OIE: Student Academic Mentor (S9963C)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
The Student Academic Mentors (SAM’s) will serve as role models for students engaged in the learning process. SAM’s will provide a positive example in attitude, serve as a counselor and confidant to students on academic issues, and ensure students take advantage of all resources that are available to assist them in achieving and maintaining a high level of academic success. In addition to being a regular visible presence at the Intercultural Center and other locations on campus to answer student questions regarding the curriculum, the SAM’s will create programs that will inform and support students in academic planning, time management, and faculty engagement. During the second semester, SAM’s may be assigned specific first-year or sophomore mentees (individuals or group) to work with directly in a one-on-one relationship.
Tasks, Duties, Other Responsibilities:
- Help to coordinate and facilitate first-year and sophomore focus groups.
- Conduct and monitor group study sessions and serve as a tutor in disciplines where you have been successful.
- Plan programs geared towards building academic success.
- Hold regular open hours and be a visible presence during those times
- Meet with your mentees formally and informally several times throughout second semester.
- Attend regular meetings with OIE Staff
Qualifications, Requirements, and Responsibilities
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE: Must have prior experience as a teaching assistant, tutor, PALG leader, or peer writing assistant.
DESIRED EDUCATION: Coursework in psychology, sociology, anthropology or religion a plus.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE: A willingness to work with students who may come from different ethnic or racial background, willingness to engage across difference, and the insight to know that each students educational experience is impacted by factors other than academic preparation.
COORDINATES / WORKS CLOSELY WITH: Student and Professional Staff of the Office of Intercultural Education
MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT USED:: Computer