Question 5 of 9: No
CORRECT. Even though the person inquiring may be the student’s parent, FERPA recognizes students in higher education as adults, regardless of age. Therefore, you cannot give out that grade, or any other non-directory information unless the student has granted access to his parents. Because you do not know the identity of the caller or whether the student has a restriction, you should not release information to any third party. Be particularly careful if the student has graduated or is no longer at the College. You can ask the student to grant you permission to talk to a parent if appropriate.
The law states colleges may, but are not required to give parents information even if the student is a dependent. Most students allow this, but some have requested that access be restricted. Therefore, it is important to confirm that this is allowable.
Dates & Deadlines
- October 31 – Last day for withdrawal for Fall 2014 semester courses (drops)
- November 1 – 7: Registration for Winter 2015 semester
- November 14: Petitions due TO faculty for Winter 2015 semester courses
- November 21: Petitions due FROM faculty for Winter 2015 semester courses
- December 1: Winter 2015 registration adjustment period (add/drop) period opens for all students