College offices closed due to storm
Bates College offices will be closed Tuesday, March 19, due to a winter storm expected to produce hazardous driving conditions.
- Only essential employees, designated in advance, should report to work.
- Dining services will be available.
- Classes will be held unless canceled by the instructor. Students should check their email and Lyceum to determine if individual classes have been canceled by the instructor.
- Updates will be posted here as needed.
- A parking ban in Lewiston is in effect through 6 a.m. Wednesday, March 20.
- Follow the current weather conditions in Lewiston during the storm via Weather Underground.
- Check the current forecast from the National Weather Service office in Gray, Maine.
General storm safety information
- Fire safety: If electricity fails due to high winds, after several hours the system that transmits information to the Central Fire Station may not fully function, but local alarms and detectors will continue to function. As a result, students should leave the building as usual and then call 911 if a fire alarm goes off, followed by calling at 786-6111. As always, candles should never be lit in a campus building.
- Personal safety: During times of high winds, stay clear of tall trees, and stay away from any downed wires. Do not drive unless absolutely necessary. Be mindful of snowplows on area streets.
- Campus safety: The electronic card access system has a backup battery system and should continue to function even if the power goes out.
- Charging up: You should charge fully your electronic devices today. Similarly, if the electricity goes out for an extended period of time, the hot water will not be available in many dorms and houses, so use it while you can.
- Electricity supply: Buildings with back-up generator power include New Commons, the Village complex, 280 College St., Pettengill and Security. However, even these buildings will have a limited electricity supply. Elsewhere, the electricity outages, if they occur, will likely vary in different locations on and off-campus.
Tags: inclement weather office closings Office of Security and Campus Safety snow snow storm
Leave a Reply
This is a forum for sharing your thoughts about the preceding post with the public. If you have a question for the author, please email the Bates Communications Office at email@example.com.