Helen Clark Renwick, Feb. 24, 1998.
Following her graduation from Bates, Helen Clark Renwick taught in the high schools of Bridgton and Littleton, Mass. In 1920 she married classmate Erle B. Renwick, known for his talent as a soloist. Over the years they lived in Connecticut, Virginia, Portland, and Bolsters Mills, and she retired to St. Petersburg, Fla. Her son, Robert ’52, wrote that “although nearly blind and quite deaf, she kept up with the Boston Red Sox and was an avid baseball fan. She also completed puzzles in the daily paper.” Among her survivors are sons Robert and Erle Jr., daughters Dorothy and Jean, and 13 grandchildren. Her husband predeceased her in 1972.
Frances Minot Tillson, March 16, 1999.
Frances Minot Tillson taught at Madison High School for two years after she graduated, then was a teacher and dean of girls at Maine Central Institute in Pittsfield. When she married Stanley C. Tillson ’23 in 1926 they moved to New York, later to Pennsylvania and Maryland. After their children were grown, from 1955 to 1972 she taught English in Maryland at Bel Air High School and at Darlington Junior High School. The Tillsons retired to Brockport, N.Y., to care for son David ’49, ill with multiple sclerosis. Frances Tillson drove to her 50th and 60th Bates reunions, retiring to Florida and later moving to Durango, Colo., to be near a daughter. Among her activities, she had been a reading volunteer for seventh graders and volunteer at a local nursing home. Survivors include daughters Mary and Marjorie, son Minot, 10 grandchildren, and 10 great-grandchildren. She was predeceased by her husband in 1969 and son David in 1977.
Marion Chaffin Bergmann, Feb. 24, 1998.
A native of Auburn, Marion Chaffin Bergmann taught school in the Avoca (N.Y.) High School after graduating from Bates. A homemaker, she had lived in New Haven and for 24 years in Guilford, Conn. Most recently she made her home in Attleboro and in Rehoboth, Mass., with her daughter, Nancy Bergmann Bump ’53. She and her husband, the late Henry Bergmann, had been married for 67 years at the time of his death in 1992. Survivors include her daughter, son Henry, six grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren.
Alma True Tripp, July 14, 1999.
Alma True Tripp attended Bates from 1920 to 1923. For 10 summers she worked at the Poland Spring Inn. Following her 1923 marriage to Leon E. Tripp, she assisted in the family business making postcards and was a telephone operator in New Gloucester, her hometown. From 1928 to 1930 she taught school at Crescent Lake. She leaves daughter Carolyn, three grandchildren, five great-grandchildren and a great-great- grandson. Her husband died in 1958. She was the daughter of Elbert and Mabel Garcelon True 1888.
Deborah A. Young, Jan. 15, 1999.
An English major, Deborah A. Young taught high school English first in Canton, then in Natick and Malden, Mass. She retired in 1965 after 43 years of teaching. She spent summers in York Beach and winters in Florida. A member of the York Union Congregational Church, she traveled extensively in the United States and Europe and was an enthusiastic reader and crossword puzzle solver. She leaves two nieces, two grandnephews, and a grandniece.
Reginald H. Haskins, June 18, 1999.
A Lubec native, Reginald Haskins was a lifetime educator. He was principal of high schools in Steuben and Winter Harbor until 1940 when he became superintendent of schools for Union 96 (Gouldsboro, Winter Harbor, Sullivan) and in Sorrento. He retired in 1966 to enjoy life in Sorrento Harbor, and owned the Sorrento Inn for several years. An ardent fan of UMaine-Orono baseball, he also enjoyed sailing and gardening. Following graduation Reginald Haskins worked with S.S. Kresge Co. in New Rochelle and Schenectady, N.Y. His wife of 60 years, Helen, survives as do sons Sturgis and Jeffrey, daughters Stephanie and Heidi, seven grandchildren, six great-grandchildren, and a sister, nieces, and nephews. He was predeceased by a twin brother, Rupert, and sister Nettie Haskins Reid ’27.
Arline Bickford Mills, July 3, 1999.
A social worker and teacher, Arline Bickford Mills was with the Maine child welfare Department of Health and Welfare for 13 years. In 1952 she taught English and languages at Sabattus High School; in 1956 she became librarian and English teacher at Lewiston High School. She also taught English at Jordan Junior High School and retired in 1971 to live in Auburn, Florida, and Harpswell. After graduation she worked for the Lewiston Daily Sun in the state news department. Arline Bickford Mills was a member of High Street Congregational Church, Lewiston Grange, secretary of the Maine Congress of Parents and Teachers. She leaves daughter Diana, granddaughter Carolyn, and nieces and nephews. Her husband, Gordon, whom she married in 1935, predeceased her in 1988.
Mark S. Rand, May 12, 1999.
Educator Mark S. Rand earned his master’s in education from the Univ. of Massachusetts. After graduation he taught history at Warren (Mass.) High School. Then from 1938 to 1978 he headed the history department and coached debating at Northampton High School, retiring in 1978. At both Warren and Northampton he coached winning state championship teams and later introduced debating to Smith College students, who never lost a debate. From 1952 to 1953 he was a Ford Foundation Fellow, visiting high schools and universities across the United States. In the 1960s Mark Rand was principal of the new Smith-Northampton Summer High School. He served as president of the area Interscholastic League, was a member of the state committee of the National Forensic League, and, in 1961, received the Outstanding Educator of the Year award from the Junior Chamber of Commerce. A member of local, state, and national educational organizations, he had been a Boy Scout leader, member of Kiwanis and the Florence Congregational Church, and founder-leader of the Florence (Mass.) Extemp Club. “He was a proud and supportive alumnus,” wrote daughter Ginger. She survives, as do his son Mark, daughters Barbara and Constance, 10 grandchildren, 13 great-grandchildren, and brother John. He was predeceased by his wife of 46 years, Naomi Burdon Rand ’28, brother Willard ’34, brother-in-law Harold Burdon ’23, and sister-in-law Ruth Burdon McGown ’23.
Jacob J. Immonen, April 18, 1999.
A Maine native of Finnish descent, Jacob Immonen managed consumer cooperative businesses in Massachusetts and New Hampshire for 24 years. In 1943 he joined the Army Air Corps and received specialized training in Finnish at the University of Michigan, serving in the infantry until 1946. He managed a cooperative store in Gardner, Mass., then returned to West Paris to manage the family pulpwood business for 20 years. He was elected to the Maine state Legislature for seven terms, serving on transportation, taxation, welfare, and other committees. A member of the local school board for five years, he also was a selectman, assessor, and member of Chamber of Commerce, American Legion, AF &;AM, and the West Paris Historical Society. Jacob Immonen was a founding member of the Finnish-American Heritage Society of Maine and active in the Mission (Finnish) Congregational Church, often sharing his knowledge of the local Finnish community and its roots. His wife of 44 years, Barbara, survives as do son Lauri, daughter Susanna, and several cousins, including Virginia McKeen DiCrocco ’51. His uncle was the late John McKeen ’18.
Helen Sanders Norrby, July 29, 1999.
After graduating from Bates, Helen Sanders Norrby was a technician in the pathology laboratory at Palmer Memorial Hospital of New England Deaconess Hospital. She married Clarence Norrby and became a homemaker. A Campfire Girls leader, Helen Norrby was a church deaconess and Sunday school teacher, a library volunteer, and corresponding secretary of the Field and Forest Club. She was interested in crafts and taught her hobby at nursing homes. She was a member of Greenwood Union Church of Wakefield, Mass., and attended the Big Spring Presbyterian Church in Newville, Pa., where she lived. Among her survivors are sisters Irene, Winifred ’29, and Phyllis ’37, as well as cousins, nieces, and nephews. Her husband died in 1985. Her father was John L. Sanders, Cobb 1897.
Bateston F. Stoddard, May 4, 1999.
A cum laude graduate with honors in math, Lewiston native Bateston Stoddard earned his LL.D. from John Marshall Law School in New York. He worked at Bell Labs for 44 years and was head of the patent department and a registered patent attorney, retiring in 1976. A member of the New York bar, he had been a member of the 2nd U.S. Court of Appeals for customs and patents. In the 1930s he was an officer in the Bates Men’s Club. Bateston Stoddard was active in stamp clubs worldwide and a founder of the East Shore Assn. at Taylor Pond, Auburn. Among his survivors are daughters Patricia and Susan, sons Bateston Jr. and John, five grandchildren, and brother Samuel Jr. ’43.
Reid S. Appleby, Dec. 21, 1998.
During his three years at Bates, Reid Appleby was captain of the football team. He first worked for Bird &;Son in Walpole, Mass., then was a supervisor and inspector for the A&P;grocery chain. When he retired in 1969 he had been vice president of A&P;for 15 years, covering 116 stores throughout New England. A Mason and Kora Temple Shrine member, he received their 50-year pins and was inducted into the Skowhegan Sports Hall of Fame as a three-sport star. Among his survivors are his wife, Gladys, daughter Carol, son Reid, four grandchildren, six great-grandchildren, and nieces and nephews.
