As winter becomes spring, and as snowbanks melt, grass grows, and flowers bloom, Bates buildings are our constant companions.
Here’s an interactive look comparing the look of 10 Bates places in the depths of winter and again this week. (The images may take a moment to load.)
The unmistakable lines of Ladd Library, opened in 1973, are said to evoke the steeply pitched roof of a New England saltbox.
Hedge Hall has seen more 500 winters, springs, summers, and falls since it was constructed in 1890. It’s now an academic building for environmental studies, religious studies, and philosophy, plus classroom space.
Roger Williams Hall
Dedicated in 1895, Roger Williams Hall initially housed the Cobb Divinity School. Later a longtime residence hall, “the Bill” was renovated in 2010 for the college’s language programs and Off-Campus Study Office.
Placed on the National Register of Historic Sites in 1970, Hathorn Hall is Bates’ first building, opening for use on Sept. 1, 1857, for the brand-new Maine State Seminary, forerunner of Bates College.
Roger Williams Hall (left) and Ladd Library (right) frame the path that ends at the red door of Alumni Gym, completed 100 years ago.
Falling snow gives Pettengill Hall, dedicated in 1999, a bold, almost stern look. At left is Hedge Hall.
Hathorn Hall, redux
This wider view of Hathorn Hall shows the tree canopy on the Historic Quad closing in.
Class of 1906 Gate
The oft-photographed Class of 1906 Gate handles both a mantle of snow and leafy vines with equal grace.
Did you know that some paths on the Historic Quad, like the one from Coram Library (1902) to Hathorn, go unplowed in the winter?
The Gomes Chapel
Built in 1914, the chapel is made of distinctive seam-faced granite, quarried near Hingham, Mass., which has a different tone and hue depending on the light…and season.