What is the federal law regarding student records?
The “Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act,” referred to as “FERPA,” was passed by Congress in 1974. FERPA and its regulations establish:
- A student’s right to limit disclosure of their educational records;
A student’s right to inspect and review their records;
A student’s right to challenge the content of their records;
The institution’s obligation to notify students of their rights under FERPA and its regulations;
Recourse for students and the federal government when an educational institution violates FERPA.
Dates & Deadlines
- October 31 – Last day for withdrawal for Fall 2014 semester courses (drops)
- November 1 – 7: Registration for Winter 2015 semester
- November 14: Petitions due TO faculty for Winter 2015 semester courses
- November 21: Petitions due FROM faculty for Winter 2015 semester courses
- December 1: Winter 2015 registration adjustment period (add/drop) period opens for all students