It is the responsibility of each student, faculty/staff member and visitor to be familiar with the locations on campus where parking is permitted and any/all rules pertaining to parking on campus. The campus map designates where students, faculty/staff and visitors may park.
Bates assumes no responsibility or liability for fire, theft, damage to or loss of any vehicle or any article left therein.
Parking enforcement is the responsibility of Bates College Security and Campus Safety. Parking regulations and enforcement are in effect 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Security officers may require identification of any person(s) on campus. Refusal to comply may result in the issuance of a citation, a towed vehicle and/or notification of the Lewiston Police Department.
Parking signs have been kept to a minimum to preserve the beauty of our campus. Consequently, signs primarily designate where you are allowed to park, rather than where you may not park.
All vehicles parked on campus that are owned or used by any student, faculty/staff or overnight visitor must have a valid parking permit. Parking permits may be obtained through the office of Security and Campus Safety.*The College does not guarantee parking will be available. A permit is merely permission to park legally in one of the college lots.*
- Student permit: Student Parking Permits cost $100.00 per academic year and are billed directly to student accounts.
- Merrill-only permit: Students with a Merrill-only Permit must park in the Merrill Lot only.
- Temporary permit: Temporary permits will only be issued to those who already have a parking permit. The student should go to Security and Campus Safety to request a temporary permit. It will be verified that the student has a parking permit and a temporary permit will be issued. Temporary permits must be displayed via the rear view mirror facing out toward the windshield of the vehicle.
- Medical permit: Medical permits are available for those students requiring a vehicle on campus due to an illness, injury or other medical reason. Requests must be made through Health Services. Medical permits are temporary and are valid only for the duration of the medical issue.
- Faculty/staff permit: All faculty/staff may obtain a no-cost parking permit from Security and Campus Safety. The permit allows parking in any designated faculty/staff lot or space.
- Overnight visitor permit: Visitors may obtain a no-cost parking permit that will allow them to park in any designated visitor lot or space. Permits can be picked up at Security and Campus Safety. A visitor is defined as any person not employed with or enrolled at Bates College, who occasionally has business or another reason to be on campus. Students living off campus are NOT considered visitors and are required to have a parking permit.
The parking permit decal must be applied to the most rear driver’s side window. If you have questions about placement of a parking permit or evidence of an illegally attached permit, call Security and Campus Safety at 786-6254.
Visitor permits are to be displayed on the rear view mirror facing out toward the windshield.
Lost, stolen or damaged permits
If a vehicle is sold or involved in an accident that renders it inoperable, the old permit must be removed and returned to the office of Security and Campus Safety a replacement. Lost or stolen permits must be reported to security immediately. Failure to do so may result in the owner’s vehicle being towed from campus, a fine and/or a referral to the Student Conduct Committee.
Altering a parking decal is a violation of the college’s parking policy. This may result in the vehicle being towed and the owner being fined and/or referred to the Student Conduct Committee. Altered permits will be confiscated and the vehicle’s owner will lose their parking privileges for the remainder of the academic year.
Vehicle registration/permitting process
If you bring a vehicle to Bates, you are required to register it with Security whether you have a permit or not.
- For students: All vehicles must be registered with Security and Campus Safety no later than the second Friday in September, regardless of whether or not the student has a permit to park on campus. Distribution of student permits is determined via a parking lottery conducted by the Bates Student Government. First year students are not awarded parking permits except under special circumstances. Those awarded a permit must park on campus.
- For faculty/staff: All faculty and staff must register their vehicles if they intend to park on campus at any time. Faculty and staff vehicles must be registered with Security and Campus Safety by the end of the first week of employment. There is no fee for a faculty/staff permit.
- For visitors: Any visitor needing to park overnight must register their vehicle with the Security Office, at which point they will be issued a no-cost temporary permit. Visitors must comply with all parking regulations. Bates community members are responsible for ensuring their guests are familiar with the college’s parking regulations. A visitor is any person not employed with or enrolled at the college who has occasional business or another reason to be on campus. Students living off campus are NOT visitors to the College and are required to have a parking permit.
Prohibited parking areas
- Parking is always prohibited in driveways, walkways, building exits, fire lanes, on grass or any place that would inhibit access of emergency vehicles. In such cases, the vehicle will be towed with or without notice and stored at the owner’s expense.
- There is no overnight parking on North Bardwell Street from midnight to 6 a.m. *This is NOW Faculty/Staff parking.*
- Vehicles that are not parked in appropriately designated spaces or in the properly designated location (i.e. faculty/staff parking, student parking, etc.) may receive a parking ticket and/or may be towed without warning or notice.
