Bates at Night: The new residence halls

Two months into the first school year for Kalperis and Chu halls, the new residences on Campus Avenue, and the verdict from students is in.

“It really feels like a community,” says Isabella Del Priore ’19 of Cos Cob, Conn., whose friends on campus often come to her floor at Kalperis Hall to study or relax.

Across Franklin street in Chu Hall, a group of first-year students gathered watching TV in a second floor lounge, awaiting the start of the Duke vs. Kansas men’s basketball game.

“Our whole floor knows each other,” says Thomas Coyne ’20 of Falmouth, Maine, thanks in part to large, accessible common areas outside of students’ rooms.

His friend Jeff Spellman ’20 of West Roxbury, Mass., quips, “I don’t even live here, and I spend all my time here.”

Down the hall, Talia Binns ’20 of Interlaken, N.J., shares a room with Daniella Pascucci ’20 of Needham, Mass. Both their mothers are interior designers, so Binns and Pascucci appreciate the modern design elements. “It’s so nice to live in this building for my first year,” Binns says.