ID Cards & Driving
- In advance of arriving for Orientation, you will provide a photo that you would like to be used for your student ID card, so that we can ensure that your ID card is ready for you upon check-in on Opening Day.
- Students must present a government issued photo ID (examples are: passport, state issued ID or drivers license) to pick up their ID upon arrival.
- Student ID Cards (BatesCard) are used to access all student residences, athletic facilities and some academic buildings. Access to student’s home dorm is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Access to all other student residences is 7:00 a.m. to midnight, Sunday through Thursday and 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. Friday and Saturday. Other access hours vary during the semester. The BatesCard is also used for library and dining privileges.
- The replacement fee for a BatesCard is $25.00.
Certified Driver Program
- In order to operate a Bates College-owned or leased vehicle, students, faculty and staff under the age of 25 years must be certified to do so. To become a certified driver, incoming students must possess and display a valid driver’s license from one of the fifty states. Additional, students must provide an up to date copy of their motor vehicle driving record which they can obtain from their home state department of motor vehicle and successful completion of a safe driving class conducted by Security is required. For more information refer to the Bates Motor Vehicle Policy.