in Andover, Mass. After moving to the Detroit area, she was on the staff of Lynn Hospital in Lincoln Park. For 17 years she worked at the Outer Drive Hospital there, retiring in 1971. Her survivors include a son, Michael; two daughters, Carol and Patricia; two brothers, David K. Lovely ’38 and Charles V. Lovely ’41; and nephews Andrew Lovely ’75 and Joseph Lovely ’89. Her husband, Joseph, predeceased her. Her parents were Eugene and Isabelle Kinkaid Lovely ’11.


John Ackerman, May 15, 1998.
After service in World War II, John Ackerman attended the Columbia School of Journalism. He was assistant Sunday editor at the New Bedford (Mass.) Times and in the ’80s he taught journalism at Southwestern Mass. Univ. The author of children’s books on railroads, he wrote numerous magazine articles, especially for Yankee, which included his “Yankee Under Steam” and “Yankees Remembered” in the magazine’s anthology. John Ackerman was a past president of the Cape Cod Bates Club and served as secretary- treasurer 1955-1969. He leaves his wife, Kathleen, and two children.


Arnold Alperstein, April 4, 1998.
magna cum laude graduate, Arnold Alperstein was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He earned his LL.B. from Columbia and was an attorney for Laporte & Meyers. In 1959 he opened his own law practice. He was co-founder, treasurer, and director of the Canovon Foundation, which leads the fight against Canovon disease. He also had been manager of the Martin Tannenbaum Fund. Among his survivors are his children, Leigh, Cory Ann, and Orren Jane. His wife, Eileen, predeceased him in 1995.


Kenneth H. Tufts, May 14, 1998.
Kenneth Tufts served in the U.S. Navy from 1943 to 1946 during World War II, and then attended Bates. Working at the Bureau of Mental Health and Retardation, he made special equipment for the handicapped, retiring in 1990. His hobbies included sports, boating, fishing, gardening, and working on his woodlots. Kenneth Tufts was a member of American Tree Farm System, Maine State Emoployees Assn., American Legion, VFW, and DAV. He leaves his wife, Barbara; two daughters, Judy and Sue; two sons, William and David; eight grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; a sister and a brother. A daughter, Cathy, died in 1956 and a brother, Richard, in 1995.


Wayne W. Finegar, June 20, 1998.
Following his retirement in 1993 as director of the Office of Retirement Statistics of the Social Security Administration, Wayne Finegar divided his time between his home in Sandy Spring, Md., and Winnipeg Beach, Manitoba, Canada. Earlier he had been a computer programmer in Washington, D.C., for the former Wolf Research Co. Among his survivors are a son, Wayne II; a daughter, Janet; and his companion, Jane Hoogstraten.

Nancy Lofsted Clayton, Nov. 7, 1998.
A member of the College Key, Nancy Lofsted Clayton was an active member of her class, serving on several committees. For many years a high school librarian in Billerica, Mass., she also had worked previously in the Winchester Public Library. In 1971 Nancy Clayton earned her M.L.S. degree from Simmons College. After retirement she and her husband, Ronald ’53, moved to Brunswick in 1989. A native of Brattleboro, Vt., she was a member of the First Congregational Church of West Brattleboro and belonged to the Massachusetts School Librarians Assn. She enjoyed her family, reading, and travel. Survivors include her husband of 45 years; two daughters, Leslie ’79 and Jan Ellen; a son, Jeffrey; four grandchildren; and her mother, Ellen Lofsted.


Mary Ellen Bailey Weatherbee, Aug. 31, 1998.
Elected to Phi Beta Kappa and Delta Sigma Rho, Mary Ellen Weatherbee graduated magna cum laude with a major in government. She and her husband, Donald ’54, had lived in Washington, D.C., until 1960, when they spent several years in Indonesia and a year in the Netherlands. Mary Ellen studied the Indonesian language in Bangkok and shared with her husband work in worldwide governmental and private assistance programs. Most recently they had lived in Columbia, S.C. She leaves her husband; two sons, Donald and Oliver; three daughters, Mercy, Thais, and Amy; and seven grandchildren.


