Courses & Housing Abroad
A semester abroad or a year abroad assures you of four or eight course credits, respectively, provided that certain conditions are satisfied.
If the following seems familiar, it should — after all, you did sign off on them in the Bates Application. We do hope that this reminder proves helpful.
- The course load must be the normal full year or semester requirement for home-based students at your foreign university or for your study abroad program as defined by the Off-Campus Study Committee.as defined by Bates. If the normal full load is 3 courses, take 3; if it is 7 courses, take 7. For a listing of the full course load and of the minimum grade requirements, consult the Course Load and Credit List.
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade.
- Students must earn the equivalent of a 3.00 GPA and must pass all courses in order to receive full credit. The grades are not included in your Bates GPA.
- The courses must be appropriate to the liberal arts and sciences as defined by the Bates faculty and may not duplicate other courses applied toward the Bates degree. Business courses, for example, are not approved as they are not taught at Bates.
- Students must take their examinations at their regularly scheduled times and location.
- At English-language universities at least half the course work must be above the first-year level.
- Credit is awarded for an internship only when pre-approved by the Off-Campus Study Office and undertaken in a setting where the language is a major at Bates (Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Russian, or Spanish) or on the Washington Semester Program.
- Students who study in non-English speaking settings must take at least one full-time course in that country’s language, modern or ancient. If the language is taught as a major at Bates, a majority of the course work must be taught in that language unless an exception is granted because of the academic focus of the program.
- Students must live with a family or students from the host country when these housing options are available.