BCO: Bates News Assistant/Editorial Assistant (S9998C)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
The Bates Communications Office is the source of great stories about the people and programs that make Bates one of the leading U.S. liberal arts colleges.
The BCO Editorial Assistant position is important to the College’s public communications strategy. Editorial Assistants are tasked with a challenging variety of activities including transcribing audio interviews, formatting campus event information and submitting to external websites, journalistic writing and copy-editing, brainstorming story ideas, research and interviewing, media database operations, and digital photo and audio editing. The position is a valuable way for a student to gather writing samples for a portfolio, gain exposure to the everyday workings of the media and communications industries, and absorb valuable experience in writing and editing, as well as basic office practices.
Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Transcribing audio interviews
- Formatting campus event information and submitting to external websites
- Reporting and writing articles for the Bates website, Bates Magazine, and Communications Office press releases
- Associated Press-style copy editing.
- Rewriting and re-purposing text for a variety of publications.
- Performing web and library archival research for Communications Office staff.
- Digital photo and audio editing and production.
- Covering the reception desk.
- Running campus deliveries and photocopying