Sandra Lelyveld Marill, Aug. 19, 1998.
Sandra Lelyveld Marill attended Katharine Gibbs Secretarial School and worked as a secretary at MIT and for the law firm of Nichols, Norton and Zalstrom in Boston. For 16 years she was a librarian at Fairleigh Dickinson Univ. in Teaneck, N.J. At one time Sandra Marill taught remedial reading as a volunteer teacher in Hollis, N.Y., and she had earned paralegal certification from Bergen Community College. Among her survivors are her husband, Alvin; a son, Steven; and uncles Ed ’34 and Mark Lelyveld ’40. She was predeceased by a son, James.


Richard V. Bryant, Oct. 15, 1998.
At the time of his death in Kobe, Dick Bryant had lived for almost four decades as an expatriate in Japan. A simple Maine country boy in his own eyes, he transformed himself into a cosmopolitan traveler, fluent in four or more languages, with a legion of friends on six continents. His encyclopedic grasp of things Japanese ranged from 14th-century feminist writers to the reigning sumo champions. An English major at Bates, he retained a lifelong love affair with his native tongue, sending annual greetings to friends on Shakespeare’s birthday. Most of his campus contemporaries will recall him as the ubiquitous photographer from the College’s news bureau. After Bates, he served two years in the U.S. Army in Korea and then taught high school in northern Maine. In late 1960, he went to Japan as an English instructor and translator for Toho Sangyo Limited, an international distributor of industrial fasteners. In 1973, he realized his dream of work in commercial photography, joining Minolta Camera Co. in Osaka. Within two years, Dick created Minolta Mirror, an international magazine of photography. He had conceived the Mirror as a showcase for world-class photographers who used Minolta cameras. Starting in 1975, and in each year after that until he retired, Dick spent two months in travel around the world to collect material for the following year’s edition. His editorial office was a one-man shop. He was editor, writer, designer and whatever else was necessary to prepare his annual creation for publication. He and Minolta received numerous international awards for excellence in publishing over the years. In all, Dick produced 19 editions of what one critic called “the most beautiful photography magazines ever.” Dick retired in early 1994. He is survived by his wife of 32 years, Yoko Maruo Bryant; two daughters, Mari (Bates ’89) and Michi; and his mother.


Anthony P. Parrinello, July 17, 1998.
In 1961 Anthony Parrinello received his M.D. from Seton Hall and was a diplomate of the American Board of International Medicine. In 1965 at the New Jersey College of Medicine, he was clinical instructor and director of medical education. He became assistant director of medicine and director of residency training program at the Brooklyn and Queens Catholic Medical Center in 1969. And in 1974, Dr. Parrinello was director and coordinator of medicine at Mary Immaculate Hospital of Jamaica, N.Y. Most recently he had retired as president and chief executive officer of the Kennedy Medical Offices. Among his survivors are two daughters, Dina and Eliana; and two sons, Paul and Stephen.


Edward A. Stewart Jr. , Aug. 4, 1998.
After he served in the Korean conflict as a cryptographer in the U.S. Air Force, Edward Stewart attended Bates and Boston Univ. For many years he was a nuclear medicine technician and established the first nuclear medicine departments in New England and Bermuda hospitals. Edward Stewart loved gardening and walking his schnauzers around Rockport, Mass. He leaves his wife of 32 years, Judith; and three daughters, Tracy, Gillian, and Erin.


Donald M. Hunter, Aug. 18, 1998.
During World War II, Donald Hunter served in the U.S. Air Force. He attended Bates from 1956 to 1958. A manufacturers’ representative in the Worcester (Mass.) County area, earlier he had lived in Leominster. He leaves two daughters, Susan and Janet; two grandchildren; three brothers; and nieces and nephews.

Judith Sternbach Fingado, May 17, 1998.
For several years after se graduated, Judith Sternbach Fingado worked at Time Inc. in New York City, first in personnel records, then as secretary to the general manager. She taught in Troy Elementary School in Joliet, Ill., then returned to the New York City area, where she was an associate programmer at IBM, retiring in 1976. Her last position was as secretary in the East Ridge (Conn.) Middle School in the ’80s. A resident of Ridgefield, Conn., Judith Fingado was an officer in the Woman’s Club, an active volunteer with the Bloodmobile, and had paricipated in her young children’s soccer club. Her main interests were caring for her family, as well as cooking, gardening, and especially taking worldwide cruises with her husband and children. Among her survivors are Roger, her husband of 27 years; a daughter, Lucinda; three sons, Gustav, John, David; and two granddaughters.


