FS: Benjamin Mays Center Monitor (S9761B)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
Benjamin Mays Center Monitors are responsible for ensuring that events held at the Village/Mays Center run smoothly.
- Monitors must be familiar with the physical plan of the building and all of the policies attached to the use of the facility.
- Monitors must be alert to security of the building and feel comfortable calling Bates Security if any serious problems or emergencies arise.
- Monitors are expected to extend the hospitality of the college to fellow students, faculty, and staff and make people feel welcome.
- Monitors must read the blue skips and the activity sheet for the day, and prepare setups for the specific events prior to the time that they are to commence. The blue slips and activity sheets must be signed by the person completing the setups and breakdowns. Monitors should be sure that all areas and furniture are clean and that the rest rooms are well stocked before the start of any event. After the events have been completed, break down of the setup must be done. Monitors must set furniture in the original setup.
- If an event is in progress when a Monitor’s shift ends, he or she must notify the Monitor coming in of any specific points of interest – such as: security concerns, noted damage, where special items are located and should be placed when no longer in use, any changes in schedules, if any cleaning procedures have not yet been completed, etc.
- Monitors must log any damages (date and time during event, who is responsible, etc.).
- While Monitors are on duty, they cannot participate in any of the social events taking place in the center.
- Monitors must adhere to the Maine Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
- Monitors must be on time for their scheduled time to work and must wait for the next person on duty to arrive before they leave. Un-excused absences are not tolerated, and students must make arrangements prior to missing a shift.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Clean areas after events: main area, kitchen, and rest rooms
- Dust, mop, sweep, and wet mop floors
- Vacuum carpets
- Scrub and clean rest rooms, (fixtures and floors)
- Keep rest rooms supplied with towels, soap, and toilet tissue
- Dust and clean walls, doors, woodwork and other above-the-floor surfaces
- Dust, clean, and polish furniture
- Wash glass in windows and doors when necessary
- Clean kitchen floor, countertops, and appliances after they have been used
- Sweep the outside entrances and platform area
- Do not use the telephone for personal business
- Observe the general building policy which prohibits smoking
- Log in at the start of your shift and log out when you leave
Department: Facility Services
Supervisor: Virginia Sturgis
Office Location: Physical Plant
Pay Grade: B
Qualifications, Requirements, and Responsibilities
REQUIRED: EDUCATION: Bates student EXPERIENCE: Training sessions will be provided.
REPORTS TO: Building Managers of the Benjamin Mays Center COORDINATES/WORKS CLOSELY WITH: Building Managers, other Monitors, and Maintenance Custodians
ENVIRONMENT: Indoors/Outdoors PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Monitors must be able to lift 30lbs. MACHINES & EQUIPMENT USED: Vacuum cleaner, mop and wringer bucket