SEC: Safewalker (S9741B)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
Safewalkers escort students walking on campus from one location to another. They offer safe walks to students seen walking alone, and report security or safety concerns observed. A safewalker patrol consists of a male/female or female/female team.
Safewalkers must be able to work with all types of people and be able to remain calm in stressful situations.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Reports to the Student Safety Coordinator at the Security Office fifteen minutes prior to the scheduled start of shift.
- Receives and is responsible for issued equipment.
- Constantly patrols campus. May not leave campus without permission from the Coordinator or through an assigned/requested escort.
- Escorts students upon request. Offers safewalks to students walking on campus. Must render assistance to everyone to the best of their ability.
- Maintains professional radio contact following FCC guidelines.
- Reports suspicious conditions and people,(loitering around buildings, vehicles, broken windows, etc.)
- Reports violations of student conduct rules and policies.
- Reports safety hazards, (ice buildup, slippery walks or steps, etc.)
- Un-prop doors that are propped open. (Radio information to Dispatch upon completion.)
- Returns all issued equipment at the end of shift. Reports any damage or problems with assigned equipment.