Aurie Balch Hudson, Feb. 2, 1999.
A native of Kennebunk, Aurie Balch Hudson graduated with honors in German. She taught in Buxton High School prior to her marriage in 1931 to Kenneth Hudson ’28, whose work took them to live in many places from Massachusetts to California, and finally in Ottumwa, Iowa. A homemaker, she was also an active member of the communities in which she lived through church work, Mothers Club, AAUW, and Eastern Star. She had been vice president of the Northern Virginia Chapter of the Assn. of Workers for the Blind and never allowed blindness to prevent her from living a full and active life. A member of the First Presbyterian Church of Ottumwa, the Blind Bowlers Assn., Visually Impaired Support Group, she had recently received the Governor’s Volunteer Award. She and her husband regularly attended the Southwest Florida Bates Club in the early 1980s. Her survivors include daughters Mary H. Roby ’58, Barbara H. Fuson ’63, Sara H. Sels, Martha H. Silverberg, and Susan H. Frost, 15 grandchildren, five great-grandchildren, and a sister. She was predeceased by her husband in 1995, son Charles, a grandson, and sister-in-law Helen Hudson Nassau ’29.
Beth Clark Edmonds, Aug. 30, 1999.
For 20 years Beth Clark Edmonds taught language in the Massachusetts high schools of Hopkinton and Winchester and in Dover, N.H. She also taught language at Berwick Academy and in South Berwick. A member of Berwick United Methodist Church, she was past worthy matron of Eastern Star. She married Raymond Edmonds in 1949. Among her survivors are stepson A. Raymond Edmonds, 10 grandchildren, and several great-grandchildren. Her father was the late Chester W.N. Clark 1901 and her maternal uncle was George W. Crook ’15.
Frances Johnson Haskell, Aug. 24, 1999.
A member of Phi Beta Kappa and The Bates Key, at one time Frances Johnson Haskell served as class secretary and was an officer of the Portland Alumnae Club. During her professional life she was on the staff of the Portland YWCA as teen-age director and as young adult director. She also worked part time on a Portland survey for the U.S. Department of Labor. She was a member of the Stroudwater Baptist Church where she taught Christian education and was an officer in the Women’s Guild. Surviving are daughter Martha, son Philip, six grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren. Her husband of 56 years, Kenneth, predeceased her in 1992.
Joan LaChance, June 9, 1999.
During her 30-year career with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Joan LaChance worked for the Department of Justice in Washington, D.C., where she was a censor of French and Spanish telegrams there and in the Boston office. After she retired in 1973, she was an active volunteer especially in her work with the blind at Harvard Univ. She also traveled extensively within the United States, Great Britain, and Europe. As an undergraduate, Joan LaChance was a soprano soloist and violinist, interests she maintained throughout her life. She attended concerts at Harvard’s Amadeus Theater and at Boston Symphony Hall. She was a member of the Harvard Fogg Museum, the Society of FBI alumni, and St. Paul’s Church in Cambridge. In the early days of her career she had worked in the photographic department of Jordan-Marsh and at Brooklyn’s Public Library School. Among her survivors are many nieces and nephews, and she was predeceased by four sisters and three brothers.
Gertrude Trecartin Widerkrantz, April 2, 1999.
Lubec native Gertrude Trecartin Widerkrantz taught in Norridgewock after graduation. She earned her master’s at Trinity College (Conn.) in 1953 and also took courses later at Wesleyan, St. Joseph College, and the Univ. of Connecticut. She taught for over 30 years in Hartford, Conn., schools including Bulkeley High School. A member of local, state, and national professional organizations, she was a member of Delta Kappa Gamma, the Hartford Dames, and the Women’s Club. She was also senior deaconess at Immanuel Congregational Church. After her retirement in 1976, she moved to Madison, Wis.
Harriet Manser Goudet, Feb. 22, 1999.
Following her graduation, Harriet Manser Goudet taught English and coached at Montpelier (Vt.) Seminary, then at Buckfield High School. In the ’40s and early ’50s she taught English in the Biddeford-Saco area. She moved to Framingham, Mass., in 1956 and taught in the high school at Natick and at South Middlesex Secretarial School. She retired in 1969 and moved to Florida with husband Richard. Mrs. Goudet enjoyed golf and bowling and was happy to attend her 55th Bates Reunion in 1986. Her husband survives, as do daughter Patricia, four grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren. She was predeceased by sisters Doris Manser Gould ’22 and Marjorie Manser MacInnes ’24. Her by parents were the Hon. and Mrs. Harry H. Manser LL.D. ’19.
Dorothy Stiles Blankfort, Dec. 26, 1998.
Elected to Phi Beta Kappa and The Bates Key, Dorothy Stiles Blankfort earned her M.A. at Cornell in 1942 and also studied at the Sorbonne. Following graduation she taught at Winthrop (Mass.) High School and was a teacher and drama coach at The George School, Pa. Her interest in theater took her to California, where she was a script writer in Hollywood and assistant to the head of the literary department at Sam Jaffe Agency. With husband Michael she co-authored a mystery play, Monique, filmed in France during the summer of 1956 and a hit on Broadway the next year. Among other college inaugurations at which she represented Bates was that of Samuel B. Gould ’30, LL.D. ’57 as chancellor of UC-Santa Barbara. An active and supportive alumna, she served as president of the Southern California Bates Club, and the Bates College Museum of Art’s collection is enhanced by gifts of the Blankforts, including works by Marin, Nevelson, and Welliver. During her college years she made her home with Professor George Ramsdell and his wife, and remained close to them over the years. She leaves stepdaughters Susan and Ellen and was predeceased by her husband in 1982.
Hazel Wakefield Lowell Holt, May 7, 1999.
Hazel Wakefield Lowell Holt taught English and history at Morse High School in Bath for 23 years and at the Hyde School for eight years. In the 1960s she was a private tutor, returning to teach math at Bath Junior High School for 12 years after the death of her husband, Edwin H.P. Lowell, in 1965. Well known as a caring teacher, Mrs. Holt voluntarily tutored children with their school work. She retired in 1977 and was a member of local, state, and national educational associations, the Retired Teachers Assn., and Grace Episcopal Church. In 1987 she married classmate Ernest K. Holt, who predeceased her in 1997.
Charles F. Flaherty Sr., April 12, 1999.
Following a year at Bates, Charles Flaherty played baseball in the Pacific Coast League. He then helped run the family business at the East Dennis (Mass.) General Store. He was postmaster until World War II, when he worked at the Fore River and Hingham shipyards. After the war he was a union carpenter until retirement. A former member of Mattapan Knights of Columbus, he was a life member of the Adams Heights Men’s Club in Quincy and belonged to the local carpenters union. Three sons, Dennis, Kevin, and Charles, survive, as do seven grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. He was predeceased by his wife, Helen.
Dorothy Fuge Mallard, June 24, 1999.
Since 1983 Dorothy Fuge Mallard had made her home in Suffield, Conn., where she was active in the local Garden Club and the Women’s Club of Enfield. She leaves daughters Pamela and Marie, son Michael, three grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.
Martin C. Hubbard, Oct. 22, 1998.
Martin Hubbard was a French major at Bates and member of Phi Sigma Iota. At Harvard he earned both a B.Ed. in 1933 and an M.A. in 1940. He was a substitute teacher in Washington, D.C., then taught at Kimball Union in New Hampshire. For 16 years he taught French and Spanish at Noble and Greenough School. In 1957 Mr. Hubbard became reference librarian at UMass-Amherst, then was a document librarian there for 16 years. Prior to his retirement in 1976 he had been advertising manager for a real estate agency.
Franklin S. Berkover, Dec. 30, 1998.
A graduate of Northeastern Law School, Franklin Berkover served in World War II. He was co-founder of Delmar Photo Services in Wilmington, Del., and served as chairman for 45 years. Prior to World War II he had been general counsel and operations manager of Geo-Physical Instrument Co. in Washington, D.C. He was a member of the Massachusetts bar as well as Congregation Beth Shalom and its Men’s Club in Wilmington. Semiretired in 1981, he retired fully in 1993. Among his survivors are son Michael, daughter Linda, and five grandchildren. His wife, Frances, predeceased him in 1997.
Constance Conant Hanson, Feb. 24, 1999.
A cum laude graduate, Constance Conant Hanson was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. She took a secretarial course at Burdett College, where she also served as secretary to the personnel director. For many years she was a secretary at the First Baptist Church, Providence, R.I., then served as executive secretary to Ellis J. Holt, the executive minister of the American Baptist Churches of Massachusetts (TABCOM). Retiring in 1979, she continued to work part time at Foundations, the Baptist Journal of History and Theology at TABCOM, and she chaired the organizations’s Historical Records Task Force. She is survived by daughter Elaine H. Olden ’60, son Hamilton, and five grandchildren.
Helen Crowley Andrews, June 30, 1999.
Helen Crowley Andrews was a homemaker and an involved citizen in the Lewiston-Auburn area. She served as class secretary from 1958 to 1963 and as a director of the Androscoggin Valley Bates Club. At one time she was secretary to D. Robert Smith, director of music at Bates. Her duties included hosting visiting artists-in-residence from other countries. For many years she was active in the Community Little Theater, served as a corporator of Auburn Public Library, and was a delegate to the Women’s Legislative Council of Maine. She and her husband, Warren Andrews, were charter members of the Taylor Pond Yacht Club, where she taught swimming and sailing and was the club’s librarian. Helen Andrews wrote several books, including Harry and I, about her experiences as a volunteer sailing instructor, as well as a history of Taylor Pond. She was a member of High Street Congregational Church and the Women’s Literary Union. In addition to her husband of 60 years, she leaves daughters Judith and Jane and was predeceased by daughter Marilyn and brother John H. III.
J. Frederick Donald, Aug. 22, 1999.
A native of Houlton, J. Frederick Donald was a banker there for 40 years. Following a year at Occidental in California, he transferred to Bates and later attended the Graduate School of Banking. During World War II he served with the 88th Division of the U.S. Army. Returning to Houlton, he was an officer in the First National Bank, now Key Bank, retiring in 1974. In his hometown, Mr. Donald was a former member of the Aroostook County Bates Club, was on the boards of Houlton Water Co., the finance committee of the Regional Hospital, and the County Bankers Assn. He served as treasurer of the Unitarian Church and was past president of Lions Club. He spent many happy hours at his 200-acre camp, “rusticating at his own Walden,” he wrote. He is survived by son J. Frederick II, daughter Mary, five grandchildren, and three great-grandchildren. His wife, Eleanor, predeceased him in 1960.
Robert A. Johnson Sr., May 12, 1999.
Robert Johnson earned his M.D. at Tufts Univ. Medical School in 1937, studying also at Seton Hall Univ. and Albert Einstein Medical College. He interned at Harlem Hospital and in the ’40s received citations from presidents Roosevelt and Truman for his work as an examiner for the Newark (N.J.) Draft Board. For 50 years he practiced medicine in Newark, where he was chief of obstetrics at the former community hospital. He also served on the staffs of Beth Israel and St. Michael’s medical centers and at the Presbyterian Hospital. In 1972 at New Jersey College of Medicine, Dr. Johnson was associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology and medical director of the maternal and infant care project. Then semiretired, he was director of employee health at United Hospitals of Newark. After he retired in 1982, he maintained a part-time practice in the spring and summer and traveled to East Asia, the Middle East, and Scandinavia. A member of local, state, and national medical associations, he served on the Bloomfield Council of Human Relations, Newark Citizens’ Housing Committee, and on the board of Essex County Legal Aid Society. He belonged to the Civil Defense Corps, the Roseville YMCA and YWCA, and the Lions Club. From 1958 to 1973 he was president of the Bates Class of 1933. He leaves his wife, Helen, son Robert Jr., daughter Karen, and three grandchildren.
Florence Merry Duty, June 30, 1999.
Florence Merry Duty was a member of The Bates Key. For several years she was a buyer at B. Peck Co. in Lewiston. She then taught reading and language arts at Walton Junior High School, as well as Latin and history at Central School. She retired in 1972. A member of Lewiston United Baptist Church, the Auburn Art Club, the Women’s Literary Union, and the Women’s Legislative Council of Maine, she also belonged to local and national educational associations. Florence Duty enjoyed reading and bridge and activities with family and friends. She is survived by daughter Janet D. Stanhope, son-in-law Frank Schmidt Sr., and three grandchildren. A daughter, Kathryn M. Schmidt predeceased her in 1990.
Joseph W. Warren, May 25, 1999.
Joseph Warren attended the former Westbrook Seminary and Bates. A native of Limington, he served with the U.S. Army Air Force 57th Fighter Group in the North Africa Campaign. After he retired from the Air Force, he worked at Farrar-Brown in Portland and Rumford, then spent 30 years in the St. Petersburg, Fla., area, returning to Maine in 1987. He was a 50-year member of Buxton Masonic Lodge. Surviving are his wife, the former Alice Cousins, whom he married in 1987, stepson Nathaniel, and a nephew, Dwain Libby.
Nancy Crockett Morris, July 10, 1999.
Trustee emerita Nancy Crockett Morris served on the Board of Overseers from 1956 to 1959 and on the Board of Fellows from 1973 to 1987. She was a member of The Bates Key, a class agent, and a Reunion Gift Committee chair. During World War II she served in the Navy WAVES on Casco Bay. A Mayflower descendant, throughout her life Nancy Morris served numerous community organizations including the Cancer, Heart, and United funds, on boards of the Salvation Army, the Episcopal Hospital, the Bryn Mawr Hospital Thrift Shop, the Commonwealth Board of the Women’s Medical College of Philadelphia. In that area she also belonged to the Acorn and Sedgley clubs, the Needlework Guild, area country clubs, and the Merion Cricket Club. In 1947 she married Theodore H. Morris II who died in 1996.
Almus M. Thorp, Jan. 20, 1999.
A member of College Club, the Rev. Almus M. Thorp, L.H.D. ’64, earned his B.D. at Cambridge Episcopal Theological School. In Ohio he had served as curate at Trinity Church in Columbus and as rector of St. Stephen Episcopal Church, as well as chaplain at Ohio State Univ. In 1959 he became dean of Bexley Hall Seminary of Kenyon College, later holding a similar position at Bexley Hall in Rochester, N.Y. He also had been executive director of the Board for Theological Education of the Episcopal Church. After retiring in 1977, he was a part-time counselor in the Rochester Diocese and a visiting fellow at University of the South. He kept in touch with Bates and worked on the Annual Alumni Fund. As an undergraduate, “Al” Thorp was a member of The Bates Trio, a popular group that performed at many College functions. He was the pianist with violinist Norman DeMarco and cellist Clyde Holbrook. His wife, Merriel, survives as do sons Almus Jr., Peter, and Jeremy, and daughter Merriel. His sister is Millicent Thorp Pendleton ’37.
Beulah Worthley Hoepner, April 9, 1999.
A native of Auburn, Beulah Worthley Hoepner majored in Latin and was active in sports. For many years she and husband Elwood, whom she married in 1934, worked at the Riverside Hotel in Livermore Falls. They relocated to New Haven, Conn., where she managed a chain of photo studios, was a buyer for Reid’s Department Store. After her husband’s death in 1953, she worked in the engineering office of Southern New England Telephone Co. She graduated from Simmons School of Floral Design in Wellesley, Mass., and managed Richards Flower Shop in Livermore Falls until she retired and moved to Strong. Active throughout her life, Beulah Hoepner rode horseback frequently until she was 74. Her travels over the world included driving on the unpaved Alcan Highway, caravaning in the U.S. and Canada, touring New Zealand, and taking freight cruises and a four-month, around-the-world cruise. Known as “Grandma Beulah” to the children of two local Strong families whom she cared for, she was a member of Strong Firemen’s Auxiliary, past-president of both the Pierpole Riding Club and Maine Teleflora Unit, and Eastern Star. Her survivors include daughter Carla, two grandchildren, three great-grandchildren, and brother Paul. A stepson, Elwood, predeceased her in 1998.
Carl L. Drake, April 2, 1999.
For several years following graduation from Bates, Carl Drake was principal of Reed Plantation High School in Wytopitlock. In 1936 he became a fingerprinting specialist for the FBI. He then worked for the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization patrol in Fort Kent, Wayne, Pa., St. Albans, N.Y., then transferred from Niagara Falls as area supervisor to the Northern Regional INS office in Burlington, Vt. His last assignment was as liaison officer between Congress and the INS in Washington, D.C. A former treasurer of the National Assn. of Retired Federal Employees, he belonged to AARP, Knights of Columbus, Kiwanis Club board of directors, and was a communicant of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church of Clermont, Fla. Among his survivors are his wife of 62 years, Irene, daughters Andrea and Constance, a niece, a nephew and a cousin.
Willard Higgins, March 31, 1999.
Willard Higgins was well known as a trolley car expert. Growing up on a farm in Sabattus, he rode the trolley that ran through his back yard from Wales to Auburn, where he attended school. He taught math at Scarborough High School for seven years, then held a similar position at Stoneham, Mass., and kept up with Stoneham high school graduates who later went to Bates. Willard Higgins collected information and relics of electric railways and published a few articles including “A Tour of Boston by Rail.” He also wrote of the Stoneham trolley system that ran until 1946, the last car of which now is at the Maine Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport. In the ’50s he was a certified land surveyor in Stoneham and in later years a well-known and kind custodian at St. Patrick’s Church and Central School. He was a vestryman at All Saints Episcopal Church and a member of the Seashore Trolley Museum. His favorite charity was the Animal Rescue League, Boston. He leaves long-time friends Lt. Col. and Mrs. Robert Meegan and godsons Daniel, Kyle, and Ian.
Harry T. Madden, March 10, 1999.
In Massachusetts, Harry Madden worked at Lever Bros. in Cambridge for 14 years and was district sales manager until 1947 when he held a similar position with Van Brode Milling Co. Inc., in Clinton. He organized the H.T. Madden Co. in 1949, formerly General Brokers Merchandise, retiring in 1971 but continued as a consultant when his son took over the company. He and wife Eleanor spent 30 years in Florida, enjoying travel including a trip to the Far East and Red China. He was a golfer, active in the local Clinic Commission, past president of the Condo Assn., and was a member of Knights of Columbus. His wife survives as do son Kenneth and two grandchildren. His brother was the late John Madden ’42.
Ethel C. Oliver, May 21, 1999.
For many years Ethel Oliver lived in Camden, where she taught English at the junior and senior high schools. She also had coached softball and taught public speaking and drama. During World War II she volunteered as an aircraft spotter and corresponded with her former students who were in the service. She earned her master’s from Boston Univ. in 1948 and a CAGS from the Univ. of Maine in 1961. For 25 years she taught English at Beverly (Mass.) High School and was active in civic organizations there. Retiring to Camden she was a weekly volunteer for 12 years at the Farnsworth Museum, a teaching guide at Farnsworth Homestead, and a recent trustee of the Camden-Rockport Historical Society. Ethel Oliver collected town histories, stamps, coins, and governors’ autographs, and wrote the Monday Club’s history for that organization’s 100th anniversary. At one time she also was involved with the Beach Store in Lincolnville Beach. She leaves a sister, brother-in-law, a niece and many friends.
Amelia Breitmozer Sanders, March 20, 1999.
For 24 years Amelia Breitmozer Sanders was a social worker. From 1937 to 1942 she was a child welfare worker in Biddeford, then had a similar position in Bangor. Before she retired in 1983, she was a social worker with the Human Services Division of Specialized Medicine in Augusta. A member of the Literary Guild and St. Francis-Xavier Catholic Church in Winthrop, where she made her home, she enjoyed hobbies of needlework, baking, reading, and gardening. Daughter Mary Lee Sanders survives as do daughter-in-law Anne Sanders, three grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, and sister Cornelia B. Di Frederico ’38. She was predeceased by husband Stephen in 1968, son William, missing in action in Laos, daughter Karlene, and grandson Peter.
Stanton A. Sherman, June 17, 1999.
An athlete as an undergraduate, Stanton Sherman continued his interest in sports during his lifetime. He served in the U.S. Army Pacific Theater during World War II, returning to his hometown of Wiscasset where he joined the family lumber business. He was treasurer of the former Wiscasset Lumber Co. Inc. until he retired in 1983. Stan played baseball for several semi-pro teams and coached the local Little League for 14 years. The town of Wiscasset named the Little League Park in honor of Stan and his brothers. A member of American Legion, and the Wiscasset Fire Department and Fire Society, he was a former town selectman. He enjoyed basketball, golf, and bowling. Survivors include his wife of 60 years, Alberta, daughter Sally, and brothers Gerald and Walter.
Carl M. Bergengren, Aug. 23, 1999.
A physics major, Carl Bergengren enjoyed a long career with Pratt &;Whitney Aircraft in Hartford, Conn., where he was a manufacturing engineer and process planner. In 1976 he was appointed to a two-year assignment as production technical advisor with United Technologies Europe in Kongsberg, Norway, where he helped the company make a module of a new PWA engine for NATO. He and his wife, Ruth, whom he married in 1942, lived with their children in Glastonbury, Conn., for 40 years, moving to Covenant Village, Cromwell, in 1995. Throughout his life, Carl Bergengren was interested in and involved with environmental and conservation organizations. He served on the operations committee of the Connecticut River Watershed Council and recently as board member of the Mattabesset River Watershed Assn. He helped build two osprey platforms which were installed in Cromwell Meadows. He also was a friend of the Connecticut Audubon Society and past president of the Glastonbury Nature Conservancy, rescuing wild plants from highway mow zones. Among his other interests were sailing, gardening, woodworking, landscape photography, and travel. His wife survives, as do daughter Karen, sons Charles and Douglas, two grandchildren, a sister, brother, and several nieces and nephews.
Annette Gorman Harvey, June 5, 1999.
A homemaker, Annette Gorman Harvey lived in Auburn and Poland during her early years and worked at Central Maine Power Co. after graduation. Following her marriage to Robert Harvey ’38, she moved to Upper Montclair, N.J., spending summers at Poland. She spent winters in Naples, Fla., after she retired. A member of the Women’s Literary Union, Friends of Poland Library, and Lewiston-Auburn College Club, she enjoyed golf and the Gulf of Mexico area. Her survivors include daughters Elizabeth and Kathleen, son Robert Jr., and two grand daughters. Her husband of 50 years predeceased her. Her brothers-in-law were J. Edward Harvey ’37 and A. Raymond Harvey ’42.
Mary Metz Calder, May 10, 1999.
A mother, teacher, librarian, and volunteer, Mary Metz Calder throughout her life was involved with church and community organizations. Prior to her marriage to Glenn Calder in 1942, she taught school in Alabama and Vermont and later in several area elementary schools in that state. She was active in the Burlington Baptist Church, a member of the handbell choir, and served as president of the Vermont American Baptist Women’s society for four years. She drove for the Meals-on-Wheels program, volunteered for the AARP tax program, was county and state coordinator in the ’90s, and received a 35-year pin from Gov. Dean for her service to the state. A member of Rebekahs for 58 years, she belonged to the county and state retired teachers’ associations. Mary Metz Calder earned her M.S.L.S. from the Univ. of Rhode Island in 1969 and was librarian in two South Burlington elementary schools, retiring in 1976. She is survived by daughters Carolyn, Mary, Jane, Barbara ’76, son James, brothers Paul and William ’37, nephew William C. ’66, and niece Elizabeth Metz McNab ’64.
William J. Luukko, Feb. 9, 1999.
A member of College Club, William Luukko taught history and coached track and baseball at Bridgton Academy from 1939 to 1941, when he joined Norton Co. in Worcester, Mass. There he began as a control engineer in the Grinding Wheel Division. When he retired in 1979 he had been supervisor of manufacturing engineering and was supervisor of their equipment product and design section. At Norton Co., “Bill” Luukko made job-related contributions in the field of powder metallurgy, promoting the growth of the silicon chip industry worldwide. He took special courses in metallurgy at Worcester Polytech Institute, was a registered professional engineer and land surveyor in Mass., and a member of Massachusetts Professional Engineers and Masons. The highlight of the last 50 years for him has been his worldwide stamp collection. His wife, Pauline, wrote that he “was truly proud of being a Bates graduate.” She survives, as do daughter Terrie-Ann L. Reynolds and several grandchildren.
Frederick J. Thornton, March 29, 1999.
Following two years at Bates, Frederick Thornton worked in the Lewiston Post Office. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army for three-and-a-half years in Casablanca and French Morocco. Returning to the Post Office, he spent 36 years as a carrier, then became a clerk and was superintendent of mails at the time of his retirement in 1973. An enthusiastic golfer at Fairlawn Golf Course in East Poland and in Florida, he was a member of St. Joseph’s Church. He was especially proud of his family, sons James and Robert, and two granddaughters. They survive as does his wife, Jacqueline, whom he married in 1962.
William G. Torrey, April 2, 1999.
A resident of Cape Elizabeth since 1986, William Torrey attended Hamilton College for two years before transferring to Bates. He studied advertising at Boston Univ. and later took courses at N.Y.U., and Harvard Business School. During World War II he served in the U.S. Air Force for four years and later was on active duty with the Air Force in the Korean conflict for a year. He worked in the market research department at Dun & Bradstreet, as supervisor of the statistical section of Allied Chemical and Dye Corp., then joined J. Walter Thompson Co. in New York City, retiring to Maine after 22 years as a market research associate. Among his hobbies were photography, woodcarving, and collecting jazz records and Arthurian books, many of which he gave to the Bates library. His special interest in genealogy led to research of his Mayflower ancestors. He was a member of the Society of Mayflower Descendants and the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society. In retirement “Bill” Torrey was active in the Cape Elizabeth Land Trust, serving as director, treasurer, and as an advisor. He was past treasurer of Friends of Thomas Memorial Library and a volunteer with the library of Maine Historical Society. He belonged to a number of genealogical family societies, including Bartlett, Weymouth, John Howland, Blair, Clan Shaw, the Crandall Family Assn., and Maine Genealogical and Historical societies. He leaves his wife of 42 years, Mabel, and daughter Lynn.
Harold F. Rothe, June 2, 1999.
A magna cum laude graduate, psychology major Harold Rothe was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and was president of Delta Phi Alpha. At the Univ. of Minnesota Department of Psychology, he was an instructor in general, applied, and vocational psychology. After working on the industrial psychological staff of Stevenson, Jordan &;Harrison Inc. in Chicago, he became personnel director at American Hospital Supply Co. in Evanston. In the ’50s he was executive staff assistant at Fairbanks-Morse in Beloit, Wis., his 1979 retirement, when he owned a consulting service and taught a course at Wisconsin-Whitewater. Harold Rothe was a consulting editor for The Journal of Applied Psychology. Among the 20 papers and articles he also published, two were translated into Japanese and published in The Psychology of Management. He was a member of area and national professional associations, and a director and board member of the Industrial Relations Research Assn., United Givers Fund, Better Business Bureau, and Family Service Assn. He leaves daughters Ingrid and Kristin and son Frederick. His wife, Jean, died in 1997.
Pauline Chayer Straight, May 31, 1999.
A French major at Bates, Pauline Chayer Straight later did graduate work at the Univ. of Hartford. Following graduation she was an aide at the Neuropsychiatric Institute in Hartford and worked during World War II at Hamilton Standard Propellers. She had earned an NDEA Fellowship and taught for 11 years at RHAM High School in Hebron, Conn., spending the summer of 1974 on a three-week study of French culture at the Univ. of Grenoble, one of 18 U.S. teachers chosen by the American Assn. of Teachers of French. At RHAM, Pauline Straight was director of dramatics and her drama groups winning best play and best actor awards in state competitions. She retired in 1987. A member of national, state, and local professional organizations, she was chaplain of Alpha Delta Gamma and served as vice president of the RHAM Educational Assn. Dancing and duplicate bridge were among her hobbies. She leaves her husband, Charles, whom she married in 1942, daughter Susan, son Stephen ’76, and a sister. Her father was the late Charles C. Chayer ’17 and her stepmother was Burtra Dresser Purington Chayer Stanitis ’17.
Ann Cleveland Yost, July 6, 1999.
Ann Cleveland Yost devoted her life to her family and to children with special needs. She taught history and violin at Kents Hill School for a year, then was physical education and health teacher at Lawrence High School in Fairfield. During the ’40s she spent summers as a counselor and assistant director of Camp Hitinowa, Litchfield, and served on the staffs of Pine Tree Camp for Crippled Children and later at the New England Music Camp. In 1953 she earned a master’s in medical social work from Simmons College and worked as a caseworker in the obstetric clinic at Johns Hopkins Hospital. After her marriage to Edward Yost in 1952, she was a homemaker and mother, active in her church, and served as a Brownie and Girl Scout leader. She served as president of the Pittsburgh Bates Club from 1969 to 1973. In the South Hills area of Pittsburgh she organized the first Girl Scout troop for retarded girls, the first choir for teenage handicapped children at Pathfinder School in the area, and planned square dances for the district. The Yosts retired to Skowhegan in 1982 where Ann enjoyed gardening. She was the first president of the Community Food Cupboard, an active lay person in the Methodist Church, and she organized a chorus for special adults there. She was a member of the Maine Audubon Society and the Democratic Party of Somerset County. Her husband of 47 years survives, as do daughters Elizabeth Yost and Mary Alice and son-in-law David Donaldson, and two grandchildren.
Eleanor Cook Bragdon, March 3, 1999.
A community volunteer and homemaker, Eleanor Cook Bragdon taught English and music at Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., the year after she graduated from Bates. She married classmate Douglas Bragdon in 1941, worked as an administrative assistant to a scientist in St. Louis, and then as secretary in the Department of Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital. After the family settled in Chelmsford, Mass., she worked with Girl Scouts, PTA, Friends of the Library, Garden Club, and Arts Council. She became well known for her book reviews with area groups and her lectures on English gardens. “Cooky” Bragdon was an active member of Central Baptist Church and a volunteer at the Florence Crittenden League, Lawrence Samaritans, Lowell Shelter for Battered Women, and the Horne Home for Retired Ladies. Class secretary from 1965 to 1969, she was a member of Boston Bates Alumnae Club, a volunteer for the Bates Campaign 1992-96, and was past president of the Lowell College Club. Her varied interests included auditing college courses, singing in the Mikado, quilting, sewing for the church, card games, charades, and PBS British mysteries. Her survivors include her husband of 58 years, daughters Edith ’69 and E. Merle ’77, son Andrew ’71 and wife Carole (Scannell) ’72), two grandchildren, and a sister.
Alfred Osher, March 21, 1999.
Alfred Osher attended Bates for two years then earned his degree at Univ. of Pennsylvania School of Dentistry. He practiced general and oral surgery in Biddeford for 14 years. In 1969 he entered Tufts School of Dentistry for certification in orthodontics and became the first board-certified orthodontist in Maine. For the next 28 years he practiced in Biddeford, Portland, and North Conway, N.H. He made friends with his young patients and was called “Uncle Al, the kiddies’ pal.” He also was appointed associate professor in Tufts’ graduate department of orthodontics, retiring from teaching and dental practice in 1991. Dr. Osher was a member of local, national and European professional associations, a charter member of the College of Diplomate of American Board of Orthodontics, past president of Tufts Orthodontic Assn., for whom he co-chaired fund raising for the Tufts Clinic and Library. He had served for 49 months as a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy for the U.S. Public Health Service. A longtime member of YMCA and Cumberland Club in Portland, he belonged to Temple Beth El, Etz Chaim synagogue, Biddeford, and Shaarey Tphiloh Synagogue. Surviving are his wife, Suzi, brothers Bernard, William, and Harold, and sister Marion Sandler.
A. Stanley Austin, June 24, 1999.
During World War II Stanley Austin served with the U.S. Army Air Corps Weather Service. He worked as a chemist at Calco Chemical Co. in Bound Brook, N.J., Dewey and Almy Chemical Co. in Cambridge, Mass., and then was director of human resources at Cryovac Co., a division of W.R. Grace &;Co.in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. In 1963 he transferred to the company’s Greenville-Spartanburg (S.C.) office where he became director of employee and industrial relations. Stanley Austin was past-president of the Salem (S.C.) Lions Club as well as a district officer; he was an elder and deacon in the Walhalla Presbyterian Church. During the ’50s he was president of the Industrial Management Club, chaired the Red Cross Blood Program, served Blue Cross-Blue Shield, and in 1955 received the Junior Chamber of Commerce award for his outstanding service to the community. “Stan” Austin’s favorite pastimes were golf, boating, gardening, church choir, symphony concerts, the theater, and Clemson football. In the ’80s the Austins traveled to Egypt, the Holy Land, Scandinavia, and the Canadian Rockies. Survivors include his wife, Orma (Cogswell), sons Ron and Alan, daughters Judy and Jean, stepsons Austin, Gary, Neale, and Chip, 10 grandchildren, and nine step-grandchildren. He was predeceased by his wife, Pauline, in 1995 and a son, David.
Joanne Lowther Tuller, March 31, 1999.
A member of Phi Beta Kappa and Delta Phi Alpha, Joanne Lowther Tuller also was a former member of the Bates Key and a class agent for the Alumni Fund. In the ’40s she was a psychiatric aide at the Hartford (Conn.) Retreat. She married Ralph L. Tuller ’42 in 1942. An active member of the United Church of Christ, she and her husband visited Sri Lanka for the United Church Board for World Ministries and traveled to Turkey on a similar mission to evaluate and observe hospitals and schools. She leaves sons Daniel ’67 and S. Mark. Her husband predeceased her in 1994.
Deborah L. Pratt, May 8, 1999.
Deborah Pratt attended Bates, then earned her R.N. at Central Maine General Hospital School of Nursing and an M.S.N. at Columbia. During her career she was a nursing supervisor at CMGH and instructor and clinical supervisor at Hartford (Conn.) Hospital. She then chaired the nursing department at Westbrook College. She was an instructor for the New England Board of Higher Education, conducting regional workshops on management for nurses and supervisors. In Portland she had served as a member and lay minister of the Woodfords Congregational Church and was past president of the Altrusa Club. There are no survivors.
Frederick C. Whitten Jr., June 14, 1999.
During World War II, Frederick Whitten served with distinction as a lieutenant with the U.S. Navy in the Pacific Amphibian Staff Command. On his return he became treasurer of the W.H. Gammon Co. in Lewiston and served on the board of Northeast Bank. Later he owned Casa Mia, a restaurant in North Windham, and was a real estate developer in Lee. Active in Bates affairs, he served as class president. Earlier he had been secretary-treasurer of the Lewiston-Auburn Men’s Club and was special-gifts chairman of his class for the Alumni Fund. A member of Kora Shrine, he was a 32d degree Mason. His children Judith, Richard, and Amanda and grandson Jason survive. He also leaves stepchildren Darcy St. Hilaire, Greg, Bill, and Linda Hird and their children. He was predeceased by his first wife, Marjorie (Lindquist ’41), and wife Nancy Hird Whitten, who died March 13, 1996.
James S. Doe, July 20, 1999.
Before entering Bates James Doe served as a bomber-navigator in the U.S. Army Air Corps. At Bates he lived in “the barracks” and in the summer worked for Professor of Chemistry Walter A. Lawrance on the Androscoggin River pollution problem. After he graduated he began graduate study at Andover-Newton Theological School and served as pastor and director of religious education at the Federated Church in Ashland, Mass. For 13 years he taught science and math at Detroit Country Day School. During the summer he worked for General Motors Corp. doing research as an instrumentation scientist surveying with radar the Diablo Nuclear Plant construction site. Moving to California in 1962 he taught math and science at Los Olivos Midland School for three years and at the high school of San Luis Obispo until 1985. Among his interests were the Civil Air Patrol, producing and broadcasting through CBTV 56, and local history and archeology. He volunteered 90 hours to the local Chinatown project and was on the steering committee that founded the Tri-Counties Regional Center, providing services to many county citizens. He was president of the city’s association for the developmentally disabled that included his son, Andrew. A member of Trinity United Methodist Church, he sang in the choir and played cello. He leaves his wife of 56 years, Katherine, sons James and Thomas, five grandchildren, and three sisters.
S. Patric Scavotto, April 29, 1999.
During World War II, S. Patric Scavotto served in the U.S. Army and again as captain in the Army Dental Corps during the Korean Conflict. He practiced dentistry for 38 years, retiring in 1983. During his career he served on the staff of Boston City Hospital for 14 years and was assistant professor of dental radiology at both Tufts Dental School from 1960 to 1964 and Harvard Medical School for 12 years. Harvard’s 1975 class honored him for his devotion and guidance as a “rare type of teacher who displays the patience and understanding of a true friend.” Dr. Scavotto also received the Yankee Dental Congress’s Etherington Award for his outstanding contributions to the profession. A member of the Massachusetts Committee on Radiation Protection, he published articles on dental radiation safety. He had been an officer in state and national professional associations and was a Fellow of the American College of Dentistry. Locally he had been president of the Boston Latin Home and School Assn. and the Wm. L. Cannon Home and School Assn. Active in Bates affairs, “Shove” Scavotto served as class president and as president of Boston Men’s Club and was a member of the Executive Committee of the Alumni Fund. He was a parishioner of St. Elizabeth Seton Church of Falmouth, Mass. His survivors include his wife of 53 years, Mary, daughter Ellen, sons Stephen ’71, John ’79, Michael, Paul, Peter, Philip, and Anthony, 11 grandchildren, and nephew Robert Therrien ’91.
Norman E. Johnson, June 5, 1999.
Norman Johnson earned his M.D. from Boston Univ. Medical School. He was a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps, serving at West Point Military Academy as doctor for the football team, then was a ship’s surgeon for the Grace Line. In later years he spent vacations as a ship’s doctor on Mediterranean cruises. In 1953 he was an otolaryngologist at Grove Hill Clinic, New Britain, Conn., then joined a practice in Syracuse, N.Y., where he was also clinical associate professor at Community General Hospital. Dr. Johnson was a member of major medical societies, including the American Rhinological and Triological societies and The American Academy of Head and Neck Surgery. He belonged to Rural Lodge F&AM;of Quincy, Mass., and enjoyed traveling in Austria, London, and Germany. Among his survivors are his wife, Barbara, whom he married in 1966, and daughters Toby, Melissa, and Sarah.
Lucy Cornelius Robbins, May 14, 1999.
A homemaker, Lucy Cornelius Robbins was vice president of the Central New York State Bates Club whose members “loved her enthusiasm and loyalty.” In Cazenovia, where she lived with her husband, Willis, she was an elder, deacon, and active member of the Women’s Assn. of the Presbyterian Church. During her children’s early years she worked with Girl Scouts and the PTA, and her many interests included gardening, cooking, and antiques. For two years following her Bates graduation, she was a claims adjustor for Liberty Mutual. Survivors include her husband of 53 years, daughter Nancy, son David, and four grandchildren.
John R. Dyer Jr., Dec. 26, 1998.
Following service in the U.S. Army during World War II, John Dyer earned his J.D. from Boston Univ. Law School in 1950. In his hometown of Truro, Mass., he practiced law for 42 years. He was a selectman there from 1956 to 1965 and then served on the Finance Committee. A trustee of Wellfleet Savings Bank and Cape Cod 5-cent Savings Bank, he also was on the Provincetown Town Council for a year. John Dyer was a Mayflower descendant and a member of SAR, the Pilgrim Monument Assn., the Rich Family Assn., and Save the Lighthouse Committee. He was founder and director of Truro Historical Society. He belonged to VFW, Eastern Star, Aleppo Shrine, Wellfleet Lodge, the local ambulance association, and yacht and tennis clubs. He served as clerk and deacon at the First Congregational Parish Church. In recent years, the Dyers had traveled around the world on the S.S. Rotterdam as well as to Alaska and Switzerland. His wife, Evelyn, survives as do sister Elizabeth Dyer Haskell ’49, brother-in-law Richard, nephew Franklin Haskell ’73 and his wife, Joan Faella Haskell ’74, two nieces, greatnieces, and greatnephews.
Frederick K. Barry Sr., July 10, 1999.
A veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps serving in the South Pacific, Fred Barry attended Dartmouth and transferred to Bates. He was on the football team that played in the 1946 Toledo Glass Bowl game. At Bangor High School he was a teacher, coach of champion basketball teams, and athletic director for over 30 years. After he retired in 1978, he substituted and was a coach at Brewer High School. For his dedication to the sports he coached he received the James Difrederico Award, McDonald’s Lifetime Achievement Award for basketball, and was elected to the Maine Sports Hall of Fame. In 1990 the Bangor High School Gym was dedicated to Fred Barry. He also received an award from former Bangor High student William Cohen t (now Secretary of Defense), who said, “He is a man I admire greatly. He had an impact on my life at a young age.” A member of local, area, and national educational associations, Fred Barry was a member of the Baseball Umpires Assn. and the Maine Assn. of Interscholastic Athletic Directors. He leaves his wife of 46 years, C. Maxine, sons Frederick Jr. and William, daughter Margo, seven grandchildren, a cousin Richard ’60, and nephews and nieces including Lisa Barry ’77.
Barbara Cox Chesley, July 16, 1999.
Barbara Cox Chesley attended Bates for two years, worked at Bath Iron Works for a time, and married Clair Chesley in 1944. A homemaker and mother of five sons, she made her home in Durham, where she was appointed to the town’s planning board for four years and also was the board’s secretary. In 1974 she was Durham’s first woman selectman, serving until 1987, and was a Maine certified assessor for the town. She was active in supporting local education and the building of a new town office. Appointed to the executive committee of the Maine Municipal Assn., she was chairman of the Grievance Commission of the State Board of Overseers of the Bar, served on the board itself and on the State Parole Board. Most recently she was on the State Board for Legal Services for the Elderly. Her husband survives, as do sons Clair III, Andrew, Chris, Duncan, and James, and 12 grandchildren.
Howard J. Collins Jr., June 21, 1999.
After four semesters at Bates in the V-12 program, Howard Collins served in the U.S. Navy for two years. He earned an M.B.A. from the Wharton School of Finance in 1950 and worked at the Canal National Bank in Portland until 1956, when he became cashier an vice president at Safety Fund National Bank in Fitchburg, Mass. He was president of Par-Troy State Bank in Parsippany, N.J., then became president and CEO of the board of People’s National Bank, Littleton, N. H. He resigned in 1980 to do tax planning for Burbank &;Co. Inc. in his home as well as individual investment counseling. Most recently he was an investment broker for A.G. Edwards &;Sons Inc. in Littleton. Howard Collins was president of the advisory council of the White Mountain Mental Health Center, director and vice chairman of the New Hampshire Mental Health Center, trustee of the Littleton Trust Fund, director of the Littleton Industrial Investment Corp., and director and vice chairman of the N.H. Finance Agency. He belonged to Lions Club, maintained an interest in Bates clubs, and volunteered for the Alumni-in-Admissions program. Survivors include his wife, Joan Thompson Collins ’48, sons John and Paul, and daughters Anne and Susan ’81.
Myrtle Holden Birdsell, 1999.
A magna cum laude graduate and Phi Beta Kappa member, Myrtle Holden Birdsell was editor-in-chief of the Bates Student her senior year. She earned her master’s in history at Brown Univ. in 1951, where she was an assistant in the history department. She then was a technical writer for the U.S. Navy, writing the instruction book on large air current breakers for naval use. For seven years, she and husband Dale had civilian jobs with the U.S. Army Chemical Corps as he taught history and she wrote speeches and articles for the commanding general of the Research and Engineering Command. In 1966 Mrs. Birdsell was appointed chairman of the Democratic Policy Commission in Roxbury Township, N.J. She leaves a son, David, and was predeceased by her husband in 1998.
John L. Russell Jr., March 27, 1999.
During World War II John Russell was a prisoner of war in Burma from 1944 to 1945. He was assistant dean at the Univ. of Missouri for three years and taught in Florida public schools for four years. A free-lance writer, he wrote for trade magazines and was author of books for the Popular Mechanics Press, Chicago, including Destination Space, Science Year (a survey of the 1959’s development in science and technology), and The Shape of Things to Come. He was a nephew of Wilma Gero Clapham ’57 and leaves brothers James and David.
Frank Chapman, Dec. 15, 1998.
A magna cum laude graduate, Frank Chapman was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, Delta Sigma Rho and College Club, and was an assistant in the history department. He served as class president his junior year. After earning his LL.B. in 1952 from Cornell, he was admitted to the Maine bar, practiced law in Old Orchard Beach, worked on property tax business with the Maine Legislature, and became executive secretary for the Maine Municipal Assn. He then was in private practice and a partner with Locke, Campbell &;Chapman, later Hiscock and Barclay, in Augusta. During his career, he served as an associate judge for the Gardiner Municipal Court, was legal counsel to the Maine Teachers Assn., chaired the executive committee on planning the expansion of state facilities in Augusta, and served on the State Revenue Approval Board. A member of Depositors Trust Board of Directors, he had been legal counsel to the bank since 1965. During World War II, the Berwick native served in the U.S. Air Force before entering Bates was a member of the USAF Reserve. Among his family members are his wife, Valerie, whom he married in 1943, daughter Susan, and son Scott. His sister is Jean Chapman Neely ’53.
Robert J. Dignam, Feb. 13, 1999.
Robert Dignam received his M.D. from Tufts Medical School. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and in the Korean Conflict. An orthopedic surgeon, he practiced at the Lahey Clinic, Boston, and for 22 years at St. John’s Hospital, Santa Monica, Calif. He had been associate professor of orthopedic surgery at UCLA and also was chief of Children’s Orthopedics at the Marion Davies Clinic and Kennedy Study Center. His wife, Evelyn, survives as do son Stephen, daughters Lynn and Gale, and five grandchildren.
Doris Hingel Barton, July 5, 1999.
A former resident of Essex Fells and Roseland, N.J., Doris Hingel Barton had lived in Sarasota, Fla., for the past six years. She taught in New Jersey elementary schools in Linden and Newark until 1953 when she married Robert Barton. She had taken additional courses at Newark State and Seton Hall Teachers College. For 20 years Mrs. Barton was an accountant in her husband’s West Orange tax firm. She is survived by her husband, daughter Susan, two grandsons, and a brother. A son, Robert, predeceased her.
Richard W. Wallis, May 11, 1999.
Richard Wallis attended Bates and graduated from the University of Massachusetts in 1955 with a bachelor’s in business administration. A veteran of the Korean War, he was a sergeant in the U.S. Army Reserve from 1953 to 1957. For 27 years he was a senior accountant at Stanley Works in New Britain, Conn., and had worked also at the Church Co. in Holyoke, Mass. He volunteered for heart and cancer drives, and sponsored many children through Save the Children program. An aunt and a cousin survive.
Robert W. Dean, Feb. 14, 1999.
Robert Dean earned his Ph.D. in food technology from Rutgers Univ. in 1959. As a chemist and food technologist in private industry, he worked on ways to improve food with chemicals. He had been a food technologist with General Foods in Orange, Mass., a resident chemist with Wilson Co., meatpackers in Chicago, and the product development chemist with Durkee Famous Food Division of Glidden Co. In 1967 he moved to Florida and was chief chemist for Growers Processing Service. In 1972 he joined the U.S. Department of Agriculture, working in Chicago as director of Food and Nutrition Service and as USDA director of Midwest Nutrition and Technical Services staff. Robert Dean was a member of Sigma Xi, American Chemical Society., the Institute of Food Technologists, a Fellow of the American Institute of Chemists, and served as president of the Chicago Nutrition Assn. During retirement he published several articles in trade journals on food technology. He was president of the Florida Bates Club and was an avid baseball fan. His wife, Mary Lou, survives as do sons John, Thomas, and Alexander, daughters Mary and Ellen, and six grandchildren.
Lawrence A. Ovian, July 5, 1999.
Lawrence Ovian was a member of honorary professional organizations Phi Delta Kappa and Epsilon Phi Tau. He enlisted in the U.S. Army at age 17 and served in the South Pacific before entering Bates, where he majored in history and education. He earned an M.Ed. at Penn State College in 1953 and an Ed.D. in 1967 from the Univ. of Massachusetts. He taught social studies in Sandwich, Mass., and was the youngest principal in the state when he was elected principal of the Henry Wing High School in Sandwich. A decade later he was appointed senior supervisor of secondary schools and later was southwest regional director. Lawrence Ovian served as dean and later president of Burdett College, Boston. In the early ’70s he was associate director of field services at Fitchburg State College, coordinating the off-campus programs. After he retired to Sudbury, he served six years on the board of education and on school committees and developed the internship program for the Sudbury Regional Vocational School Committee. A member of the Armenian Church, during his retirement he chaired the Parish Council of the Las Vegas (Nev.) Armenian Church and was president of the Massachusetts Schoolmasters Club, a member of state and national vocational associations, and the Massachusetts ASCD. Lawrence Ovian was an enthusiastic fan, player, and coach of basketball, football and hockey. Among his survivors are his wife, Esther, whom he married in 1961, sons Lawrence and Lee, three grandchildren, two sisters, and and a brother.
Raymond F. DeLisle, Aug. 9, 1999.
Following graduation, Raymond DeLisle served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. He attended Boston Univ. Law School and received his LL.B. from the Univ. of Maine-Portland in 1958. For several years he worked at Travelers Insurance Co. in Portland. From 1967 to 1985 he managed DeLisle’s Auto Body Shop in Lewiston, retiring to Rome in the Belgrade Lakes area. He earned a pilot’s license, loved to fly, and enjoyed hunting, fishing and camping. Survivors include daughter Stacy, sons Dana and Matthew, and three grandchildren. His wife, Patricia, died in 1987.
Mary Ellen Plumb, Jan 20, 1999.
In 1957 Mary Ellen Plumb received her master’s from Vassar College, where she was an assistant in the zoology departent, and spent the summers at Woods Hole (Mass.) as a research technician. Following a year as an instructor in cancer research in Philadelphia, she taught science at Woodstock (Vt.) Country School and Concord (Mass.) Academy. Joining the faculty of Phillips Exeter School in 1974, she taught biology and chemistry there until she resigned in 1989. Exeter headmaster Stephen Kurtz said of Mary Ellen that she was “not just another good teacher. She is one of those very rare ones, holding up highest standards and also being ready to help those who need it.” She published articles in Nature and The Journal of Experimental Biology and Medicine. Mary Ellen Plumb loved animals and supported the New Hampshire SPCA and Animal Welfare Society of West Kennebunk. In recent years she ran a cat shelter and small farm for abused, abandoned, and lost animals near her home in Kensington, N.H. She is survived by many friends.
Faith Whiting Bartlett, Sept. 12, 1999.
A 36-year resident of Mill Valley, Calif., Faith Whiting Bartlett received a bachelor’s degree in nursing from Bates and a master’s in nursing from the UC-San Francisco. She was employed for many years at Marin General Hospital, where she started the case-management program and later became director of the hospital’s Senior Program. For the past six years Faith had her own elder-care consultant service. She belonged to the National Assn. of Professional Geriatric Care Managers, the American Assn. of University Women, the Case Management Society of America, and the Marin County Alzheimer Task Force. Her favorite pastimes included reading, bookstores, visiting her children, and researching her family history. She is survived by her husband, Jack Bartlett, daughters Jennifer and Gretchen, son Duncan, three sisters, sister-in-law Margaret Bartlett Ulrich ’55, and brother-in-law W. Arthur Ulrich ’55.
Helen Katherine McLin, May 18, 1999.
A Phi Beta Kappa graduate, Helen K. McLin was a dean’s list student and was elected to Delta Sigma Rho and The Bates Key. Serving as class president from 1976 to 1981, she maintained a lively interest in the College. In spite of being progressively disabled with multiple sclerosis, she was an advocate for people with disabilities, testifying before local and state governments. Her graduate studies were at the Univ. of Edinburgh and at Collegio de Mexico, where she studied international relations and taught political science. There she founded an international book company that specialized in bilingual texts and was general coordinator for Mexican Academic Clearing House (MACH). She returned to Maine in 1974 to teach language along with administrative duties at Bowdoin and she wrote for Maine Times. For three years “Kay” McLin managed the bookstores at what was then University of Maine-Portland/Gorham, also teaching a seminar on acquisition of Latin American library materials. She wrote and read Spanish, French, German, Russian, and Italian and continued her intellectual interests for the rest of her life. Her son, Erin Rodriguez, and brother William McLin survive.
David B. Voorhees, April 18, 1999.
David Voorhees transferred to Bates after two years at Yale. He earned his M.D. from New York Medical College in 1961 and was in general family practice and surgery on Nantucket for 36 years. He served on the staff of the Nantucket Cottage Hospital, where he also had been chief of the medical staff and a member of the board of corporators. In 1970 he was appointed Associate Medical Examiner by then-Gov. Michael Dukakis. Dr. Voorhees served on the local school committee for many years and with the New School. He is survived by daughter Kate and son Oliver. He married the former Elizabeth Bowker in 1958. His father was musician Don Voorhees, Mus.D.’43.
Charles F. Dewhirst Jr., Aug. 25, 1999.
Charles Dewhirst attended Bates and graduated from New England Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences with a degree in funeral service. He owned and operated his own funeral business in Laconia, N.H., and in Massachusetts towns of Methuen, Andover, and Lawrence. A member of Guilford (Mass.) Community Church, he had been charter president of Salem-Methuen Rotary Club, was elected a Paul Harris Fellow, and was on the board of Methuen Cooperative Bank. A member of numerous Masonic lodges, he was awarded the 33rd degree for his service to the fraternity. He also belonged to Lawrence and Methuen AF&AM,;Massachusetts Consistory AARS and Aleppo Temple. Among his survivors are his wife of 42 years, sons Richard, Alan, Glenn, John, four grandchildren, a sister, and nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by daughter Amy.
George K. Charkoudian, July 31, 1999.
George Charkoudian received his D.M.D. from Tufts School of Dental Medicine in 1963 and completed his residency in oral surgery at Boston City Hospital in 1966. He maintained a private practice in oral surgery in Springfield, Mass., for 30 years and was a staff member at Wesson Memorial, Mercy, and Springfield hospitals. In recent years he owned and operated Charkoudian Orchards in Wilbraham and was an experienced bee keeper. Active in Rotary and the YMCA Valley Athletic Club, he was a member of national and area dental societies and the American Assn. of Oral and Maxillofacial surgeons. Dr. Charkoudian belonged to St. Gregory’s Apostolic Armenian Church of Indian Orchards. He leaves his former wife, Toni Reynolds, daughters Elise and Maria, and two brothers.
Joseph P. Zatyrka, March 27, 1999.
A graduate of Hopkins and Cushing academies, Joseph Zatyrka attended Bates and then served with the U.S. Army in Korea. Following five years in California, he returned to Massachusetts and worked as clerk of the works at Northampton’s John E. Gare Parking Garage. At the time of his death he was in the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Leeds. He leaves his wife, Helen, sons Alexander and Joseph, daughters Catherine and Mary, a granddaughter, two nieces, and several cousins. A sister, Irene, predeceased him.
Robert M. Viles, Aug. 9, 1999.
Graduating magna cum laude, Robert Viles was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, was a member of College Club, and served as class president from 1961 to 1966. He earned an LL.B. from New York Univ. in 1964 and an LL.M from Yale Law School in 1965, after which he joined the faculty of the Univ. of Kentucky College of Law as associate professor of legal philosophy and also as assistant dean. In 1972 he was research director of the Commission on Bankruptcy Laws of the U.S. in Washington, D.C. In 1973 “Bob” Viles moved to Concord, N.H., to become associate dean of the Law Center at Franklin Pierce College in Concord, N.H. Since 1976 he had been dean of the law center after it became independent from the College, a position he held for 20 years. In 1992 he was elected president of the Pierce Law Center, continuing as dean of what is the country’s smallest independent law school, cultivating the center’s growing reputation in intellectual property law and public interest law, particularly in underserved communities. In 1994 he received the Legal Teaching Award from New York Univ. Law School’s Annual Celebration. Just prior to his death he became vice chairman of the Pierce Law Center board of trustees. The current board chairman, Douglas J. Wood, said, “His vision, creativity, hard work, and caring for faculty and students alike brought the school from its infancy to its current national and even international reputation.” He leaves his wife, Bruce Earman Viles to whom he had been married for 30 years.
Kathryn Oliver Taylor, March 9, 1999.
Kathryn Oliver Taylor attended Bates from 1957 to 1959. She had been an assistant in performing arts in the Monadnock (N.H.) Regional School District, then taught there for 12 years. A member of Swanzey Players, she had the role of Aunt Toddy in the annual revival of The Old Homestead. She was a former member of the Keene Pop Choir. In addition to her mother, she leaves companion Stanley Fisher, sons Jeffrey, David, Timothy, Christopher, and Matthew, and five grandchldren.
Jonathan Ford, Aug. 2, 1999.
A government major and member of College Club, Jonathan Ford served in the U.S. Marines with the rank of captain. In 1968 he earned his M.B.A. from the Maxwell School of Public Administration at Syracuse Univ. He joined the Atomic Energy Commission in New York City, where he became chief of the administrative branch of the Health and Safety Laboratory in 1974 and later was chief of the Energy Research and Development Administration. In the ’80s he was an administrative officer at the Environmental Measurements Laboratory of the U.S. Department of Energy. Jon Ford was a member of the board of trustees of the Unitarian Society of Ridgewood, N.J. In Bates affairs, he served as an alumni advisor to the Office of Career Services and participated in the Career Discovery Internship Program at one time. He was interested in photography, biking, and woodworking. He leaves daughters Jennifer and Kathryn, his former wife Bonney (Nickerson) ’67, parents-in-law David ’42 and Constance Blaisdell Nickerson ’45, and sister Elaine.
Robert W. Halliday, Aug. 6, 1999.
Robert Halliday earned his master’s from Wesleyan Univ. in 1966 and a Ph.D. from Wayne State Univ. After teaching part time at Connecticut College, he served on the faculty of Adelphi Univ. for 20 years, first as assistant professor of chemistry. In 1989 he became a full professor. He then worked for Halliday Research Corp. in Garden City, N.Y., doing retirement financial planning for college faculty and staff. “Bob” Halliday was class treasurer, a volunteer for the Bates fund-raising campaigns, and served on the executive committee of the Tri-State campaign. Among his survivors are his wife, Sally Smith Halliday ’64, daughters Rachel and Melissa, and son Andrew.
John D. Wing, May 9, 1999.
John Wing, a dean’s list student, earned his master’s in Chaucer at William and Mary, and received a poetry award there. He also had taken courses at the Univ. of Chicago and Dartmouth. For a time he taught Shakespeare at Hebron Academy, then worked in the archives at Dartmouth College library and later at the Dartmouth Bookstore. In 1997 he traveled to Germany, teaching English to German students. A poet who had his workds published in Proteus, John Wing was an outdoor enthusiast and enjoyed sports, reading, and writing. He was predeceased by his parents of Auburn but leaves a host of friends, three half-brothers, an aunt, and five cousins. John Tagliabue, professor emeritus of English, called Wing “one of my most respectful and inspiring students” and penned a poem in his memory, a few lines of which read:
When you arrived, special visitor,
humble, persisting, somehow assisting my highest respectful
seemed to bring throughts with you from months and months of privately
a subject, rare and radiant and inspiring and fragile one, thoughts that
do often lie too deep
for tears, learning from my-and-your love of Shakespeare, secret
capable of deep sorrow and highest regard, guardian of Piero’s devotion,
assignment and his
silence, secret sharer with Edgar in King Lear. Solitary wanderer
in Europe and
New England in search of some truth. If only we could help sanity,
Listening so much as to make us listen, admire. More than to Rilke,
to the occupation
of the silk worm in the dark busily slowly pursuing its
a cocoon, a womb to protect our pursuit of the good.
John J. Robinson Jr., April 22, 1999.
A biology major, John Robinson also attended Kansas State Univ. For 19 years he was a senior microbiologist for R.J.R. Nabisco and also worked for Papetti’s Egg Products in Elizabeth, N.J. An Eagle Scout and youth counselor, he was a volunteer at Bates for minority student weekend. John Robinson is survived by a sister, Kim Williams Shular, a niece and two nephews.
Patrick J. Collins, April 6, 1999.
A dean’s list student, physics major, four-year letterman in football and baseball, Patrick Collins also served in the Career Discovery Internship Program and as a class agent for the Alumni Fund. He earned his M.B.A. at Worcester Polytech. An engineer and production manager in Holliston at Corion Optics, he also had been associate director of development for Spectrum Addiction Services in Westboro. Most recently he was plant manager at EMC Corp.’s new manufacturing facility in Franklin. He was a member of St. Luke the Evangelist Church. Patrick Collins died at his Massachusetts home after a brief battle with cancer. He leaves his wife, Martha, whom he married in 1989, daughters Megan, Erin, and Brenna, his parents, and brothers Sean ’90 and Brendon.
The following deaths recently have become known to the College:
1929 Hazel Blanchard Prosser, Sept. 5, 1999. Maynard B. Colley, Oct. 6, 1999. 1937 Elizabeth MacDonald Milliken Reed, Sept. 29, 1999. 1940 Douglas E. Bragdon, Oct. 4. 1999. 1941 Louise R. Hanley, Aug. 12, 1999. 1955 Faith Whiting Bartlett, Sept. 12, 1999. 1958 William D. Snider, Sept. 10, 1999. 1965 Michael A. Mathieu, Oct. 2, 1999.
Bates values a diverse College community. Moreover, Bates does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital or parental status, age, or disability in the recruitment and admission of students, in the administration of its educational policies and programs, or in the recruitment and employment of its faculty and staff.© Bates College 2000