Preparations for Work
Before applying for on campus student positions, students must visit the Student Employment Office to complete paperwork that is necessary to work on campus. This paperwork includes the completion of tax and banking forms.
Before visiting the Student Employment Office, be sure to Bring ONE of the FIRST FOUR Items:
(1) A Passport
(2) An Original Social Security Card and Government Issued Photo
(3) An Original Birth Certificate and Government Issued Photo
(4) OR, any other document listed on the back of the I-9 form
Students must present physical authentic proof of identification when they complete their tax and banking forms. It is important to note that the identification documents cannot be copies or expired. These documents are required to verify both the student’s identity and employment eligibility.
At the Student Employment Office, students will:
- Complete the following forms: Federal W-4 and Federal I-9 forms, a Maine W-4 form, and a Direct Deposit form.
- To download and print each form, select the links above (You must complete the Federal I-9 Form at the Student Employment Office). You have the option to begin completing the forms prior to visiting the Student Employment Office. If you choose to do so, please download and follow these Instructions.
- International Students Take Note: Do not complete the forms above. Other documents are required of you. Come to the Student Employment Office to set up your work eligibility. For more information regarding employment for international students, select HERE.
Shortly after completing the tax and banking forms while at the Student Employment Office, and presenting valid proof of identification, students will have access to their electronic Work Authorization Card (WAC) on the Garnet Gateway. The WAC acts as proof that the student has been approved to work on campus. Students must have their WAC before they can apply for OR start working in on campus positions. Potential on campus supervisors will ask to see students’ WAC before allowing them to begin working. Students who are eligible for Federal Work Study or Bates Work Study will have a card indicating their WS status in the bottom corner of the card.
Next step: HOW TO LOCATE A JOB