James D. Nye, May 20, 1998.
James Nye began his career as a social studies teacher for six years at Bristol, Conn., schools and earned his M.Ed. at Central Connecticut State Univ. In 1968 he joined Nye Insurance Agency in Bristol and was owner and operator until he retired in 1991. Active in the community, he belonged to Lions Club, was a corporator of Bristol Hospital and a volunteer for the United Way volunteer, and served as president of the local Assn. of Independent Insurance Agents and the Forestville Business Men’s Assn. In 1977 James Nye received the Forestville Citizen of the Year Award. A member of Immanuel Lutheran Church, he was a deacon and member of the Christian Board of Education. He belonged to the Chippanee Golf Club, was an ardent drummer, and enjoyed time on Cape Cod. He had been president of the Hartford Bates Club and served as class agent. Among his survivors are his wife, Barbara; three sons, David, Thomas, and Peter; two grandchildren; and two brothers and a sister.


Virginia Bateman Shewell, Aug. 7, 1998.
After she graduated from Bates, Virginia Bateman Shewell took education courses at Framingham (Mass.) State College and taught in elementary school. She married Samuel Shewell ’63 in 1965 and was a homemaker and mother and worked as secretary at York College of Pennsylvania. Later she taught third grade at York County Country Day School. From 1983 to 1993, “Ginny” Shewell was an administrative assistant at Susquehanna Pfaltzgraff. She was a former member of the Young Woman’s Club of York and enjoyed playing bridge. Her husband survives as do daughters Susan and Lynne, four grandchildren, and a brother.


Jane Skinner Huycke, July 29, 1998.
Jane Skinner Huycke and her family lived in Anchorage, Alaska, since 1969 where they all enjoyed recreational fishing and sailing. Jane was an accountant in the family-owned Huycke General Agency insurance company. Before joining the company, she had her own typing service. Her survivors include her husband, Peter ’62; a son, David; a daughter, Sharon; two grandsons and a granddaughter.


James W. Stratton, May 30, 1998.
Dr. James Stratton received his M.D. from Albany Medical Center in 1973 and served in Vietnam. For several years he was chief resident of surgery at the Army Medical Center in Hawaii and was clinical instructor in surgery at the Univ. of Hawaii Medical College. After a year at the U.S. Army Hospital in Nuremberg, Germany, Dr. Stratton was chief of surgery at a U.S. Army Hospita and a volunteer medical support officer at the Navajo Nation in Arizona and New Mexico. In recent years he was a surgeon in private practice, was director of Colon and Rectal Clinic at UMass Medical Center, assistant professor of surgery at the university’s medical school, and trustee and surgical director of Worcester Surgical Assn. Among several local and national professional organizations, he also belonged to the American Assn. of the History of Medicine, Physicians for Social Responsibility, and was a fellow of American College of Surgeons. He wrote articles for Surgery and American Family Physician and was editor of theOstomy Quarterly. He leaves is wife of 25 years, Moira; a son, Peter; a daughter, Emma; and his parents, Charles ’40 and Marita Dick Stratton ’39.


Martha Joseph Johnson, July 5, 1998.
Martha Joseph Johnson, who died in a kayaking accident, had been an outdoor sports enthusiast throughout her life. She was a social worker with a master’s from Catholic Univ. School of Social Work. She had served on the board of an Alternative House Runaway Center, worked with teens in a mental hospital, at a shelter for battered women and their partners, and with a youth suicide prevention program in the Washington, D.C., area. As a community development specialist there, she gave technical assistance to a grassroots group as an advocate for tenants’ rights. In 1990 she directed a senior center in San Diego, worked in a substance abuse program in El Cajon. Most recently Martha had lived on a ranch in Alpine with her husband, Kirby, whom she married in 1993. He survives her, as do a son, Ben, and stepchildren Chris, Susie, and Beth.


