Registration Overview – Entering Students
Logging into the Garnet Gateway
To get to the Garnet Gateway go to the main Bates web page at www.bates.edu. At the bottom of the page click on “Garnet Gateway.” This takes you to the Garnet Gateway login page. Log into the Garnet Gateway by entering your Bates ID number and your PIN, initially assigned to you by Admissions. You must change your PIN to something new the first time you log in.
How to Register
1. Find Fall Courses – Prior to registration, the Schedule of Courses for those courses that will be offered in the upcoming fall semester may be viewed in the Garnet Gateway by clicking on the “Look-up Courses to Add” link on the “Registration Menu.” The Schedule of Courses lists the courses to be offered in the upcoming fall semester, including instructors, class meeting times, enrollment limits, and room assignments. Clicking on the title of a course brings up the description and additional information.The Bates Catalog, www.bates.edu/catalog, includes full course information as well as major and minor requirements for all courses in the curriculum.
2. Enter Course Preferences – To indicate your preference for a course, click “Look-up Courses to Add,” enter the term you would like to register for and select the department(s)/program(s) you are interested in (other search criteria are also available). Once the course offerings page comes up click in the checkbox to the left of the course section(s) you want and then click the “submit” button at the bottom of the page. Your course selections are not saved until you click the “submit changes” button. Be sure to view the results on the “Register or Add/Drop Courses” page. (A “C” in place of the checkbox means the course is already full and/or closed.)
3. Preferred vs. Alternate – Since some courses are limited we’ll run a randomization process after you register to randomly assign students to courses with limited seats. We want to ensure that you get as many courses as possible though so you should initially select 8 courses. (You’ll really only take 4 in the fall but we’ll explain how to mark 4 as preferred and 4 as alternates.)
As you add each course section from the look-up courses page it will be marked “use as alternate.” Once you have your 8 courses on the Register or Add/Drop Courses page, select 4 courses (including 1 First-Year Seminar) which are your preferred courses and use the “change status” pull-down menu to change each of those 4 courses to “preferred course” and click “submit changes.” Be sure you have looked at the meeting time of each to be sure they don’t conflict! That leaves 4 courses (ideally 2 First-Year Seminars and 2 other courses) identified as “alternates” which we’ll use in case you don’t get all 4 preferred courses.
Note: When selecting courses and alternates you don’t need to select more than one section of the same course. For example: ECON 103 A is offered at 8:00am and ECON 103 B is offered at 11:00am. If you select section A and don’t get into it we’ll automatically try to get you into section B.
- When entering course preferences, error messages may appear. They include time conflicts, failure to meet a prerequisite requirement, failure to select a required linked discussion or laboratory section, etc. If an error appears, you are not registered for the course. Follow this link for a chart of common errors and how to correct them: http://www.bates.edu/registrar/registration/registration-error-messages
- Not all courses have spaces or are available for first-years. Be sure to look at the current enrollments and course attributes in the schedule.
- 200-level courses are only open first-years if so noted in the attribute column.Sample course results from the Look-up Courses search:
Sample of course search:
Sample of a course with multiple laboratories: If a course has a lab (L1, L2, L3, etc.) or discussion (D1, D2, D3, etc.) you must register for a lecture section as well as one lab/discussion at the same time.
Summer 2014 - Registration Timetable!
1) Request your preferred courses and alternates - July 7, 10:00 am – July 18, 4:00 pm
Any time between July 7th (10:00 am Eastern Time) and July 18 (4:00 pm), log in and select your preferred 4 courses and 4 alternates (see instructions above)
Choosing a First-Year Seminar
Enrolling in a first-year seminar is strongly encouraged. You will have the opportunity to take a small-sized course especially designed for first-year students and the instructor of your seminar will also be your academic advisor. First-Year Seminars also satisfy your first-year writing, [W1], requirement.
2) Review Your Fall Schedule - Beginning August 15
Between July 18th and August 15th the Registrar’s Office will assign students into the courses they requested, randomly assigning students into the spaces in limited courses. You may then view the results of randomization and see which courses you gained entrance to beginning August 15th by logging into Garnet Gateway and looking at your “Register or Add/Drop Courses” page. This shows your current schedule after limited courses have been randomly filled. If you are happy with this schedule you are done!
3) Adjusting your Schedule (Add/Drop) - September 2, 7:00am – September 16
If you need to make changes to your schedule or add additional courses, Add/Drop is on a first come, first served basis and will open for all students on Tuesday, September 2, 7:00am. You will have a chance to meet with your advisor during orientation prior to add/drop opening.
Questions? Please see the Registration FAQ
or call 207-755-5949 or email email@example.com