Logging into the Garnet Gateway
To get to the Garnet Gateway go to the main Bates web page at www.bates.edu. At the bottom of the page click on “Garnet Gateway.” This takes you to the Garnet Gateway login page. Log into the Garnet Gateway by entering your Bates ID number and your PIN, initially assigned to you by Admissions. You must change your PIN to something new the first time you log in.
How to Register
- Prior to registration, the Schedule of Courses for the upcoming semester may be viewed in the Garnet Gateway by clicking on the “Look-up Courses to Add” link on the “Registration” menu. The Schedule of Courses lists the courses to be offered in the upcoming semester, including instructors, class meeting times, enrollment limits, and room assignments. The Bates Catalog, www.bates.edu/catalog, includes course descriptions, prerequisites, and additional course information.
- To register, click on “Register or Add/Drop Courses” under the “Registration” menu. You then enter the CRN (Course Reference Number – a 5-digit number unique to each course section) found in the Schedule of Courses of each course you wish to register for in the boxes at the bottom of the page and Click submit. Another easy way to register for courses is to click “Look-up Courses to Add” and select the department(s)/program(s) you are interested in. Click in the checkbox to the left of the section(s) you want and Click submit. A “C” in the checkbox means the course is already full and closed.
Note: Your course selections are not saved until you click the “submit” button. Be sure to view the results on the Register Add/Drop courses page.
- When entering course preferences, error messages may appear. They include time conflicts, failure to meet a prerequisite requirement, failure to select a required linked discussion or laboratory section, etc. If an error appears, you are not registered for the course. Here is the URL to a chart of common errors and how to correct them: http://www.bates.edu/registrar/registration/registration-error-messages
Note: not all courses have spaces or are available for first-years. Be sure to look at the current enrollments and course attributes in the schedule. 200-level courses are only open first-years if so noted in the attribute column.
|90056||ENVR||204||A||1.000||Environment and Society||Class||TR||02:40 pm-04:00 pm||09/08-12/10||
|0||Sonja K. Pieck||TBA||
GEC C068,Open to first-year students
|If a course has a lab (L1, L2, L3, etc.) or discussion (D1, D2, D3, etc.) you must register for a lecture section as well as one lab/discussion at the same time..|
|N||10190||CMHI||106||A||1.000||Greek Civilization||Class||MW||01:10 pm-02:30 pm||01/11-04/09||45||41||0||John R. Cole||PGILL G65||GEC C048, GEC C054, GEC C057, GEC C077, Open to first-year students, (Premodern)|
||0.000||Greek Civilization||Discussion||R||11:00 am-11:55 am||01/11-04/09||23||23||0||John R. Cole||PGILL G54|
Register for fall courses in 3 easy steps!
1) Registration I — Enter your Courses
July 15, 10:00 a.m. (EDT) — July 19, 4:00 p.m.
Any time between July 15 (10:00 a.m.) and July 19 (4:00 p.m.), log in and select your full course preferences using the registration instructions above. You should register for three courses and A First-Year Seminar at this time.
Choosing a First-Year Seminar
Enrolling in a first-year seminar is strongly encouraged. You will have the opportunity to take a small-sized course especially designed for first-year students and the instructor of your seminar will also be your academic advisor. First-Year Seminars also satisfy your first-year writing, [W1], requirement.
2) Registration II — Review Randomization Results
July 20 — 21, 11:59 p.m. (EDT)
Some Bates courses have limited seats, as noted in the Schedule of Courses. On July 19 the Registrar’s Office will randomly assign students into the spaces in limited courses. You may then view the results of randomization and see which courses you gained entrance to on July 20 – 21 by logging into Garnet Gateway and looking at your “Register or Add/Drop Courses” page. This shows your current schedule after limited courses have been randomly filled. If you are happy with this schedule you are done!
3) Registration III — Adjust your Schedule (Add/Drop)
July 22, 10:00 a.m. (EDT) — July 26, 11:59 p.m.
If you need to add additional courses, Add/Drop is on a first come, first served basis and will open on July 22 at 10:00 a.m. (EDT) .
If you would like to make changes, you may do so until July 26.
Add/Drop will again open for all students on Tuesday, September 3, 7:00 a.m. on a first come, first served basis.
Questions? Please see the Registration FAQ www.bates.edu/registrar/registration/faqs/
or call 207-755-5949 or email email@example.com