SEC: Saferide Driver (S9738B)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
Saferide Drivers transport students in a Bates College vehicle (usually a van) on campus, to and from off campus residences and other locations as assigned. He or she also assists with other Security Department assignments as needed. Saferide Drivers also report any security or safety concerns observed.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Reports to the Student Safety Coordinator 15 minutes before the scheduled start of shift
- Inspects the Bates vehicle at the beginning of each shift for cleanliness, scratches, dents, and other damage. If any of these discrepancies are noted, the Saferide Driver should report it to the Coordinator and Security Officer on duty.
- Monitors and ensures that the fuel level of the vehicle does not go below 1/4 of a tank.
- Cleans and maintains cleanliness of the vehicle at all times.
- Maintains professional radio contact following FCC guidelines.
- Reports suspicious conditions and people (loitering around buildings, vehicles, broken windows, etc.).
- Reports violations of student conduct rules and policies.
- Reports safety hazards.
- Does not leave assigned area without permission of the Coordinator, Supervisor or Communications Officer.
- Driver and all passengers must wear seat belts at all times while the van is in operation.
- Drivers will maintain control of all passengers at all times. If unable to do so, he or she should stop safely and immediately contact the Dispatcher.
- No animals of any type, except seeing eye dogs will be transported at any time.
- No intoxicants, illegal substances, or weapons will be transported in the vehicle at any time.
- No smoking is allowed in the vehicle.
- In the event of a medical emergency or other safety concern, the Saferide Driver must contact the Dispatcher immediately.
- While driving around campus he or she should be alert to strangers, of suspicious conditions and notify the Dispatcher.
- Try to avoid situations that will require you to back up. This maneuver, especially in the winter, is the cause of most accidents.
- In the event of an accident, the Saferide Driver immediately contacts the Dispatcher, and does not attempt to move the van unless instructed to do so by either Bates Security or the police.
Please Note: The Saferide Driver must notify the Student Safety Supervisor in writing immediately upon change of license status or receipt of summons (for any violation) from law enforcement official. He or she must understand and obey all traffic laws of the State of Maine and abide by city parking ordinances. Driver is responsible for violations incurred and may result in loss of driving privileges.