Speaking to Learn at Bates
Writing at Bates is much more than writing—we want you to succeed at all sorts of communication, from oral presentations to posters. At the Speaking Studio in Ladd, a Peer Writing and Speaking Assistant can help you prepare for, rehearse, and polish an oral presentation at any stage:
- Plan an outline for your talk
- Draft a mock-up of your poster
- Go over your notes for your speech
- Watch you rehearse and give reactions as an audience member
- Record your rehearsal and watch the playback with you to offer tips about your body language, tone, and use of visuals
To meet with a Writing and Speaking Assistant at the planning stage, simply drop in to the center during open hours.
To have a full rehearsal (with or without videorecording) in the Speaking Studio, it’s best to make an appointment (but we will take drop-ins as we’re able).
If your whole class is preparing for presentations, your faculty member can ask us to set aside a block of appointments; ask your instructor to contact Daniel Sanford, the Director of Writing, if dedicated time for you and your classmates would be helpful.