Some students complete their requirements at the end of the fall semester and therefore finish as “December Graduates.”
Since Bates only confers degrees once each year during Commencement in May, the official graduation date on the transcript will be Commencement Day for that year. The Registrar’s office can provide any December graduate with a letter in the interim between finishing and commencement which states that all graduation requirements have been completed. As Bates College only confers degrees during commencement in the spring, diplomas will not be awarded until graduation in May. December Graduates are strongly encouraged to return to participate in commencement. If this is impossible diplomas are mailed to students shortly after the ceremony.
Students who plan on completing all requirements by the end of the fall semester and do not plan to return for the winter semester or Short Term, must complete the December Graduate form, available from the Registrar’s office and found in the senior packet distributed to seniors in September of the senior year. Students who have not submitted the form will be billed for winter semester.
Dates & Deadlines
- October 31 – Last day for withdrawal for Fall 2014 semester courses (drops)
- November 1 – 7: Registration for Winter 2015 semester
- November 14: Petitions due TO faculty for Winter 2015 semester courses
- November 21: Petitions due FROM faculty for Winter 2015 semester courses
- December 1: Winter 2015 registration adjustment period (add/drop) period opens for all students