Question 3 of 9: Yes

CORRECT. Yes, it is allowable but discouraged.

By law, students may view records but institutions may withhold official copies of documents when money is owed to the institution. Therefore, if a student has a hold they most likely have an outstanding balance with the College and are being prompted to make arrangements for payment by being directed to a business associate to resolve the matter. Holds may also be applied for reasons other than finances, and are effective only when the student goes through appropriate channels to get access to the record. (FERPA allows us to withhold access for up to 45 days.)