SA: Orientation Student Director (S9608C)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
The Orientation Student Director(s) is responsible for the development of non-required Orientation programs for incoming students and the supervision of the Orientation Week Leaders (OWLs) that will run those events. This position will work within the Office of Campus Life and report to and work closely with the Assistant Dean of First-Year Programs to fulfill requirements of the role.
This will include responsibility for planning a schedule of events that complement required Orientation activities, reflect the values of the College, and allow incoming students a wide variety of options to meet fellow students, become more familiar with Bates and Lewiston/Auburn, and engage in safe and healthy activities that enrich Orientation week. This will involve developing events, determining appropriate student staffing for events, making appropriate reservations, purchasing supplies, and collaborating with internal and community partners.
Their supervision of the Orientation Week Leaders (OWLs) will include reviewing applications, assisting with their selection, serve as the primary point of communication, develop appropriate training schedule, overseeing the OWLs events throughout Orientation Week, and providing evaluation of OWLs and OWL-led events following Orientation.
Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Planning a schedule of Orientation activities:
- Develop event ideas
- Determine appropriate staffing, location, timing, and other logistical consideration for events
- Populate and promote event schedule
- Collaborate with internal and community partners
- Supervision of Orientation Week Leaders (OWLs):
- Review applications
- Assist with selection
- Serve as primary point of communication for leaders
- Develop and lead and appropriate training
- Oversee OWL events throughout Orientation Week
- Provide evaluation of OWLs and OWL-led events following Orientation
- Work within Office of Campus Life
- Provide administrative support to office throughout summer
- Other duties as assigned