OIE: Bobcat First! Pre-Orientation Peer Mentor (S9591C)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
Summary of Position
Bobcat First! Is the firs-generation to college program at Bates College. Students who are the first in their families to go to college are invited to participate in the program beginning with a week-long Pre-Orientation program prior to Orientation. Participants experience residential life, workshops on college life, and recreational activities– all while fostering relationships with faculty, staff, and alumni.
Peer Mentors live with students, help run programs, and serve as mentors to the cohort. They are fundamental to creating community among students and play an important role in making the overall program run smoothly. Peer mentors should be excited to help their peers transition into college and they should expect to work hard throughout the program.
Department: Intercultural Education
Supervisor: Jessica Perez
Office Location: Chase
Qualifications, Requirements, and Responsibilities
Peer Mentors will arrive on Wednesday, August 16th for training. Pre-Orientation runs Sunday, August 20th through Sunday, August 27th. Peer Mentors must acquire a Bates work card before starting.
Reports to Jessica Perez and Julisa De Los Santos. Will work closely with all Bobcat First! Participants and staff, faculty, and alumni who participate in the program.
• Requires peer mentors to sit, stand, and walk for long periods of time
• Requires peer mentors to move and lift heavy loads, particularly while helping students move in and out of housing
• May require driving Bates Vans, and therefore require van certification
• Requires peer mentors to travel with the program to locations in the region, including Portland and Boston. Transportation will be provided.
• Requires that peer mentors have a depth of knowledge about the experience of first generation to college students.