What is the federal law regarding student records?
The “Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act,” referred to as “FERPA,” was passed by Congress in 1974. FERPA and its regulations establish:
- A student’s right to limit disclosure of their educational records;
A student’s right to inspect and review their records;
A student’s right to challenge the content of their records;
The institution’s obligation to notify students of their rights under FERPA and its regulations;
Recourse for students and the federal government when an educational institution violates FERPA.
Dates & Deadlines
- Februrary 28 – Last day for withdrawal from Winter 2014 semester courses (drops)
- March 8 – 14: Registration for on-campus Short Term 2014 and Fall 2014 semester
- March 21: Petitions due to faculty for Fall 2014 semester courses
- March 28: Student petitions due from faculty for Fall 2014 semester courses
- March 31, 7:00 am: Short Term 2014 and Fall 2014 registration adjustment (add/drop) opens