Family Education Rights & Privacy Act
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is the federal law which protects the privacy of student records. Before accessing student records, all members of the Bates community should carefully review the material presented in the FERPA tutorial which follows. Maintaining confidentiality of student records can be achieved by knowing a few basic requirements of FERPA.
The tutorial, comprised of a brief overview and a quick 10 question quiz, is designed to give you a basic understanding of the rules governing access to and release of student information at Bates College. For more information, or consultation regarding specific situations, please contact the Office of the Registrar and Academic Systems.
Start the FERPA Tutorial.
Visit the U.S. Department of Education’s FERPA page: Family Policy Compliance Office
Dates & Deadlines
- Februrary 28 – Last day for withdrawal from Winter 2014 semester courses (drops)
- March 8 – 14: Registration for on-campus Short Term 2014 and Fall 2014 semester
- March 21: Petitions due to faculty for Fall 2014 semester courses
- March 28: Student petitions due from faculty for Fall 2014 semester courses
- March 31, 7:00 am: Short Term 2014 and Fall 2014 registration adjustment (add/drop) opens