Loading and unloading vehicles
Vehicles may be parked temporarily in driveways for up to 15 minutes for loading or unloading, provided that the emergency flashers are activated, and the driver is readily available to move the vehicle. Vehicles parked for more than 15 minutes may be ticketed and/or towed without warning or notice.
Evening and weekend parking
- Parking in faculty/staff parking areas is open to students with permits between 5 p.m. and 1 a.m. during weekdays and between 5 p.m. Friday to midnight Sunday. Students with a Merrill-only permit MUST park in the MERRILL LOT ONLY.
- Students may park in the Nichols Street lot during weekday evenings and Sunday evenings from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. the next morning.
- Parking is prohibited on North Bardwell Street between the hours of midnight and 6:00 a.m. This includes weekends. Olin Lot is 24hr Visitor Parking including evenings and weekends.
Parking during vacations
Students who wish to leave their vehicle on campus over any break must contact Security to make appropriate arrangements. Students who are on campus during break may park in other designated spaces on campus during the day (weather permitting) but must park their vehicles in Merrill Lot overnight. Vehicles left in any other lots on campus after these times may be ticketed and/or towed without warning or notice.
Snow removal and maintenance needs
Any person using campus parking is expected to move their vehicle promptly during periods of snow removal or required maintenance. Notices will be placed in all dorms, posted in the Bates Daily and sent out via e-mail. These notices will state the date and time of snow removal or required maintenance. Any vehicle impeding these activities may be towed without warning or notice.
Parking related notices
General parking announcements will be sent via e-mail. Parking announcements will be titled either “Parking Notice” or “Urgent Parking Notice.” All persons with parking permits are responsible for being knowledgeable of all information sent out in these parking e-mails and for complying with any directives they contain.
Specific violations are as follows:
|03||Parked in or blocking fire lane (All driveways are designated as firelanes)||$30.00|
|05||Not in a parking space||$20.00|
|07||Parked in or blocking driveway||$30.00|
|08||Parked or driven on grass||$20.00|
|09||Parked or driven on walkway||$20.00|
|10||Parked overnight where prohibited (Overnight parking prohibited on Bardwell St. and Olin Lot)||$100.00|
|11||Parallel parking where prohibited||$20.00|
|12||Vehicle banned (Vehicles accumulating 5 or more parking tickets are banned from campus for the remainder of the academic year)||$100.00|
|13||Wrong way on a one way street||$20.00|
|16||Faculty/Staff parking only||$20.00|
|17||Student parking only||$20.00|
|18||Visitor parking only||$20.00|
|21||Merrill only permit (parked in another lot)||$20.00|
|22||No commuter parking after midnight||$20.00|
Revocation of parking privileges
- Students: Parking fines will be applied directly to student accounts. Students who receive five parking tickets will lose their parking privileges and may have their vehicle towed if is found parked on campus. Students are responsible for payment of any towing or storage fees incurred as a result. If your vehicle has been towed, Security and Campus Safety will advise which towing company has the vehicle. It is the student’s responsibility to retrieve their vehicle from the towing company. It should be noted that, generally, local towing companies only accept cash.
- Faculty and staff: Faculty/Staff are not exempt from Bates College parking rules and are responsible for all parking regulations. Parking fines will be automatically deducted from the employee’s next paycheck following the seven day appeal period. If your vehicle has been towed, Security and Campus Safety will advise which towing company has the vehicle. It is the faculty/staff member’s responsibility to retrieve their vehicle from the towing company. It should be noted that, generally, local towing companies only accept cash.
- Visitors: Visitors are expected to pay their parking tickets within 14 calendar days. Fines that are 30 days overdue will result in the suspension of parking privileges. Parking privileges will be reinstated upon payment of all outstanding fines. Visitors are responsible for payment of any towing/storage fees. If your vehicle has been towed, Security and Campus Safety will advise which towing company has the vehicle. It is the visitor’s responsibility to retrieve their vehicle from the towing company. It should be noted that, generally, local towing companies only accept cash. Visitor Parking is marked on the campus map.
Individuals may appeal a parking ticket by submitting an appeal form to Security and Campus Safety. Appeal forms must be submitted in writing within seven calendar days of the violation along with a copy of the contested ticket. Appeals received after seven calendar days will not be heard.
Click here for Parking Ticket Appeals Form.
For additional information or questions, please contact Security at 786-6254.
Parking 12 Passenger Vans or Larger Vehicles on Campus
Students, faculty, staff, teams, classes, clubs, ect. using 12 passenger vans or larger vehicles on campus must park these vehicles in the Merrill Lot on Russell St. in the designated spaces at ALL times regardless of why these vehicles are on campus. No exceptions. This is for safety reasons and will be strictly enforced. Parking fines shall be paid by the operator at the time of violation.