ACS: Assistant Carnegie Science (S9994B)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
This is a Summer part-time job: Mondays, 8-4 only.
The main responsibility of the Assistant to Carnegie Science is that the lobby desk must be staffed whenever the building is open so that students can work in labs and people can hold meetings and lectures as needed. It is important that student receptionists have some flexibility in their schedules, making it fairly easy to find substitutes from the list of current semester employees. Carnegie is open until midnight Sunday through Thursday, until 8:00PM on Friday, and until 5:00PM on Saturday during the regular academic semesters.
Please Note: This job entails “policing” office equipment (copier, laser printer, computer) in this faculty resource area, from student use. If you feel that you cannot handle pressure from peers, please do not apply for this position.
- Issue keys to students assigned to off-hours lab work
- Relay security (and equipment) emergencies to proper persons/department
- Answer phone and related tasks
- Issue items on reserve (readings, videos, maps, books, etc.)
- Light clerical work for professors (mostly photocopying)
- Greet visitors and provide general information