Emily E. Dorrance, Oct. 5, 1998.
A young woman with a deep concern for others, Emily E. Dorrance died from complications of cancer. Shortly after graduation, she went to Malawi, Africa, with a group of Sunnyside Presbyterian Church members to help dedicate a modern health clinic for impoverished villagers, which was chiefly funded by her family and named for her grandfather, H. Parker Sharp. Planning to be an elementary school teacher and to work with inner-city children, she had begun graduate work at Harvard. During a summer at sea, when the ship docked at Calcutta, she witnessed the poverty there and visited Mother Teresa. In 1996, she worked with Crosstrainers, a summer church program in the Hill District of Pittsburgh, in which college students lived in the community and ran day camps for kids. Emily graduated from Winchester Thurston School in Shadyside, Pa., where she lobbied successfully for the creation of a crew program. She brought her enthusiasm for rowing to Bates and was a varsity member of crew for three years, a club sport generously supported by her parents. Emily’s courage, sense of humor, and fighting spirit were “an incredible inspiration,” her father said. She leaves her parents, Susan and Roy Dorrance; two sisters, Abigail and Molly; and her grandmothers, Emily Sharp and Beatrice Dorrance.

Former Faculty

Pei-Chih Hsieh, June 1997.
Pei-Chih Hsieh was a visiting instructor in history for the academic years 1964-1965 and 1965-1966. He taught courses in modern Chinese history and Far Eastern civilizations.


Mildred T. Tewhey, Oct. 18, 1998.
Mildred T. Tewhey worked in the development and registrar’s offices prior to serving as secretary to Dean of the College James Carignan ’61 for 20 years. In a memorial tribute prepared by Dean Carignan, he wrote, “The words loyalty and devotion must have been invented to describe Millie’s attitude toward her work. She was tireless. To use an old fashioned concept, she was a woman of character. As a single mom, she took great pride in her children and the fact that they all received professional status. She set high standards for her children, herself and those around her. She was a thoroughly professional person, undaunted by even the most challenging tasks. Her son, Jim, caught her spirit when he eulogized her: ‘People thought Jim Carignan was dean of the College all those years, but we all know that my mom was the real dean.’ Countless students over the years know the truth in that statement. Millie always had a sympathetic ear for students, and she was equally ready to cast one of her ‘eye-rolling’ glances of disapproval when she thought it warranted. As one observer who knew her said, ‘Millie Tewhey represented what Bates stands for: friendly, caring, always willing to help.’ She also set the bar high for herself and others.” She is survived by two sons, James and Thomas; a daughter, Judith, nine grandchildren; as well as two sisters and a brother.

Thelma Small Young, Oct. 17, 1998.
Following her 1924 graduation from Nasson College, Thelma Small Young was employed by the state of Maine extension service until her 1926 marriage to the Ernest Small ’15. After his death, she married Harold Young in 1980, who died four years later. A loyal and enthusiastic honorary member of the Class of 1915, Thelma Young was a strong supporter of the College throughout her life. She was active and served as an officer in many local organizations including YWCA, Girl Scout Council, Salvation Army Board, Stanton Bird Club, and Art and Literature Club. She was a long-time member of the Lewiston United Baptist Church and the Nasson College Alumni Assn. Her friendly, outgoing personality won her many friends in the Lewiston-Auburn community. She leaves three daughters, Janet S. Sheldrake, Suzanne S. Shanahan, and Patricia S. Skilling ’54; and 10 grandchildren, including Sarah Adams Sheldrake ’71, Katharine Skilling Chapin ’80, and Christopher Skilling ’82.

The following deaths recently have become known to the College:

Helen Clark Renwick, May 25, 1998.

Marion Chaffin Bergmann, Feb. 24, 1998.

Lucia Stoddard Cushman, Oct. 30, 1998.

Edna Douglass Frye, Sept. 2, 1998.

Helen G. McCaughey, Nov. 4, 1998.

Elmer L. Mitchell, Nov. 1, 1998.
Clarence E. Sampson, Sept. 25, 1998.

Gray W. Adams, March 24, 1998.
Elizabeth Durrell Field, Nov. 13, 1998.
Carroll B. Freeman, July 22, 1998.

Lois McCleary Schiorring, Oct. 9, 1998. 1943
Ernest H. Bishop III, Sept. 23, 1998.
Murray Levine, Nov. 16, 1998.

Ruth Asker Wilbur, Nov. 16, 1998.

David E. Chase, Nov. 7, 1998.

Daniel M. Young, Nov. 8, 1998.

Robert W. Fischer III, Dec. 21, 1998.

Bates values a diverse College community. Moreover, Bates does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, age, or disability in the recruitment and admission of its students, in the administration of its educational policies and programs, or in the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff.