Ruth Parker Anderson, June 16, 2000.
Ruth Parker Anderson, 105 at the time of her death, had attended Reunion as recently as 1990. A language and math major, she taught in New England high schools including Portsmouth, N.H., St. Johnsbury, Vt., and Manchester, Conn. She married Harry Anderson in 1938, and they lived in New York City, where she and her husband owned and operated the Kottmiller’s Flower Shop in the Hotel Roosevelt. They retired to Cromwell, Conn., where she served a term in the state Legislature from 1957 to 1958. She had an interesting and varied life, which included photographing and fingerprinting in a Maine state reformatory; being the first woman to fly with Harry Jones, a colleague of Amelia Earhart; and shooting a bear. In quieter moments, she enjoyed reading and was a Red Sox fan. In Cromwell she belonged to the historical society, the Home Club, and was a member of the First Congregational Church. Among her survivors are daughter Betty and son-in-law John Williams; grandson Henry; two great-grandchildren; and sisters Pauline P. DeVeber and Dorothy Parker Ludwick ’31.
Barbara Gould Kelley, May 4, 2000.
At the time of her death, Barbara Gould Kelley was 102 years old. In Connecticut she taught in Manchester and was a freshman English teacher in West Haven until she had children to care for. She spent her summers at their cabin in Holderness, N.H. She was an enthusiastic Red Sox fan. Surviving are sons David ’55, Thomas, and William; six grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
Mary Clifford Colley, Feb. 22, 2000.
A native of South Paris, Mary Clifford Colley was 101 at the time of her death. She attended Bates from 1918 to 1920. A homemaker, she was the mother of daughters Mary and Jane and son George Jr. For many years she lived in the Cleveland Heights (Ohio) area where she was active in the Civic Club and belonged to DAR. Daughter Jane wrote of her mother: “Over the years she has been very interested in hearing about the recipients of the Clifford Scholarship [established by Wallace Clifford ’08] and has enjoyed the personal letters from the students. I am sure it reminded her of the happy times she spent at Bates. The family is pleased to know that our mother’s family name will be remembered in the future because of the scholarship.” Mrs. Colley was predeceased by her husband, George, in 1976; brothers Wallace ’08, Earle ’15, Stephen ’18, Burton ’23; and sister Caroline ’11.
Helen Harriman Sannella, Aug. 18, 2000.
Age 101 at the time of her death, Helen Sannella was born in Dresden, Maine, and worked her way through Bates, including work at Grant’s downtown. Helen was a teacher for 39 years at the Clara Barton School in Oxford, Mass., where she taught grades one through 12, retiring in 1963. She was previously an elementary teacher in Hollis Center, Maine, for several years, and then was a school teacher at Douglas High School in East Douglas, Mass. She taught French at the Grafton Street Junior High School in Worcester, Mass., for 10 years before moving to Oxford, Mass., where she lived for 47 years before moving to the Masonic Home in 1988. She was a longtime member of the First Congregational Church in Oxford, where she was a former Sunday school teacher and had been active in the League of Services. She was a member of the National Retired Teachers Assn. and the Ebenezar Larnard Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Her husband, Frank Sannella ’26, died in 1982. She leaves a daughter, Leanne Tassicker of Melbourne, Australia; a niece, Phyllis Wadleigh of Denver, Colorado; a nephew, Richard Harriman ’49 of Bridgeport, Ill; and grandnieces and grandnephews. A son, Mark Sannella of Oxford, died in 1970.
Norman E. Ross, June 30, 2000.
Norman Ernest Ross, 101, treasurer emeritus who served the College for 44 years, was known for his careful management of Bates’ financial resources, his personal devotion to Bates community life, and his civic work in Lewiston and Auburn. “Norm Ross served Bates during demanding and formative periods of the College’s history,” said President Harward. “He never wavered in his stewardship of Bates’ resources, nor in his interest in the well-being of Bates people. He served Bates with distinction and honor, and is as responsible for the financial security of the College today as any one figure in our history.” “Norm” was born in Kennebunkport Aug. 7, 1898, the son of Ivory Stone and Florence Benson Ross. He graduated from Biddeford High School in 1917 and entered Bates that year. Commissioned as a second lieutenant during World War I, he served as a director of the Student Army Training Corps at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. He returned to Bates to earn his B.S. degree in physics and mathematics. After graduation, he was a teacher and coach at Brandon (Vt.) High School. In 1924, he was appointed assistant bursar at Bates and in 1928 became bursar and superintendent of grounds and buildings. He was named treasurer in 1963. Norm retired in 1968 and was awarded an honorary master of arts degree. He served as chairman of the New England group of the National Association of Educational Buyers. Norm was as watchful when issuing examination bluebooks to faculty as when overseeing college building projects. He personified the Bates tradition of thrift, once even trekking to Presque Isle in 1946 to buy a military-surplus potato peeler, refrigerator, and dish washer for a new kitchen in the Rand Hall. Yet he also aided many needy Bates students who had to be as careful with their finances as Bates had to be with its own. He found campus jobs for any student who needed one—from Hathorn Hall bell ringer to coal shoveler—and sought financial-aid gifts from local citizens when all else failed. “We knew all the kids and their backgrounds,” he once said. “I don’t believe we ever let a kid go home because he couldn’t pay a bill. No matter how tough the situation was, we wanted them to stay in college.” In 1924, he married Marjorie Pillsbury Ross ’23. The Rosses lived at 32 Frye St. near campus for 72 years, opening their home to Bates visitors and former students. He was a familiar figure at Bates athletic contests and served as an volunteer track official at Maine college meets for many years. The Rosses moved to Russell Park Rehabilitation and Living Center in 1994, and Marjorie Ross died Feb. 20, 1999. In January, Bates named the former Ross home, now a popular coffeehouse for Bates community members, the Norman E. and Marjorie P. Ross House. Norm was a member of the United Baptist Church of Lewiston for 70 years and served as deacon, trustee and Sunday school teacher. In 1941, he was elected to the board of trustees of the then-Central Maine General Hospital. During his more than half-century of service to the hospital, now Central Maine Medical Center, he served as chairman of the buildings and grounds committee, overseeing many hospital construction projects. He was the board’s chairman from 1960 to 1962. In 1991, coinciding with the 100th anniversary of CMMC’s opening, the hospital named its new 89,000-square-foot addition the Norman E. Ross Centennial Wing, in honor of his service to the hospital. Norm was elected a trustee of the Androscoggin Savings Bank in 1934 and served as president and chairman of the board. He was a member of the Masons, Ashlar Lodge, No. 105 A.F. and A.M. He is survived by nieces and nephews. Gifts in his memory support the Norman E. Ross ’22 and Marjorie Pillsbury Ross ’23 Endowed Fund, supporting the general purposes of the College.
Robert G. Wade Sr., March 19, 2000.
Robert G. Wade Sr., was “a remarkable man and an esteemed member of the Bates community. We remember his clarity of mind and the stories he told of his experiences that made the past so much a part of the life of those who heard them,” President Harward said. Well into his 90s, Bob Wade attended Bates events, bought his own groceries, and could be found walking the Auburn Mall area. He loved singing, from his Bates choir and glee club days to the present, where he was a member of the High Street Congregational Church Choir, the Androscoggin Chorale, the Temple Choir at Ocean Park where he had a summer cottage, and with L’Orpheon, Lewiston’s group of Franco-American men and he was very proud to be a member. He and his wife and classmate, the late Nelly Milliken Wade, traveled extensively around the world, and his favorite activities included watching birds, hunting, fishing, and politics. After graduating from Rockland High School in 1918 he enlisted in the Student Army Training Corps at Bates. He was discharged in December as the war ended and entered Bates in 1919. Always supportive of Bates since his graduation 76 years ago, he had been class president since 1978. Bob Wade attended Harvard School of Business Administration and worked in the insurance business in Boston until 1944 when he returned to Maine, where he was owner and president of the Morton, Hall and Rounds investment firm for more than 25 years. From 1954 to 1961 he represented Auburn in the Maine Legislature, as first floor leader of the House in his last term. A life director of Androscoggin Savings Bank, he had been a registered representative of Robert C. Carr & Co., in the 1970s. He was a member of Kiwanis, National Assn. of Securities Dealers, AF&AM, Scottish Rite of Portland Consistory, and Kora Temple Shrine, Lewiston. Survivors include two sons, Trustee emeritus Robert Jr.’50 and Charles; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. He was predeceased by brother Bill Wade ’34, sister Carol Wade McKinney ’37, and sister-in-law Edith Milliken Wade ’36.
Ruth Barber Kinney, Nov. 7, 1999.
Following graduation, Ruth Barber Kinney taught for a year each at Belgrade High School and in Attleboro, Mass. She then joined the faculty of Gardiner (Maine) High School, retiring in 1966 as head of the French department. She also had taken summer school courses at Colby, UMaine-Orono, and Boston Univ. During World War II she was a welder at Bath Iron Works. She made several cross-country trips, spending three months in California at one time. Listening to music and knitting were favorite pastimes. She leaves daughters Bethany, Barbara, Alice, Mary, Ruth and their husbands; daughter-in-law Louise Kinney; 12 grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren. Husband Edwin; son David; and grandson Stephen predeceased her.
Alice Swanson Esty, July 21, 2000.
Herself an accomplished musician, Alice Swanson Esty encouraged young composers with commissions to write new vocal music. Early in her career she earned money for vocal lessons by modeling in the New York City garment district. She acted in the Strasburg Group Theater and the Provincetown Playhouse and performed in Broadway in Come of Age and L’Aiglon. She studied the visual arts, gave annual concerts including a 1959 recital in Paris with songs by Poulenc and Copland commissioned particularly for her, and performed in concerts at Carnegie Hall. She served on the faculty of Juilliard School of Music and helped the New York and Lincoln Center chamber music societies. Mrs. Esty gave the College most of the commissioned songs; she also endowed a professorship in the Department of Music now held by William Matthews and a fund to support the orchestral programs. Predeceased by her husband, William, in 1954, she leaves daughter Julia and son Edward and grandson E. Scott Esty ’92, an accomplished violinist. The week before her death, she listened to music by her grandson and pianist Duncan Cumming ’93 who played for her in her apartment.
Anne Leavitt Hall, October 9, 1999.
A graduate of Westbrook Seminary and Bates, Anne Leavitt Hall also studied at Boston Univ. and UMaine–Orono. In 1928 she began teaching Latin and French at Kennebunk High School. During the 1950s she also was dean of girls and a guidance counselor there. A member of Maine Teachers Assn. and Delta Kappa Gamma, an honorary teaching society, she belonged to Christ Church. Survivors include daughter Betsy H. Domato; granddaughter Alyson Domato; and several cousins. Her husband, Milton, whom she married in 1930, predeceased her.
Alice Aikins Boothby, Nov. 27, 1999.
A member of the Bates Key, Alice Aikins Boothby was the youngest of eight children and one of four who attended Bates. Prior to her marriage in 1930 to Albert C. Boothby Sr., she was director of religious education and youth work at Immanuel Baptist Church, Portland, and a Girl Reserve director at the Plainfield (N.J.) YWCA. She then owned and operated a nursery school at Tabor Academy and later was a housekeeping administrator at The Millbrook (N.Y.) School. Having taken courses to become a school librarian, she worked as elementary school librarian at the Arlington School in Poughkeepsie. After retiring, she and her husband built a home in Ocean Park and in 1971 she helped organize the local library in Old Orchard Beach, serving on the staff as well. Alice Boothby attended the Congregational Church in Saco. A former member of the State Steering Committee of Common Cause, she was president of the Ocean Park Bates Alumni Assn. in 1958. She enjoyed tennis, golf, and the Boston Celtics. Survivors include daughters Alison and Anne, son Albert Jr., and their spouses; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. She was predeceased by her husband in 1977; grandson Keith in 1993; brothers Lincoln ’19 and William ’15; and sisters Ellen ’17 and Emily.
Arthur G. Brown, Aug. 15, 2000.
Arthur Brown of Wickford, R.I., born in New Sharon, Maine, and was a physics major and a runner on the track team at Bates. After graduation, he taught for a year in Lisbon before moving to Rhode Island to teach in North Kingstown High School. He became the principal of North Kingstown Junior High School, from which he retired in 1968 after 38 years with the school system. He was a member and past master of Washington Lodge #5 AF&AM in North Kingstown and was the original commander of the North Kingstown Ambulance Corps. Predeceased by wife Nathalie Benson Brown ’27, he is survived by sons Robert of North Kingstown and Laurence ’66 of South Windsor, Conn., and daughter Sally L. DeMars of Pensacola, Fla. He is also survived by three sisters, Shirley Kilbourne ’29 of Topsham, Maine; Ruth Dickinson of Skowhegan, Maine, and Irene Fairfield of Augusta, Maine; 10 grandchildren; 19 great-grandchildren; and four great-great-grandchildren.
Elizabeth Jordan Moore, Jan. 12, 2000.
After she graduated from Bates, Elizabeth Jordan Moore taught at the Blanche Kellogg Institute in Santurce, Puerto Rico. For several years she worked at Jordan Marsh in Boston and Stuart’s Women’s Shop in Wellesley. In 1939 she was an assistant buyer at I. Magnin Co. of San Francisco. In recent years she lived mainly in Chapola, Mexico, and spent time in Camarillo, Calif. Among her survivors are son John and his family and daughter Dian and her family. Her husband, John, predeceased her in 1980.
Ruth E. Moses, March 5, 2000.
Following graduation from Bates, Ruth Moses was an assistant librarian at Teachers College, Columbia Univ. She earned a B.S. from Columbia in 1930. She continued her career as a librarian at the New York State Library from 1969 to 1973. Her sister-in-law, Martha Moses, survives as do niece Charlotte Jury and several grand-nieces and -nephews.
Elizabeth Shorey, April 25, 2000.
For 40 years Elizabeth Shorey taught high school math, first at Casco and Westbrook high schools then at Lewis High School in Southington, Conn., where she was head of the math department and advisor to the prize-winning student newspaper. She retired in 1967. A lifelong Mariner Girl Scout leader, she also was president of the Connecticut Press Assn., of which the school paper was a member. A world traveler, Elizabeth Shorey made trips under Youth Hostel sponsorship and with nature and wildlife organizations. She took several safari-type tours in Africa and went on a ship-based expedition to Antarctica, a dog-sled trek into northern Canada, and three different river rafting outings along the Colorado River and its tributaries. She had visited the British Isles, Greece, Scandinavia, Japan, China, and South America and had a van converted for travel across the country. She spent her summers in recent years at her island camp on Highland Lake in Bridgton. Among her survivors are brother Henry Shorey; nephew Stephen and niece Mary Elizabeth; and grandnieces Carolyn and Patricia.
Olive Wagner Driver, June 8, 2000.
A cum laude graduate with honors in biology, Olive Wagner Driver was a member of the Bates Key and Sigma Xi. She earned her master’s at the Univ. of Illinois, where she also was an instructor. In Northampton, Mass., she taught at the Clark School for the Deaf and the School for Girls; at Smith College, she was an assistant in the biology laboratory. She retired in 1969. She published several volumes of poetry including The New England Sketches, New England Moods, and the Boston Herald regularly included her poems. Mrs. Driver wrote extensively on the question of Shakespearean authorship in The Bacon Shakespearean Mystery, The Shakespearean Portraits, and other articles in Nation on cancer. She was a member of the Society of Baconiana of Buckingham, England, and the Francis Bacon Society of London. She belonged to the Unitarian-Universalist Christian Fellowship and Eastern Star. A daughter, Beverly W. Eddy, survives. Her husband, Professor Ernest C. Driver, predeceased her in 1989 as did their son, Colin, in 1999.
Henry W. Littlefield, L.L.D. ’64, May 6, 2000.
Henry Littlefield attended Bates for two years, earned B.S. and master’s from New York Univ., and a Ph.D. from Yale in 1940. A lifetime educator, in 1929 at Orange (Mass.) High School he was head of the history department and assistant principal. In Orange he also was trustee of the local library and president of the community forum. He chaired the social studies department at Hamden (Conn.) High School, was assistant principal and later headed the history department there. In the 1950s he became president of the Univ. of Bridgeport, retiring in 1970. Active in educational organizations, Henry Littlefield had been president of both the Connecticut Social Studies Assn. and the New England Assn. of Colleges and Secondary Schools. From 1962 to 1970 he served as vice president and consulting editor for the Dana Foundation and was director of the Bridgeport Chamber of Commerce. The author of articles in professional journals, he published The Outline of History of Europe from 1815 to 1936 and was director of Littlefield-Adams Publishing Co. in New York and Ames, Iowa. A member of Kiwanis and the Mayflower Society, he received the NYU Distinguished Alumni Award in 1962 and was honored in 1968 as “one of the most influential men in Bridgeport.” He leaves his wife, Jeanie, son Henry Jr., and daughter Jeanie Mae. A son, Bruce, predeceased him in 1957.
Lucy Lundell Billings, Feb. 18, 2000.
For several years, Latin major Lucy Lundell Billings was a language teacher. She first taught French and Latin at Rockport (Maine) High School then headed the Latin department at Laconia (N.H.) High School. After her 1935 marriage to Ronald G. Billings, she was a homemaker and mother. In later years she substituted in the schools of Longmeadow, Mass. She was a member of First Church of Christ Scientist and a longtime member of Longmeadow Square Dance Club. Survivors include daughters Linda Toomey, Marilyn Morse, and Cynthia Saltzgiver; four grandchildren, including Sharon Saltzgiver Wright ’83; and eight great-grandchildren. Her husband predeceased her in 1981.
Constance Chesley Kimball, Oct. 21, 1999.
After she graduated, Constance Chesley Kimball attended Hickox Secretarial School. She married Carl R. Kimball ’32 and was a homemaker and mother of son Earl and daughter Jane. Bates relatives include sister Ruth Chesley Bonney ’27 and brother-in-law Linwood Bonney ’27; and nieces Barbara Bonney Akerman ’62 and Priscilla Bonney-Smith ’65. Her husband predeceased her in 1981.
Bernice Burnham Lobdell, May 7, 2000.
Bernice Burnham Lobdell, a member of Phi Sigma Iota, earned a Degre Normal at the Sorbonne in 1936 and later also took courses at Salem State,Tufts, and Harvard. She taught French in Bowdoinham, Maine; Portsmouth, N.H.; and Stoneham, Mass. For several years she served as executive director of Girl Scouts in Woburn, then returned to teaching French and Latin in Reading (Mass.) junior and senior high schools. Active in Stoneham and Reading organizations, she was past president of the Stoneham Woman’s Club and belonged to Garden and College clubs, historical societies, DAR, and Eastern Star. She was a member of several professional associations including the American Assn. of Teachers of French, Modern Language Assn., and New England Classical Assn. She belonged to the Reading Congregational Church. Following her retirement from teaching, Bernice Lobdell gave talks and book reviews to various organizations. Among her survivors are daughter Nancy ’73 and son-in-law Marwan Kouki; three grandchildren; and nieces and nephews. Her husband, Winston, whom she married in 1938, predeceased her.
Marjorie Goodbout Hovgard, July 1, 2000.
A member of the Bates Key, Marjorie Goodbout Hovgard earned her master’s at New York Univ. in 1934 and was an honorary member of the NYU School of Retailing. She worked in retailing at B. Altman and John Wanamaker, then became office manager at the New York Chapter of the American Institute of Banking. At Bates she served a term on the Board of Overseers, was a member of 1933’s Reunion Gift Committee, and established a scholarship fund at the College. Her husband was the late Carl Hovgard.
Florence Ogden Manter, May 14, 2000.
Like many students of her generation, Florence Ogden Manter worked her way through Bates by waiting on tables. She worked at Macy’s while husband John ’31 was in medical school at Columbia and in the late 1930s they moved to South Dakota where she was a homemaker and mother. Later, in Augusta, Ga., she was a member of the faculty wives club at the Medical College of Georgia where her husband was a professor of neuroanatomy. Following his death, she worked in the biochemistry department at the Medical College and raised and educated her children. Florence Manter was a member of Reid Memorial Church, interested in crafts, the book club, bridge, the symphony, and loved plants and nature. In later years she traveled to England, France, and Greece. Her daughter wrote that “her indomitable spirit continues to live in her children, four grandchildren and a great-grandson.” Her children are Carol, Mary, and John.
Frank S. Murray, July 6, 2000.
A summa cum laude graduate, Frank Murray was a renowned international debater and class president for three years. Born in Jerusalem into a mission family, he was a lifelong member of the Kingdom, the Christian evangelical movement founded by Frank Sandford 1886. With his brilliant intellect, powerful abilities as a public speaker, and abiding concern for others, many hoped Frank Murray would enter public service or politics. But he often said with a smile that he “carelessly threw away the present to be sure of the future,” and devoted his entire life to the Kingdom and its ministry. After graduation Frank began full-time ministry with the Kingdom as pastor and evangelist, Bible teacher, and author and editor of church publications. He established the Fair Haven Chapel in Essex, Mass., where he also was active in community affairs and in maritime affairs. For 36 years Frank Murray captained the Kingdom’s missionary yacht, The Coronet, on 85 coastal cruises. During World War II he served in the U.S. Navy as a quartermaster. Semi-retired in New Hampshire and Connecticut, he served on the Ledyard Library Commission and in town affairs. In 1989, he took a prayer journey around the world. A writer and editor of staggering faithfulness and precision, for 53 years Frank Murray edited the Kingdom publications, The College World and The Standard, wrote All Israel Restored and a major history of the Kingdom, The Sublimity of Faith, and published a collection of essays on Lessons My Pastor Taught Me. Among his survivors are his wife, Arlene Sweet Murray ’49; sons David and Timothy ’68; eight grandchildren; a great-grandchild; and sister Mildred. He was predeceased by his first wife, Lois, in 1989, and sisters Jean Murray Godfrey ’35 and Helen. His brother, Victor ’33, has recently died.
Thurlie Additon Smith, Dec. 27, 1999.
Maine native Thurlie Additon Smith taught English in several Maine high schools, including Norridgewock, Rockland, and Southwest Harbor, as well as at Edward Little in Auburn; she also was head of the English department at Lincoln Academy in Newcastle, taught English at Concord (N.H.) High School, and studied in the master’s program at Boston Univ. After her marriage to Willard Smith in 1946, she lived in Beverly, Mass., where she chaired the Beverly College Club program committee and served as secretary of the PTA and Sunday school superintendent. In 1961 she was assistant to the librarian at the Weston (Mass.) Public Library and the following year she enrolled at the Univ. of South Florida for a semester. After the death of her husband in 1964, Thurlie Smith taught English and coached debating at Lawrence (Mass.) High School and held a similar position in Fairfield in 1977. A member of Maine Council of Teachers of English and the Modern Language Assn., she was a deacon in the Westminster Presbyterian Church and a member of the Women’s Society. She leaves son Donald and daughters Dorothy and Lois; seven grandchildren; and sister Erma Mower.
Frances Eckhardt Turner, June 29, 2000.
A member of the Bates Key, Frances Eckhardt Turner taught school in New Hampshire at Center Sandwich and Hopkinton until her marriage to R. William Turner in 1938. They taught at Suffield (Conn.) Academy and ran the Emerson School in Exeter, N.H., where she taught English and French, directed the glee club, and was a remedial reading specialist. She earned an M.Ed. at UNH in 1950. During the summer from 1950 to 1971, the Turners lived at Quillcote in Hollis Center, the former home of Kate Douglas Wiggin, where they ran the summer school and camp, one of the first of its kind. Following the death of her husband in 1970, she summered at Quillcote and wintered in Barefoot Bay, Fla., until 1997 when she moved to Gorham House. A member of Trinity Episcopal Church of Saco, she belonged to Portsmouth College Club, AAUW, and NEA. Frances Eckhardt Turner took many Elderhostel trips with interests also in music and literature. Survivors include son R. William Turner Jr. ’64, daughter Virginia, and stepson James Turner; four grandsons; and six great-grandchildren.
H. Gale Freeman, June 3, 2000.
After graduating from Bates, Gale Freeman worked at W.T. Grant in Fort Wayne, Ind., Altoona, Pa., and in Boston. For 12 years he was an office manager and accounting supervisor in the Rock Falls, Ill., division of Chicago Metal Hose Corp. In 1955 he became purchasing agent and cost accountant at Northwestern Steel and Wire Co. in Sterling, a company he served for 27 years. He retired in 1979. He and his wife, Jane (Warren ’39) moved to Daytona Beach, Fla., where they were active in their condominium association. They celebrated their 63rd wedding anniversary on Valentine’s Day. She survives as do sons Robert and Richard and five grandchildren.
Philip C. Laffin, Dec. 5, 1999.
Philip Laffin attended Maine Central Institute and was at Bates for a year. He played football at both schools. For 42 years he was a supervisor at S.D. Warren Co. in Westbrook. After he retired in 1973 he operated a home-based printing business. Active in the Democratic Party at state and local levels, he had been Westbrook city treasurer and served on the school committee. His wife, Mercedes, survives as do sons Carl and Alan and daughters Barbara, Janet, and Norma; and eight grandchildren.
Francis W. Manning, Oct. 15, 1999.
After graduation Francis Manning was assistant football coach at Bates for two seasons. He worked for the Michigan state Department of Health as a sanitary engineer, then earned his master’s in public health at the Univ. of Michigan in 1941. He also had studied at MIT. He was owner and operator of Thatcher Dairy Farm in Milton, Mass. with his brother, retiring in 1988. A lifelong resident of Milton, Frank Manning was registrar of voters there for 50 years. He maintained interests in ranching, farming, and agriculture throughout his life. He leaves his wife, Marion, whom he married in 1939; daughters Martha, Kate, Ellen, and Frances and their husbands; and eight grandchildren.
Frank Merrill, May 29, 2000.
Frank Merrill served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He worked in the textile industry at Bigelow Sanford Carpet Co., as a dyer and later was personnel manager at Textile Print Co., Bondsville, Mass. Prior to his retirement in 1978, he worked in human resources for the city of Worcester as area executive for the American Heart Assn. He and his wife, Rose, ran The Dutch Cupboard Gift Shop at their home, producing Pennsylvania Dutch items. A member of Park Congregational Church, he was active in Masonic organizations—twice master of Quinsigamond Lodge and past master of Major General Henry Knox Lodge in Boston—and a member of Boylston Lodge and Scottish Rite bodies of Worcester. He leaves his wife, Rose, whom he married in 1942; two nieces; and several grandnieces and -nephews.
Maxim Scolnik, Jan. 24, 2000.
A lawyer who first practiced in Lewiston, Max Scolnik earned his LL.B. from Boston Univ. in 1939. During World War II he served in the European theater from 1942 to 1945. For the rest of his career he was in the Washington, D.C., area, where he worked in the adjudication division of the Veterans Administration, specializing in compensation and pension service in the Central Office. He was a member of county and state bar associations. Devoted to son Al, daughters Joyce, Frances, and Reva, and his eight grandchildren, he was predeceased by his wife, Eleanor, whom he married in 1945; grandson Aaron; and sister Helen Scolnik Hurwitch ’41.
David C. Whitehouse, April 2, 2000.
David Whitehouse was elected to College Club and Delta Sigma Rho forensic society and earned his M.B.A. from Harvard in 1938. He served as class treasurer and chaired the 50th Reunion Gift Committee which presented the College with a record-breaking class gift. In 1985 he and his wife endowed the Whitehouse Professorship Fund and the family donated its extensive collection of pre-Columbian art to Bates. Following work at the Talon Co. in Meadville, Pa., he worked for the Container Corp. of America as general manager of plants in Massachusetts and then division manager and vice president at the Los Altos Hills (Calif.) plant. He was manager of Venezuelan subsidiaries in Caracas until 1975 when he became vice president and antitrust compliance officer in Chicago. Upon retirement in 1978, David and Connie Whitehouse moved to Napa, Calif. While in the Boston area he had chaired both the Stoneham school committee, the junior high school building committee, and headed the First Congregational Church building committee. A member of King Cyrus Lodge and Aleppo Shrine, he was a director of the Venezuelan American Chamber of Commerce and member of Moviemento De Education Popular and the North American Society of Venezuela. For many years Dave Whitehouse returned regularly to Maine to hunt and fish with close friends and visit the College. His survivors include daughters Susan and Janet, sons Stephen and David Jr. ’67, and their spouses; and eleven grandchildren. His wife, Connie, whom he married in 1939, predeceased him on March 27, 2000.
Truman A. Day, April 12, 2000.
After he attended Bates for two years, Truman Day worked on the family farm until World War II when he served in the U.S. Army. For 21 years he then worked in the fabrication department of the U.S. Gypsum Mill in Lisbon Falls. He was a member of Lisbon Falls Baptist Church. Among his many interests were lake and deep-sea fishing, hunting, and operating his CB. He leaves his wife, Elizabeth; sons Ralph, Frank, and Arthur and their spouses; three grandchildren; and a great-grandson. A daughter and stepson predeceased him.
J. Edward Harvey, Feb. 12, 2000.
A French major, J. Edward Harvey was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and was a member of Phi Sigma Iota. He earned master’s degrees from Middlebury and Harvard and his Ph.D. in 1952 from Harvard. Following a year as teacher at the Lycee David d’Angiers in Loire, France, he taught French and history at Rochester (N.H.) High School. In 1948 he joined the faculty of Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio, where he remained until his retirement in 1987. During those years, he was named the Samuel Mather Professor of French Language and Literature, teaching French and occasionally Spanish or Italian. Founder of the International Conference on 17th-Century French Literaure, his area of expertise, he also was founder of the Advanced Placement Program in French. In 1966 and 1977, he directed the Sweet Briar Junior College’s foreign study program in Paris and earlier taught in the summer at Colby and Colorado colleges. When he retired as a senior faculty member after 39 years at Kenyon, the College awarded him an honorary L.H.D. An advisor to students on their college careers, especially in language, he also helped clarify the role of athletics on campus life for which he received the William A. Long Memorial Award. For his support of the Black Student Union, he also received awards for his support of minority students in 1990 and 1993. He was a founding member of the local NAACP Chapter and active in the Knox County community as chair of the Democratic central and executive committees. Author of many published articles and reviews, he contributed to the Columbia Directory of Modern European Literature. He belonged to the Modern Language Assn. of America, American Assn. of Teachers of French and Italian, and AAUP. Among his survivors are his wife, Alice; daughters Diane and Janet and son James; five grandchildren; a great-grandson; and his brother, Raymond ’42. He was predeceased by daughter Diane, brother Robert ’38, and sisters-in-law Jan Harvey and Annette (Gorham ’37).
Carol Wade McKinney, April 24, 2000.
A member of the Bates Key and Delta Phi Alpha, Carol Wade McKinney served as class secretary from 1937 to 1942. She married Robert McKinney in 1942 and was a homemaker until the early 1960s when she taught in the elementary school of Webster Groves, Mo., for 18 years. She earned her M.A.T. from Webster College in 1988 and belonged to local and state teachers associations. A member of Webster Groves Presbyterian Church, Carol McKinney served as deacon, elder, Stephen Minister, and chaired the church office guild. She was corresponding secretary of the board of the civic symphony, a guide at the historic Hawken House, and a director of the local Meals-on-Wheels. Her many interests included visiting her family stationed in Colorado, Washington, Alaska, and Missouri, as well as volunteer activities, tennis, golf, reading, bridge, and attending Elderhostels in Scandinavia and Great Britain. Among her survivors are daughters Susan and Martha and sons Robert Jr. and John; 13 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. She was predeceased by her husband in 1979 and brothers and their wives: William ’34 and Edith Milliken Wade ’36, and Robert Sr. ’23 and Nelly Milliken Wade ’23.
Allan J. Bertrand, Sept. 11, 1999.
An English major, Allan Bertrand taught at Bridgton and Wilbraham academies. Following service in the U.S. Army as an interviewer and classifier during World War II, he returned to Wilbraham until 1944 when he became an English teacher at Peterborough (N.H.) High School and was town librarian there for 10 years. In 1969 he directed the resource center at Franklin Pierce College in the audio-visual department and language laboratory, retiring in 1977. He did graduate work at the Breadloaf School of English at Middlebury and at Clark, Boston Univ., and the Univ. of Oklahoma. For the past 23 years he lived in Dublin, N.H. He leaves niece Elizabeth Milne and nephew Walker Bertrand, and close friend Douglas Harris.
W. Parnel Bray, June 14, 2000.
Parnel Bray was a member of the Bates Key. An active alumna, she served on the executive committee of the Alumni Assn. from 1947 to 1949 and as class president, Alumni Fund class agent, and an officer and advisor for the New York Alumni Club. She was a social worker at the Church of All Nations Neighborhood under Dr. Thelma Burdick, serving on its board and on the board of Rochdale Cooperative Home Inc. A personnel counselor and employment interviewer in the service department of the Bell Telephone Lab in New York City, she later transferred to Bell Labs as administrative specialist in the benefit department of the personnel division. She retired in 1973. She was a member of American Telephone Pioneers and Springfield (N.J.) Emanuel United Methodist Church as well as Senior Citizens treasurer and a volunteer for Meals-on-Wheels. Her many interests included photography, philately, painting, and music. A sister, Joan Bray, and two nieces and a nephew survive. Sister Harriette predeceased her.
Susan L. Chandler, April 15, 2000.
Susan Chandler attended Bates for two years and was a member of the College choir. After going to business college, she then worked in the Brunswick Public Library and at the College Bookstore owned by her father. For 15 years she was employed at Brunswick Naval Air Station. A music lover, she sang in local churches and also volunteered at Parkview Hospital.
Nedra Small Flaker, Oct. 12, 1999.
A cum laude graduate and elected to Phi Beta Kappa, Nedra Small Flaker also was a member of Delta Kappa Gamma. She earned her master’s at Boston Univ. in 1939 and later studied at Columbia and American universities as well as UNH. During her 38-year career, she taught social science at Spaulding High School in Rochester, N.H., where she served as head of the department for 18 years, retiring in 1978. In 1953 she was head of the drama section of the New Hampshire Social Studies Council; she belonged to the state Social Studies Council, National Council of Social Studies Teachers, and local, state, and national teachers associations. Nedra Small Flaker was a member of Rochester Historical Assn., the Frisbie Memorial Hospital Auxiliary, the Silver Squares of Durham, and was a volunteer for Friends of the Library. She leaves nine step-grandchildren, three step-great-grandsons, and a cousin. Her husband, Roy, whom she married in 1953, predeceased her in 1980 as did two stepsons and a step great-grandaughter.
Roy E. Haberland, Feb. 8, 2000.
Following his graduation, Roy Haberland worked in the claims department of American Mutual Ins. Co. in Boston. During World War II he served as a lietenant in the U.S. Navy. He then was in sales with the Hartford Accident and Indemnity Co. in Hartford, Conn. In the 1960s he was field sales manager at Seamless Rubber Co. in New Haven. When he retired in 1986 he had been with Shuford Mills Inc. in Hickory, N.C. For 15 years the Roy Haberlands lived in Port St. Lucie, Fla. He was a member of All Saints Episcopal Church of Jensen Beach. His wife, Ruth, wrote that “he was so proud of being an alumnus of Bates and had great memories of his four years there.” She survives as do son Peter ’66 and daughter-in-law Carol Stone Haberland ’66, sons Dana and Jay and their spouses; five grandchildren; and sister Thelma Spinner.
Jordan D. Lippner, Dec. 3, 1999.
Jordan Lippner served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He became a member of the New York bar in 1948, opening his own practice. An attorney for Landis Sewerage Authority, he also had been a stockbroker and an accountant at Reynolds Co. He belonged to the North Italy Club and Diamond Social Club. Among his survivors are a stepdaughter; two step-grandchildren; sister Emily Boxer and brother Henry Hansen; and several nieces and neophews. His wife, Betty, predeceased him.
G. Allan Rollins, Dec. 31, 1999.
An economics and sociology major, G. Allan Rollins served during World War II and was a captain in the 377th infantry regiment on D-Day. He continued his affiliation with the military as 1946 junior vice commander of the VFW Assn. in Redwood City, Calif. After the war he earned a B.S. in business administration at Menlo College. He owned a furniture refinishing and antique business and was involved with Rollins Realty Ins. Throughout his life, Allan Rollins was involved in community activities. He worked with the PTA, YMCA, Little League, Pop Warner football teams, senior softball, and directed the local Police Youth Club. The American Legion selected him as Outstanding Citizen for 1992 and he was 1995 Citizen of the Year in Redwood City. He volunteered at the Senior Center and organized recreational programs for veterans at the Palo Alto VA Hospital. “Keep active, don’t vegetate” was his watchword. He leaves sons George, David, Richard, and William and daughters Alice and Mary. His wife, Vivian, predeceased him in 1995.
Cynthia E. Foster, Jan. 11, 2000.
An English major, Cynthia Foster was skilled in all forms of artistic expression: oil painting, wood carving, and writing poetry. She was a medical illustrator in Boston, a medical artist in Fort Wayne, Ind., and a cartographer in Washington, D.C. In the late 1940s, she worked at Alexander Blaine Hospital in Detroit and was head artist at the Univ. of Alabama Medical School. In 1950 she published a book of poetry, Swords into Ploughshares. Later she devoted her life as a caregiver for her parents, a brother, and aunt. She was an enthusiastic gardener, served as librarian at New Pond Village in Walpole, Mass., and enjoyed mystery novels. She had no survivors. Her classmate and close friend, Selma Bliss Clark, wrote, “In her quiet and unassuming manner, she found many ways to make this world a more pleasant place.”
Robert S. Backer, Feb. 23, 2000.
Robert Backer attended Bates and Rutgers and was a test pilot during World War II, serving in the U.S. Air Force from 1942 to 1946. A member of the USAF Reserves until 1952, he belonged to the Arizona National Guard from 1952 to 1958. Working first for Aetna Casualty Corp. in Hartford, Conn., he then was a special agent in Denver, worked in Phoenix as a special agent for the Southwest General Agency and was an agent for Allstate. In 1956 he became a partner with the Hart, Ballard & Backer Insurance Agency, retiring in 1986. Survivors include his wife, Martha; daughter Christine and son Robert and their spouses; and five grandhildren.
Benjamin Matzilevich, Jan. 10, 2000.
Benjamin Matzilevich received his M.D. from Tufts Univ. and was first in the class of 1946. Serving in World War II he was captain and chief of medical services in Fort Belvoir, Va. During his career, he was a fellow in neuropathology at Columbia Presbyterian Hospital for two years, taught neurology at Harvard Medical School, was a clinical associate in pediatrics at Boston Univ., practiced at Mass. General and Newton-Wellesley hospitals, and had been a staff physician and head of the epileptic department at the Veterans Hospital in 1953. For 21 years he was the clinical director at Walter Fernald State School and served four terms as a trustee of Harvard Countway Boston Medical Library. Dr. Matzilewich received a 25-year faculty honor from Harvard. He was a diplomate of the National Board of Medical Examiners and, for several years, served as Middlesex County medical examiner, working with state and local police on investigations of high-profile crimes. Author of a book on mental retardation, he was interested in ancient and medieval cultures and a recognized numismatist. Among his survivors are Catherine, his wife of 54 years, sons Benjamin, John, and David and daughters Catherine and Monica and their spouses; and seven grandchildren. Children Thomas and Kathleen predeceased him.
Elizabeth Lee Jewell Ballard, July 12, 2000.
Throughout her life, Lee Jewell Ballard served social agencies concerned with families and children, first at the Mass. Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Children from 1945 to 1948. In the 1970s and 1980s she was executive director of the Portsmouth (N.H.) Homemaker Home Health Aide Service. Past president of the board of Seacoast Hospice and a volunteer at A Safe Place youth shelter in Portsmouth, she was founder of the Area Home Care and Family Services (AHCFS) and was still active as officer and board member after she retired. She was a member and former religious education coordinator of the Unitarian-Universalist Church. In 1998 the AHCFS dedicated their office to her as The Ballard Building. In 1999 the United Way presented her with the Lockhart Memorial Award for her civic work in the Portsmouth area. A member of League of Women Voters, YWCA, and Hospital Guild, she was past president of PTA, chair of local UNICEF chapter, and belonged to the National Council of Homemaker Home Health Committee. She leaves daughter Anne and son Bruce; four grandchildren; brother Malcolm ’42 and sister-in-law Lucille (Leonard ’42); and niece Nina Jewell Mendall ’65. Her husband, Vernon, predeceased her in 1989. She was the daughter of the late John Jewell ’09.
Albert J. Angelosante Jr., May 25, 2000.
A graduate of Hebron Academy, Albert Angelosante enrolled at Bates where he excelled in athletics and was a member of the football team that played in the Glass Bowl of 1946. He left Bates for Columbia Univ. to earn a commission as an ensign in the U.S. Navy, serving aboard the U.S.S. LSM 158 in the Pacific theater. After he returned to complete his degree at Bates, he was teacher and coach at Brewer High School. In 1950 he moved to Fairfield, Conn., where he taught advanced math and coached football and basketball. He earned a master’s from the Univ. of Maine at Portland–Gorham (now USM) in 1967. During the summers, Mr. Angelosante worked in his hometown of Old Orchard Beach at the local post office. After he retired from teaching in the 1970s, he became a permanent postal employee there. A member of St. Margaret’s parish, he belonged to the American Legion, VFW, and formerly was a member of the Elks. He is survived by sister Louise and brother Attillo; and several nieces and nephews.
Earle L. Fox, Jan. 31, 2000.
Earle L. Fox served in the U.S. Air Force from 1943 to 1946. He taught at the Univ. of Maine Phippsburg Center, then in Houlton. He was principal of Lee grammar school and an elementary school teacher in Portland and Waterville. In the late 1950s, he was head clerk at the Crescent Hotel in Waterville then joined the Justice Department in Washington, D.C. He retired in 1987 after 23 years in the Criminal Division. A sports fan, Earle kept Bath’s Morse High School basketball records from 1905 to 1999. He researched his Blake and Fox family genealogy from England and copied gravestone dates of many Revolutionary War people. The Blake Family Assn. elected him historian in 1988. He leaves brother Elmer and several cousins.
Paul F. Gryska, Oct 21, 1999.
Paul Gryska received his M.D. from Tufts Univ. He had been in the V-12 Unit at Bates and served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean conflict. After a stint at the U.S. Navy Hospital in San Diego, he was a leader in vascular surgery in Boston, training under Harvard’s Fifth Surgical Service and with heart transplant surgeon Michael DeBakey. He had been a member of the faculty at Harvard and Tufts medical schools and was chief of surgery at Newton-Wellesley Hospital from 1960 to 1993. A fellow of the American College of Surgeons, he belonged to Boston and New England surgical societies and the New England Vascular Society. For the past 30 years, Dr. Gryska also had been sea fleet surgeon for the Stage Hollow Yacht Club of Chatham. He leaves sons Paul, Peter, and John and daughter Gale; and eight grandchildren.
Cynthia Black Hall, April 29, 2000.
A biology major, Cynthia Black Hall taught at Tufts English School, then was a general scientist in the education department of Boston Museum of Science. In the 1970s she was director of the Charles Overly Studio in Harvard, Mass., which sells black and white sketches of college buildings. A nature lover and bird watcher, as a member of League of Women Voters she was active on conservation issues. She leaves her husband and classmate, Stanley ’49; daughters Kathryn and Susan and their spouses; five grandchildren; and two sisters and their husbands.
Donald C. Chalmers, March 20, 2000.
A history major, Donald Chalmers was in military service before he began work for H.P. Hood as a salesman in Portland and Boston and for Frank Shattuck Co., makers of Schrafft’s ice cream. In the 1970s he was a merchandiser for Hendries Ice Cream Co. in Milton, Mass., a retail frozen food distributor. In 1959 Mr. Chalmers retired to Yarmouthport, Mass. He leaves his wife, Norma and sons Thomas and Robert and daughter Susan. He was predeceased by his first wife, Dorothy, in 1984.
Malcolm B. Leslie, April 8, 2000.
During World War II Malcolm Leslie served with the U.S. Navy in the Pacific Theater. An electrical engineer at the Sanborn Co. in Waltham, Mass., he then owned two Ford automobile dealerships in Belmont and Woburn. For 10 years until he retired he was president of the former Marine Power Co. in Lunenberg, manufacturers of marine industrial engines. He was an enthusiastic sailor, having sailed throughout the Caribbean, and was director of the Hickory Hills Sailing Assn. in Lunenberg. He tutored migrant children in English and was an avid golfer and woodworker. A physics major at Bates, he played football and was billiard champion one year. Among his survivors are his wife of 50 years, Nancy Jepson Leslie ’49; sons Craig and Douglas and daughter Janet; and three grandchildren. A son, Bruce, died in 1985.
Allan R. Ross, May 1, 2000.
A math major, Allan Ross served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean conflict. He was a researcher at the Springfield (Mass.) F&M Insurance Co. until 1954 when he became a special agent at Aetna Insurance Co. Later he was a partner in R.B. Pomeroy real estate and insurance company in Westfield, Mass., and in 1974 co-owner of Court Realty, a commercial and real estate property company. A former director of Kiwanis, Mr. Ross was a member of the Chamber of Commerce, National Assn. of Realtors, Nabota Shrine, and Masons; he was past president of the Westfield Board of Realtors and director of Westfield 2000 Inc. and belonged to Western Hamden Historical Society and the Early American Industries Assn. Survivors include his wife, Barbara; sons David and Andrew; and several grandchildren.
Beverly Moody Eaton, June 13, 2000.
A cum laude graduate, Beverly Moody Eaton was elected to Phi Beta Kappa and the Bates Key. For many years she worked as a buyer for Jordan Marsh Co. in Boston and later at the Harvard Coop. In 1990 she retired to Waldoboro, where she had family ties, her uncle being owner of the famous Moody’s Diner. She volunteered more than 2000 hours of service to local organizations including Miles Memorial Hospital and the Round Top Center for the Arts in Damariscotta. She was an enthusiastc reader. Several cousins of the Percy Moody family survive.
Thelma Dowling Gaines, Dec. 1999.
For many years Thelma Dowling Gaines was a language teacher. She was a Fulbright scholar at the Sorbonne, earning a certificate in 1962 and received her master’s from Trinity College in 1975. She first taught at Island Pond, Vt., then moved to California, teaching French and Latin in Glendale at Theodore Roosevelt Junior High School and Hoover High School. She later chaired the foreign language department at Crescenta Valley High School. In the 1970s she was a special instructor in education at King’s College in Bristol, Tenn.; she also was a lecturer in French there and at East High School. She retired in 1992. Thelma Gaines served as president of the Southern California Bates Club from 1961 to 1968. She was a member of the American Assn. of Teachers of French, the American Council of Teachers of Foreign Language, and NEA. In 1982 the 1st Congressional District of Tennessee selected her as Foreign Language Teacher of the Year. She had served as president of the American Field Service Chapter and as vice president of the Appalachian Lung Assn. Survivors include her husband, John, whom she married in 1968; and daughters Jennifer and Susannah.
Louise Sweeney Cornell, Dec. 7, 1999.
A year after she graduated from Bates, Louise Sweeney Cornell was editor of women’s pages at the Berkshire Evening Eagle. She joined the New York Herald Tribune as an editor in 1963, then was a TV and film critic with the Christian Science Monitor until she was assigned to the Washington, D.C., office in 1966. She was a member of Fifth Church of Christ, Scientist, there. Survivors include two stepsons and two sisters. She had been married to Mark Cornell for five years. He predeceased her in 1998.
Morton A. Brody, March 25, 2000.
The Hon. Morton A. Brody was a member of Delta Sigma Rho and an international debater at Bates. While earning his J.D. at the Univ. of Chicago he also coached debating teams there. He first practiced law in Washington, D.C., then became a trial lawyer and partner with Levine, Brody and Levine in Waterville. Appointed to the Maine Superior Court in 1960, he then served as chief of the Superior Court for five years. In 1990 he was appointed to the Supreme Judicial Court and, in 1991, to the U.S. District Court of Maine by President Bush. Morton Brody had chaired the National Committee on Jury Standards and was a member of the Commission on Judicial Responsibility and the First Circuit Task Force on Gender, Race, and Ethical Bias. He chaired the Civil Justice Advisory Committee and the Advisory Rule Subcommittee, was an active member of the Judicial Council for the First Circuit Committee on Criminal Law and of the First Circuit Judicial Council. A longtime resident of Waterville, in 1981 Brody was selected as the Elm City’s Distinguished Citizen of the Year, by a community that he served in many ways: as city solicitor for six years, as past president of Boys and Girls Club, as corporator of Waterville Savings Bank and board member of Bank of Maine; he was past president and member of the board of directors at Beth Israel Congregation, and a former adjunct professor at Colby College. He belonged to local, county, and state bar associations and was a member of Phi Delta International Legal Fraternity. In Bates affairs, he served as an Overseer on the Bates Board of Trustees from 1996 to 1999. Survivors include his wife of 39 years, Judith Levine Brody; sons Ronald and John and daughter Elizabeth; four grandchildren; and a sister, Adele Brody Silverman ’57.
Janet Leonard Stranahan, June 21, 2000.
Janet Leonard Stranahan was a records clerk for the Vermont State Police and worked for New England Tel.&Tel. in Montpelier. She married Millard Stranahan in 1957 and for 38 years was an office manager in the State Police Records Division and in the department’s Criminal Information Center. An outdoor enthusiast, she was a member of the Mountain Tamers Snowmobile Club, the Vermont Assn. of Snow Travelers, and the Women’s Relief Corps in North Calais. Her interests also included her family genealogy, Vermont and Calais history, gardening, reading, and various kinds of handiwork. Her husband survives, as do a brother and sister; and several nieces, nephews, and cousins.
A. Christopher Ives, March 12, 2000.
The Rev. Christopher Ives received his S.T.B. from Boston Univ. School of Theology in 1961. While a student, he was pastor of the North Pownal Methodist Church and the First Parish Congregational Church in Pownal. After his ordination as an elder in the United Methodist Church, he was pastor of the Cox Memorial Church in Hallowell and the Maine Conference Director of Youth Work. For several years he served the United Methodist churches in New Hampshire: as executive secretary of the conference’s board of education, as pastor of the Littleton Church for seven years, and for six years at the Laconia/Gifford parish. A volunteer with Boy Scouts, he also had been active with the Wanakee United Methodist Center Camp in Meredith for 25 years. He served on the Grafton Country RSVP advisory board and chaired the board of Community Caregivers in Derry. In 1991 Christopher Ives became district superintendent of Northern New Hampshire, based in Concord, and in 1998 he joined the Crawford Memorial Church in Winchester, Mass., as pastor. He and his wife led three mission projects to Puerto Rico, helping repair hurricane damage to a children’s camp. He loved music and sang in church choirs. At their island cottage in Maine, the Ives family enjoyed sailing, picking blueberries, and visits from friends. He leaves his wife, Marilyn Macomber Ives ’59; sons C. Wayne, Gregory, and Scott and daughters Melissa and Sarah; and eight grandchildren.
Randolph E. Quint, May 6, 2000. A lifetime teacher and mentor to generations of students, Randolph Quint was head of the English department at Falmouth (Maine) High School. He taught for two years after graduation at Pemetic High School in Southwest Harbor, then studied for the East Africa project administered for the U.S. State Department by Teachers College, Columbia Univ. For three years Randy Quint taught college preparatory English at Mzumo Boys Secondary School in Tanzania, Africa. He married classmate Helene Marcoux in 1962 and they returned to Maine in 1964. During his 35-year career, he served as advisor to the senior class and the yearbook staff, and his students continued to keep in touch with him over the years. A member of the Maine Council of Teachers of English, he was on the National Certification Advisory Committtee for the state. Several years ago the Quints built a home on family land in Falmouth on Highland Lake, where he enjoyed the peace and quiet of nature, birds, flowers, and deer. His wife survives as do daughters Karen, Kerry, and Colleen ’85 and son-in-law William Hiss ’66; and three grandchildren.
Alan E. Clark, Dec. 6, 1999.
Following three years at Bates, Alan Clark studied at Harvard. He was general manager of The Stowe Players in Vermont. In 1975 he owned a theater management consultation business. He later was a publisher and writer for H.W. Wilson Co. in Cambridge, Mass. Most recently he was self-employed as an editor. He leaves an aunt and several cousins.
Miriam H. Weissmann, April 21, 2000. A French major, Miriam Weissmann spent her junior year abroad in Lausanne and she also studied at the United Nations International School in New York City. She took ceramics courses at Bates, which led to her career as a potter. For many years she taught at the Radcliffe College Ceramic Studio in Allston, Mass., where a scholarship has been established in her memory. She volunteered for many years at the Arnold Arboretum. Classmate Meg Streeter wrote that during the past two years, during her battle with metastatic breast cancer, “Mimi fully lived, creating more pottery and making new friends. She had the gift of a joyful, generous spirit, shared with all.” She and her husband, Dwight Fraser ’70, welcomed many Bates friends into their home for stays both short and extended over the last 30 years. Her husband survives along with a brother, Tom Patterson. A brother, Gordon, predeceased her.
Allen J. Hrycay, April 30, 2000.
Allen Hrycay majored in philosophy and earned his J.D. in 1979 from Univ. Maine School of Law. During the Vietnam War he served as a lance corporal in the U.S. Marines, receiving the National Defense Service Medal, Rifle Badge, and Certificate of Appreciation. From 1979 to 1998 he was a partner in the Portland (Maine) law firm of Reef, Jordan and Hrycay. Earlier he had been a paralegal involved in title searches, research, and drafting pleas, and was a law clerk in the governor’s office where he prepared legislative summaries. He was a member of the Maine and national bar and trial lawyers associations, and was licensed to practice law in the U.S. District Court of Maine and the First Circuit Court of Appeals. In 1999 he moved to West Springfield, Mass. A sister, Mary, survives.
Steven M. Seibel, Feb. 2, 2000.
Steven Seibel studied at Electronics Tech. in Rosemont, N.J. For 17 years he was technical marketing manager for Brooks Instruments, a music store in Hatfield, N.J., and he had been a sound man for an area rock band. In recent years he worked at Emerson Electric Co. in St. Louis, Mo. Survivors include his wife, the former Kathleen Hurley; stepson Zachary Hurley and stepdaughters Robin and Bridget Hurley.
David P. McPhedran, Feb. 20, 2000.
David McPhedran lost his life in an avalanche on Mount Washington. A beloved teacher at Maranacook High School since 1986, he championed the rights of students, especially the vulnerable ones. He coached eighth-grade soccer, advised the student senate, and directed the school’s co-op program, which placed students in jobs through a partnership combining classroom learning and outside work. A lover of the outdoors, David McPhedran was a skier, sailor, and bird watcher. He played viola with his family music ensemble. Following graduation he lived in Banks, Ore., for some time. He leaves his companion, Aimee Reiter ’95; his parents; brothers Alexander Jr., Thomas, and John and their wives; and nieces and nephews Rebecca, Karen, Andrew, and Ryan.
Paul M. O’Donnell, Aug. 27, 2000.
Paul O’Donnell attended Bates for one year. In 1986 he married Linda Herr ’81, who survives.
Matthew P. Rodman, April 18, 2000.
During his two years at Bates, Matthew Rodman played on the lacrosse team. He later attended Colorado Univ. He was president of the Rodman Group advertising agency in Waltham, Mass., and worked at Outlook Advertising and Blue Cross and Blue Shield. A volunteer for the United Way of Cape Cod, he spent several years as counselor and wilderness trip leader at Camp Chewonki in Wiscasset. Survivors include his wife, Maryellen Taylor Rodman; daughters Laurel and Anna; his parents; and a brother and two sisters.
David B. Miller, May 1998.
A wilderness ranger in Arizona’s Coconino National Forest, David Miller had gone hiking in the dense wilderness on a three-day weekend in April and did not return. He is presumed dead after eight weeks of searching. The family held a memorial service in Bethesda in May 1998 and the Arizona U.S. Forest Service has marked and named a new trail near a pristine pass in memory of David Miller. A religion major at Bates, David wrote his honors thesis on the Sun Dance of the Lakota Sioux, doing research his junior year in Albuquerque, N.M. An experienced camper, he had explored Mount Rainier’s ice-packed peak, Alaska’s glacial crevasses, and the isolated area of Maine’s coastline. At the Potomac School in McLean, Va., David’s coach said there were few sports David didn’t pursue. “He was never going to do anything at second speed. He played always for the team, led by quiet example, and acted the same off the field.” He was close to his family and leaves a brother; his parents, Barbara and Ira Miller; and many friends and co-workers.
Merrick K. Ryan, Jan. 10, 2000.
A graduate of the Galloway School in Atlanta, Ga., in 1998, Merrick Ryan was active there in student government, and served as editor-in-chief of the yearbook. She played varsity tennis and was interested in skiing, snowboarding, and swing dancing. During the summer of 1987 she spent a month at the Ashfield College in Dublin, Ireland, and previously had participated in a leadership program in the Atlanta Speech School. She leaves a sister, Sarah, and parents Helen and Thomas Ryan.
Several errors marred the obituary for Howard Jordan ’44, who was one of the leaders of the famed Bates Bobcats Dance Band, among the notable accomplishments of his life. His last name was Jordan, not Johnson; his date of death was Jan. 5, 2000; and the name of his widow is Patricia. In the obituary for Douglas Bragdon ’40 in the fall issue, it was incorrectly stated that he was a ship’s doctor during World War II. He served in that capacity once, for a few weeks, in the 1950s. During the war, he served in the Army Air Corp meteorology program before entering medical school. In 1958, he entered private practice as an internist at Lambert Medical Associates, later Chelmsford Medical Associates, in Chelmsford, Mass.—Editor