THE: Master Carpenter (S9723C)
Summary, Scope, and Responsibilities
The Master Carpenter is responsible for building and installing scenery for performances. He or she also supervises other Carpenters and oversees the shop.
Please Note: Some nights and weekends are required and the student must attend all Theater Department strikes.
The Master Carpenter must be a Bates student It is desired that the student has successfully completed theater 132 and 231 or 232. It would be particularly helpful if the student has had additional theater experience and is familiar with basic structural carpentry and framing techniques.
This student works in the Schaeffer Theater, Gannett Theater, Black Box, and Scenic Shop. Furthermore, the Master Carpenter must be able to lift 50 lbs. and climb a ladder in excess of 12 feet. He or she will also frequently use saws, drills, staplers, paint equipment, and stage counterweight system.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Supervises and instructs lesser experienced Carpenters
- Maintains a safe workplace
- Maintains a clean shop
- Assists in teaching safe work habits
- Maintains tools
- Keeps hardware inventories in order
- Reads interprets, and explains design drawings
- Builds and installs scenery at the discretion of the Technical Director
- Other duties as directed
How to Apply:
Click on the link below