Medex Emergency Assistance
International Students enrolled in the “Bates College Health Insurance Program for International Students and Scholars” have access while abroad to Medex Assistance which provides a wide range of emergency support services. These services are also available in the United States if you are more than 100 miles from Bates.
The Medex Assistance Center in the United States is open 24/7 with support staff stationed around the world to assist with medical and other types of emergencies. You should enter the Medex telephone number into your cell phone so it will be available if needed. If calling from the United States, the Medex number is: 1-800-527-0218. From abroad, the number is: 410-453-6330. You can call collect. Your Medex reference number is on your insurance ID card, but you can call them without it in an emergency.
Medex must pre-approve any services and payments so it is essential to call them as soon as possible. If the condition is an emergency, you should go immediately to the nearest physician or hospital without delay and then contact the Medex Assistance Center. A summary of the support provided by Medex is below. As with all such policies, some exclusions and maximum payments may apply. Medex provides emergency assistance only. It is not a health insurance company and does not pay for medical care except for the emergency consultation and transportation, if needed.
When to Contact Medex
- You need medical advice on the country where you will be/are studying.
- You need help in finding a doctor, dentist, hospital, attorney, or interpreter.
- You need help obtaining prescription medications, including eye care.
- You need help replacing essential travel documents, including credit cards and passport.
- You need money to pay a doctor or hospital. (This is a temporary loan.)
- You need an emergence cash advance. (Medex will assist after getting money from your family.)
- You need an emergency medical consultation and/or medical monitoring of your condition and medical treatment.
- You need to determine whether you need a more specialized hospital. Medex will dispatch physician or specialist at its expense to evaluate you situation and determine whether an evacuation is needed.
- You need a medical evacuation to a more specialized hospital. If Medex agrees, it will dispatch a physician or specialist to accompany you, arrange travel to the nearest suitable facility, and pay for these travel services.
- You need to return home for medical care on an emergency basis. If Medex agrees, it will arrange your travel with medical or non-medical escort, if necessary, at its expense.
- If you are hospitalized for more than seven days and you want a family member to visit. Medex will arrange and pay for the transportation costs of this individual.
- Finally, Medex will arrange and pay for the return of your remains if die while abroad.