Scholastic Emergency Services

Bates students enrolled in the Bates College Student Health Insurance Program have access while abroad to Scholastic Emergency Services/Assist America.

These services are also available in the United States if you are more than 100 miles from Bates and your home.

Scholastic Emergency Services’ (SES) Operations Center in the United States is open 24/7 with support staff stationed around the world to assist with medical and other types of emergencies. You should enter the SES telephone number into your cell phone so it is available if needed. If calling from the United States, the SES number is: 1-877-488-9833. From abroad, the number is: +609-452-8570. You can call collect. Your Assist America reference number is on your insurance ID card, but you can call them without it in an emergency. More information is available at: AssistAmerica

SES must pre-approve any services and payments so it is essential to call them as soon as possible. A summary of the support provided by SES is below. As with all such policies, some exclusions and maximum payments may apply. SES provides emergency assistance only. It is not a health insurance company and does not pay for medical care except for the emergency consultation and transportation, if needed.

When to Contact SES

  • You need medical advice on the country where you will be/are studying.
  • You need help finding a doctor, dentist, hospital, attorney, interpreter, a US embassy or consulate.
  • You need help obtaining prescription medications, including eye care.
  • You need help replacing essential travel documents, including credit cards and passport.
  • You need money to pay a doctor or gain entrance to a hospital. (This is a temporary loan.)
  • You need an emergency medical consultation and/or continued medical monitoring of your condition and medical treatment.
  • You need to determine whether you need a more specialized hospital for treatment. SES will dispatch physician or specialist at its expense to evaluate you situation and determine whether an evacuation is needed.
  • You need a medical evacuation to a more specialized hospital. If SES agrees, it will dispatch a physician or specialist to accompany you, arrange travel to the nearest suitable facility, and pay for these travel services.
  • You need to return home for medical care on an emergency basis. If SES agrees, it will arrange your travel with medical or non-medical escort, if necessary, at its expense.
  • If you are hospitalized for more than seven days and you want a family member to visit, SES will arrange and pay for the transportation costs of this individual.
  • Finally, SES will arrange and pay for the return of your remains if you die while abroad.