Agreement to Terms, Conditions, Rules and Regulation
You agree to obey the following rules and regulations, terms and conditions for driving on College business in
addition to the terms, conditions, rules and regulations continued in the current Bates College Motor Vehicle Use
1. Drivers must abide by and enforce all rules and regulations, terms and conditions outlined in the Bates
College Motor Vehicle Use Policy and must know and obey all applicable campus, local, state and federal
traffic laws, regulations and ordinances.
2. The driver is responsible for the proper use and operation of the Bates College motor vehicle, including, but
not limited to, the use of safe driving techniques, principals and practices at all times.
3. Drivers may not allow other passengers to operate the vehicle unless the passenger is listed as an alternate
driver on the Authorization to Driver form or is on the List of Approved Drivers maintained by the
Department of Safety and Security. Only those individuals affiliated with the College (i.e. faculty, staff,
students, invited guests or approves outside conference attendees) are to be transported in Bates College
4. Drivers are responsible for notifying the Department of Safety and Security immediately of any change in
the driver’s license status in any state or country. Any driver of college vehicles who has their right to
operate suspended or revoked may not drive a College vehicle under any circumstances until their right to
operate is reinstated. Drivers are personally responsible for traffic and parking violations. Drivers must
immediately inform the Department of Safety and Security of violations received while using a Bates
College motor vehicle. A yearly updated Motor Vehicle Record must be submitted to Security.
5. Drivers are responsible for immediately notifying local police in the city or town where an accident occurs
and then notifying the College’s Communications Center at 207-786-6254.
6. No hazardous cargo is permitted in the Bates College motor vehicles. Alcoholic beverages and/or illegal
drugs may not be transported or consumed in College vehicles.
7. Drivers may not operate a College vehicle under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs or while using a
prescription medication that has any warnings or any impairment, including without limitation, a warning
for drowsiness or not to use when operating heavy machinery.
8. Before leaving the parking area or garage, drivers must do a “walk around” inspection of the vehicle and
report and existing damage to the Communications Center or rental agency. Drivers must confirm that the
following parts and components are in good working order: service brakes, parking brakes, steering
mechanism, horn, windshield, wipers/washers; rear-vision mirrors, lights/reflector devices and tires/wheels.
9. Drivers are not authorized to operate a vehicle with anything on top of the vehicle or with anything
protruding from a window or door, to push or tow any other vehicle or trailer or to move equipment or
property without written approval from the Director of the Physical Plant. Exceptions will be granted on a
case-by-case basis to accommodate academic, athletic, and outdoor leadership center activities.
10. Drivers must turn the College vehicle off, remove the keys and lock the vehicle when it is left unattended.
11. Smoking is not permitted in any Bates College motor vehicle.
12. Animals, with the exception of trained service animals, are not allowed in College vehicles.
13. Drivers are responsible for returning vehicles in a clean condition. Vehicles that are left dirty will be
cleaned and the department that last used the vehicle will be charged.
14. Drivers are expected to clear the vehicle of snow and ice prior to operating. The Department of Safety and
Security does not warm up the vehicles or clean them off. Drivers are also expected to plan enough time
into their pre-trip schedule to allow for the inspection of the vehicle.
15. Drivers must return the vehicles to the appropriate parking lot or rental agency. Following a trip with a fleet
vehicle, drivers must submit a completed College Vehicle Trip Report and the keys to the Security
16. Drivers may not operate a College Motor Vehicle while using a cell phone or other electronic device.
By signing this form you agree to comply with the vehicle operation guidelines as outlined in the Bates College
Motor Vehicle Use Policy. You are also acknowledging that you have read the Bates College Motor Vehicle use
Policy and understand the rules, regulations and guidelines.
Please sign below.