Welcome Class of 2021
Hello new students,
I am pleased to have the opportunity to write to you on behalf of my colleagues in Student Affairs. As we begin to learn about you and your classmates, we are deeply impressed — and delighted that you will join our academic community this fall as a member of the Class of 2021.
In this community, you will live and learn alongside fellow students from across the country and the globe, taught and supported by a remarkably gifted faculty and staff dedicated to providing the best liberal arts college experience in the country.
The entire Student Affairs team and our campus colleagues look forward to welcoming you to Bates on the morning of Monday, August 28th. We have designed an engaging and informative orientation program for the Class of 2021 — some key dates are listed below. As a part of this immersive program all new students (except for those who participate on a fall athletic team) will take an Annual Entering Student Outdoor Program (AESOP) trip, which will take place in the center of Orientation.
As you might expect, there are a number of administrative matters you will need to attend to over the summer. They are listed below, and you will find many of them on this Orientation website. If you have questions about these forms or anything else, please be in touch with me at 207-755-5979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
I look forward to meeting you on August 28th. Meanwhile, I wish you all the best as you complete your senior year, celebrate high school graduation, and enjoy your summer.
Carrie Murphey ’06
Assistant Dean of Students for First-Year Programs
Arrival and Orientation Dates
- Sunday, August 27
Arrival date for international new students
- Monday, August 28
7:00 a.m. – 6:00pm
Orientation Opening Day. Arrival and move-in date for new students (including athletes). Orientation attendance is required for all new students. During Opening Day, optional sessions will be offered to parents and families.
- Tuesday, August 29,
Wednesday, August 30
New Student Orientation
- Thursday, August 31
All new students (fall athletes included at coach’s discretion) depart for AESOP Trips
- Sunday, September 3, Return from AESOP trips
Monday, September 4 (Labor Day),
Tuesday, September 5, Convocation
New Student Orientation
- Tuesday, September 5
Add/drop registration period begins
- Wednesday, September 6
Pre-Arrival Checklist Overview
Unless otherwise indicated, all pre-arrival tasks and related forms can be accessed via the Garnet Gateway.
- Beginning June 1, access the Garnet Gateway to complete your required forms throughout the summer. You will be receiving a paper mailing before June 1st that includes your ID and access credentials for the Garnet Gateway. For international students, you will be receiving an email with information about obtaining your credentials. After being prompted to update your credentials, assistance with the Garnet Gateway should be requested from IT Help Desk.
- Purchase Common Reading, Just Mercy, by Bryan Stevenson (2014) [ISBN: 081298496X]
- Residence application and roommate selection (will require Bates email to log-in)
Opens June 5 at 10 a.m. (EDT)
Closes June 29 at 11:59 p.m.
- If you are a student with a disability that would like to request an accommodation with the Office of Accessible Education , please note the following suggested deadlines to ensure adequate processing time for your request:
June 9 for residence life and housing accommodations
August 1 for academic accommodations
- Upload your photo for your Bates student ID card
Due June 20
- Authorize Account View: designate the person(s) who will receive your student bill
Due June 20
- Waive Bates Student Health Insurance (if you are covered by other insurance)
Due June 30, if applicable
- Complete Health Services forms (FAQs and tutorials here)
Opens June 5
Closes July 12
- Choose an AESOP trip (Annual Entering Student Outdoor Program)
Closes July 1
- Pay or request financial assistance for AESOP trip.
By June 26 for full consideration
- Course Registration opens. Request your preferred courses and alternates.
Opens July 17 at 10 a.m.
Closes July 21 at 4 p.m.
- Complete Healthy Bates 101
Opens June 26
Closes July 25
- Pay Fall Semester fees
Due August 1
- Review your Fall schedule (courses to which you’ve been assigned will be available to view; this is not the final phase of registration)
Opens August 15
Again, if you have questions about these forms or anything else, please be in touch with me at 207-755-5979 or email@example.com. Students are strongly encouraged to reach out directly with any questions they may have, so please be in touch!