THE: Costume Shop Assistant (S9715C)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
The Costume Shop Assistant must understand the working order of the Costume Shop, be able to assign work projects in the absence of the Costume Manager, and be capable of taking on design assignments for student directors or choreographers. It is important that the Costume Shop Assistant have a love of theater/dance, and a commitment to all aspects of the project.
The Costume Shop Assistant must have costume shop experience, excellent skills in costume technology, and must be able to supervise others. It is also desired that the student has successfully completed the Introduction to Costume Design Course.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Helps supervise all phases of costume construction when Costume Manager or Designer is unavailable
- Works independently to cut and construct costumes based on instructions from the Costume Manager or Designer
- Supervises, instructs, and prepares sewing projects for Costume Stitchers and First Hand Stitchers
- Attends fittings to assist and take notes for Costume Manager or Designer when needed
- Creates costume accessories based on instruction from Costume manager or Designer
- Works with student choreographers and directors as Costume Designer or Costume Coordinator (including committing to being present for relevant rehearsals)
- Stays for rehearsals/performances to serve as Wardrobe Crew Head
- Takes responsibility for the maintenance of costumes during the production period, including repairs, laundry, etc.