BCDC: Career Development Fellow (S9976C)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
The Bates Career Development Center (BCDC) invites applications for Career Development Fellows. This paid position offers the opportunity to work closely with the BCDC professional staff to provide exemplary support for Bates students in the career development process. Those who are successful in this position will advance their own career development and gain substantial paraprofessional experience. Career Development Fellows will have an excellent opportunity to gain a deep understanding of the BCDC career internship resources, develop communication and advising skills, and to gain practical experience that they can use in their career fields or graduate school.
To get an inside look at the role, please check out this interview:
Applicants must be current sophomores or juniors and should demonstrate reliability, attention to detail, and professionalism. Students must have a proven track record of strong time management and organizational skills, as well as exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (strong editing, grammatical, and presentation skills are essential). The BCDC seeks applicants who are able to work effectively with a diverse range of individuals, demonstrate flexibility and creativity, and work in a fast-paced environment.
Applicants with extensive knowledge of career development basics, wide-ranging educational experience and professional skills, and previous experience with work that involves customer service or interacting with the public are highly desirable.
Strong proficiency in technology (Word, Excel, Internet, social media, etc.), and the ability to learn new techniques and databases quickly are a must.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Educate and provide guidance to enrolled students on topics such as networking, transferable skills, resume and cover letter development/revisions, interviewing, workplace etiquette, internship and job search, etc.; this work will take place during walk-in office hours, via phone or e-mail, and at workshops.
- Advise peers on ways to get involved on campus to build leadership and networking skills, provide motivational support, and act as a sounding board.
- Collaborate with the BCDC staff to manage a wide range of projects and events.
- Provide advice to the BCDC staff on strategic ways to engage students (especially for first-years and sophomores), faculty, and staff.
- Assist in developing and implementing marketing strategies for BCDC events, provide advice on student trends (especially regarding technology) and publicity methods to reach target audiences.
- Provide support to the BCDC staff for projects as needed to assist with the development of BCDC programs and operations.
- Represent the BCDC at employer information sessions (as needed).
- Must maintain strict confidentiality.
How To Apply:
TO APPLY: Please apply through JobCat (jobcat.bates.edu) by Sunday, March 8, 2015. (Do not apply via the link below.) Please submit a resume, a cover letter that conveys your interest and outlines your qualifications, contact information for two references (preferably professional and/or academic), and information about your availability to interview (days and times) this semester. Students who are currently abroad may apply and should indicate availability to interview via phone/Skype on Eastern Standard Time. Application review will begin immediately.