MCC: Mentoring Resource Associate (S9979X)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
This is a 10 week, full-time position for the summer. The Mentoring Resource Associate (MRA) will fund, apply, and communicate research about high school completion. He or she will also conduct research on effective approaches for advising and mentoring high school students about college access and success. In addition, the MRA will gather and evaluate resources for advising for college access and success, and organize the resources for dissemination via the web.
The MRA must have completed at least one year of college. He or she must also have mentoring and/or tutoring experience, and be familiar with internet and library research.
We would like the MRA to conduct a literature review on the following topics:
- Factors influencing rural high school completion and college attendance, especially in our five states.
- Research on efficacy about approaches to advising high school students about college access and success.
We would then like the student to gather resources on the following and evaluate the usefulness of these resources based on the results of their literature reviews: Resources for the college application process
- Financial aid options and resources
- Advising middle school students for college aspirations and access
- Advising high school students for college aspirations and access
- Mentoring best practices for all age groups
- Tutoring best practices for all age groups
- Volunteer recruitment and management
- Building community partner relations
The student will distill elements of effective programs from the literature review, and select resources for programs that demonstrate those elements. In some cases, the student will prepare Power Points or other forms of communication to organize and share the research and resources. We would then like the student to organize resources in a way for AmeriCorps members and partners to access them easily on our website.
How to Apply:
Click on the link below